Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Costa Rica....who's been? Help needed.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Costa Rica....who's been? Help needed.

Feb 6, 2018, 2:46 PM

Family wants to go there in the fall. I want to rent a house on a phat beach somewhere and experience life like a local. A Boss Hogg-esque ugly American-sterotypical local.

Wife wants to go to a resort because some uncle's brother's sister's cousin's friend told her they once knew an Ex-pat and it wasn't safe.

My point is that if going to a resort, you might as well go to Florida, but my logic is not being readily accepted.

I know we got some jet setting mofos on here-who's been? Am I right about the house being the way to go? Any evidence as to Costa Rica's inherent safety that I can print out and leave in the middle of one of her magazines like I'm trying to get a Red Ryder for Christmas?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brother of Greenr lived in Costa Rica the summer after

Feb 6, 2018, 2:52 PM

college, around '98. He stayed in a "tree house" saving turtles from poachers. He went down there with long hair but came back bald because they contracted lice at some time. I don't think this helps you at all, but if you are looking to slum it hippie-style, I can get you suggestions that are probably not relevant to today.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, buddy of mine used to go there every summer

Feb 6, 2018, 2:54 PM

around the same timeframe. He'd take $500 and live like a king for the entire summer.

From what I gather, Nicaragua now is about where Costa Rica was then. Cheaper due to riskier, but generally awesome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Friend of a friend once made a living

Feb 6, 2018, 2:57 PM

playing online poker in Costa Rica. I think he made a baby and has a real job now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make sure you drink a lot of the local water

Feb 6, 2018, 2:57 PM

all of it

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't stay in one place, move around

Feb 6, 2018, 3:04 PM

There is so much to see in Costa Rica. From the cloud forest, to arenal volcano/hot springs, to Manuel Antonio, take a few days and stay in each spot.

Be careful if going through Jaco. We stopped at a black sand beach, and returned to a fully looted car. Spent two days without passport or money and trying to beg for things at the embassy until we were back on our feet.

So yeah, some parts are 'dangerous' with theft. Don't be stupid like me and leave anything in your car. Do be adventurous like me and see as much as you can.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Costa Rica is totally safe.

Feb 6, 2018, 3:19 PM

I mean, I can't name one single person I know that's every been killed there.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Costa Rica is totally safe.

Feb 6, 2018, 3:26 PM

We just got back a couple of weeks ago with my family. Spent 10 days in various locations. Feel free to Tmail me and I can help you out. Great country.

Did you go to Luis' Inlet Kitchen?***

Feb 6, 2018, 3:45 PM

Re: Costa Rica....who's been? Help needed.

Feb 6, 2018, 3:31 PM

I went.

My buddy married a Costa Rican chica a few years back.

We spent a week on the beach at Tamarindo Diria. Did the zipline tour and spent the rest of the time getting shithamered and running around on the beach. I managed to wander around at all hours of the night and not get interfered with, but I was solicited multiple times by pro's. Somewhat sketchy, but overall it was safe.

We spent the last weekend in San Jose at the Ritz for the wedding. It was just basically a city. Nothing to call home about.

The local girl was freaking out and kept warning us that we were going to be kidnapped/raped/murdered, but it didn't happen.

My in laws just got back from Costa Rica. They had a blast as well.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

TIL that ryanadidas' in-laws are Costa Rican suicide bombers***

Feb 6, 2018, 3:36 PM

Re: TIL that ryanadidas' in-laws are Costa Rican suicide bombers***

Feb 6, 2018, 3:44 PM

If you need somebody to house sit while you're gone, SarahAdidas has a teenage bi-curious cousin who could help you out. He'll house sit, dog sit, helll I think he'd probably sit on anything you asked him to.

Re: Costa Rica....who's been? Help needed.

Feb 6, 2018, 3:36 PM

I'm married to a Tica and have been many times. Definitely safer behind the fences. Not all resorts are the same. IF you want one less than 2 hours from San Jose I suggest Punta Leona. Stay away from Jaco to stay, for younger folks and somewhat of a dump.

Would also suggest going to see Arenal and if you want to go to a beautiful National Park, stay in Drake Bay (more primative than resort) and go to Corcovado National Park.

If you get stopped by the cops for speed, make sure you have $$ on you to pay them off.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

STAY AWAY FROM ARENAL.

Feb 6, 2018, 3:38 PM

It will make your butt bleed even if you haven't done it in a month.

I've never been

Feb 6, 2018, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Costa Rica....who's been? Help needed. ]

The nephew hiked it five or six years back. He said it was beautiful and also had a local family take him in for a a couple of nights. I guess it's like everywhere else. It all depends on who you meet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've never been

Feb 6, 2018, 3:47 PM

I had a few local gals offer to take me in, but 5000 Colones seemed pretty expensive at the time.

***saved you a click: 1USD = 500 Colones ***

Very true.

Feb 6, 2018, 3:48 PM [ in reply to I've never been ]

I was hiking in the California desert once and a very nice family let me stay with them a few nights at Spahn Ranch.

More notes

Feb 6, 2018, 3:38 PM

Spend as little time as possible in San Jose. There's nothing there. Get in car and head NW or SW.

Saw some amazing wildlife, drove across scary ### bridges (no GPS), monster crocs. Rooms and lodging were always safe. Once we even rented a room off a stranger holding a sign near where we wanted to stay. Most crime is petty theft, so just stay safe and don't leave ANYTHING out or unattended on the beach.

Most leisure travelers stay at a resort out on the Nicoya peninsula. Can do some nice trips to Nicaragua or cloud forest from there. Fishing is nice off the west coast too.

You'll do fine staying at resort with family. Just try to spend a bunch of time away from the hotel and out in nature/wondering. You want to be as close to nature as possible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IT IS AWESOME. HAVE FUN.

Feb 6, 2018, 4:38 PM

I went there a few years ago and would love to go again. Locals are friendlier than any other place I've been to. My favorite part was actually far from the beach, up in a treehouse in the jungle. I'll send you info on that if you want. We wented through airbnb.

As for the beach, we stayed on the Caribbean side but I hear the Pacific side is very nice, and I have a hunch it's better. That said, I can advise as to a few towns on the Caribbean aside. Again, we used airbnb for lodging.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

I'm going for my honeymoon

Feb 6, 2018, 4:41 PM

Staying at resort because points. Looks pretty secluded and has a lot of included activities.

Can T-male more if interested. Don't want to get internet dox mobbed while smashing my new wife

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic