Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Contenders or Pretenders?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 2,450

Contenders or Pretenders?

Jul 28, 2012, 12:37 AM

I say we're legit contenders. If we beat.....When we beat FSU, we have smooth sailing until that road game against Wake that could trip us up but besides those 2 games, I see greatness this season!
Go Tigers!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Contenders or Pretenders?

Jul 28, 2012, 12:52 AM

I honestly cant tell how I think we will do. Part of me believes that we may explode and have a really good year and that the coaches quietly believe we can be great.The other part thinks bout 9 wins max that we may struggle erly in the trenches but catch fire midway and roll everybody from there on out. Who knows either way...I think we will be a good team.

We have a tough road this year, don't fool yourself

Jul 28, 2012, 1:34 AM

a lot of tough games this year, but I think we'll do fine

Hate to say it but I believe it hinges on the Auburn Game

Jul 28, 2012, 1:39 AM

If we win that, then I see 11-1

Lose that and then I see an 8-4 season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate to say it but I believe it hinges on the Auburn Game

Jul 28, 2012, 1:57 AM

no way

Re: We have a tough road this year, don't fool yourself

Jul 28, 2012, 2:02 AM [ in reply to We have a tough road this year, don't fool yourself ]

we have 6 games(AU,FSU,VT,GT,NCST,SC) that are gonna be tough games but the best part is out of those 6 critical games 4 (Technically one of those 2 away games is neutral)are at home...@ tallahassee is imo the toughest of the 6

Jul 28, 2012, 2:09 AM

Clemson's got as good a shot as anyone not named LSU, Alabama, Oregon or USC.

Those 4 seem to be a step above the rest and from there down you have a bunch of teams with flaws that could cost them games.

Jul 28, 2012, 2:15 AM

Im not sold on Oregon being in that group...but I agree that we are heading in the right direction ...but yes we have as a good a shot as anyone does...I just think we are still a year away from truly being a player for the whole thing

Jul 28, 2012, 2:23 AM

I can see that. I just think people too often link "will do it" with "can do it." Clemson is a contender. The fact they probably won't be a top 2 team in the country doesn't mean they weren't contenders.

Jul 28, 2012, 2:50 AM

To me being a contender is a team that every year they have themselves in that lead group throughout the season and when the end of the season hits youve got a chance....Gives you a chance to get in the title game every so often...if you can do that youve become one of the elite(unlike that team down the road who claim theyve arrived because they won 10 reg season games and won the credit card bowl)

on the road at Wake on Thursday after short turn around...

Jul 29, 2012, 3:47 AM [ in reply to Re: We have a tough road this year, don't fool yourself ]

that one has my attention as well.

Re: on the road at Wake on Thursday after short turn around...

Jul 29, 2012, 3:56 AM

Nah

We BARELY beat them last year, and that was in Death Valley***

Jul 29, 2012, 4:11 AM

Re: We BARELY beat them last year, and that was in Death Valley***

Jul 29, 2012, 4:16 AM

that was last year...we wont sleep walk through the first half this year

Jul 28, 2012, 2:39 AM

I think we lose to AUB and FSU, people start jumping ship, but finish 9-3.

We just do not have enough experience on our lines for me to think we will fly out of the gates.

next year will be our year, we return pretty much everyone, again.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2012, 2:52 AM

who u think the 3rd loss is to...I think youre right bout fsu but aubarn i think we beat....i honestly see 10-2 and 6-2 in acc play

Jul 28, 2012, 8:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Contenders or Pretenders? ]

We will lose 9 starters off the 2012 team. So, we aren't returning nearly everyone. We will return a lot but, still have holes to fill.

I see us going 11-1.

Jul 28, 2012, 7:54 AM

We have too much talent, not to.

Re: I see us going 11-1.

Jul 28, 2012, 8:19 AM

Oh,and FSU,and USC don't have as much talent.And winning close games at home last season against FSU,and Wake gives you a lot of confidence we can win both on the road.
And how about back to back games against the two Tech's.
And the last time I checked,talent alone doesn't win football games.

