Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Defense Leads Nation in Yards/Play
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,370

Clemson Defense Leads Nation in Yards/Play

Nov 18, 2018, 5:40 PM

Probably the most impressive statistic about this year's defense is that they lead the nation in yards/play currently at 3.77 yards/play. There is only one other team under 4.0 (Michigan @ 3.97) and only 29 teams total under 5.0 yards/play. Also, our yards/play has been steadily dropping each week. We didn't pad this against weak competition in September.

By means of comparison, Clemson's 2014 defense was #1 in yards/game and held opponents to 4.03 yards/play. There has only been one defense in the last 10 years that was lower in yards/play (in 2011 Alabama held opponents to 3.32 yards/play).

This year's defense is historically good. They really do have the chance to be legendary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

The most amazing stat to me is that our 1st team defense

Nov 18, 2018, 5:44 PM

has not given up a TD since September 29th. Absolutely crazy!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Defense Leads Nation in Yards/Play

Nov 18, 2018, 5:48 PM

Very impressive and thanks for sharing!

3.77 yds per play is even more impressive in these days of illegal hits, protected QB's & WR's, and conference refs predisposed to throw a flag every other play. Bama's 3.32 yds per play in 2011 may never happen again in this pro-Offense era.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2018, 5:56 PM

It would be interesting to see what are stats are when the first team guys are playing as a unit.
Even with the fact that Dabo substitutes freely it really allows for a fresh group in the game at all times and the numbers are great because of that.

I can already hear the experts saying next year that we will not be good because Wilkins etal are gone to the NFL.
Coach is preparing for 2019 every day. I bet we open next year in the top ten.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2018, 6:04 PM

If my numbers are correct, in our last 6 games we have given up 45 points (4 TDs & 7 FGs) for an average of 7.5 points per game. And some of those points were given up in garbage time. In the Duke game, almost one-half of their total yardage occurred in the first quarter.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2018, 6:12 PM

Just a little off, Joe. We've given up 49 points in the last 6 games for an average of 8.17 points per game. There were 5 TDs (one missed extra point) and 5 FGs, but the defense only gave up 3 TDs. Two of the TDs came on special teams, i.e. one on a kickoff return vs. Louisville and one on a punt return vs. Boston College.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Yeah, considering the the fact that they've only played

Nov 18, 2018, 6:07 PM

an average of three quarters, they've got to one of the best all time.