Re: I see us going 11-1.

Jul 29, 2012, 3:57 AM

we play sc at home

Jul 28, 2012, 8:14 AM

I say contenders,but the road games at FSU,and Wake concern me.
We barely beat both teams at home last season,and we all know our success rate against Wake in Thursday nite games.
Another thing,and this is just my opionion.I hate that word greatness.Define greatness!Is greatness a National championship,an ACC Championship,a 10-2 season with a win over the Gamecocks?Is greatness a 13-0 season ,an ACC Title,but a loss in the National Championship game?
How do you define greatness?

Re: Contenders or Pretenders? (long)

Jul 29, 2012, 4:27 AM

Again, I don't post much but am a student of the game and happen to have a little bit of football knowledge. All that being said,our university is great. Clemson is God's country- period. On to the facts of the season. We return incredible talent in our skill players and I hate to beat a dead horse, but how we do this season depends on our line play- offensive and defensive. That's the facts, guys. FACT- last year with the exception of the VT game we had to depend on our offense to out score everyone we played in order to win. Our defense was pathetic, and DEFENSE wins championships. Remember Bama in the NC game? Mighty LSU made it past the fifty maybe twice the entire game. Venebles will get it done, and if our current recruiting class holds we are getting the people to do it on the defensive side. On offense, IF our guys up front give Tajh time he will pick them apart, and Andre will run it down their throaths- IF. Games are won in the trenches. Our program is headed for great things and I am excited about where we are going, but it may take another year or two for us to get there. I say we go 11-1, and if the stars line up and we are a little lucky then 12-0. We beat Auburn in the opener then the sky is the limit. We beat AU and FSU then look out-

Ok IMO

Jul 29, 2012, 5:00 AM

In all honesty I have no idea what the win/loss record will really be but I like this team, do we have questions..yes but so does everybody in america(even the self proclaimed preseason national champs in columbia have major questions..though they wont admit it) 1. Depth and Plamaker at DE. Somebody between Malicah and Crawford has to step up and be the guy whose gonna live in the backfield and put constant pressure on opposing QBs. Then we need to find a #2 behind both our starters and it must come from somebody out of Dodd,Lawson,Beasley,or Aiken. 2. LG and RT all the other spots I feel really good about but Kalon and Gifford Must be consistent and if they are and if the whole group can gel early then look out this offense could be explosive. I feel like the OL will make a lot of people eat crow...They will be shaky at times out the gate and thats to be expected but once they get that cohesiveness we will really start to roll people. 3. Rashad Hall will he be back to 100% game 1 and can our safeties have a better year this year/ I believe this unit will probably be the most improved on the entire team. Now on to the schedule there are 6 games I feel are our toughest competition (AU,FSU,GT,VT,NCS,& SC) We play one at a neutral site and get 4 at home. IMO thats huge and can be a major reason to why we can have a dbl digit win season. Yes I know we play wake on a thurs and at wake but lets be honest..last year the team was still in a funk from their first loss of the season and was sleep walking through that first half when we woke up we charged back and won.I dont think you will see us have games like that this year,because I dont think the leaders on the team will allow that. One of the things that I really like about this team and why Im so confident in our ability to come out and get dbl digits in wins is our leadership in the lockeroom. Team leadership in the lockeroom is one of if not the most important trait that the championship teams have. I feel like this program is building leadership and a culture that not working hard and being unfocused will not be tolerated. I truly believe we are starting to build a program that will be get to the next level and stay there for a long time. GO TIGERS

Re: Ok IMO

Jul 29, 2012, 5:15 AM

I like the way you think sir- you put it out in vivid detail. I agree on all levels.

PREDICTIOIN

Jul 29, 2012, 5:32 AM

i dont know about this year i see 10-2, or 8-4...........but in 2013 we will win the NC

Replies: 24
| visibility 2,450
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic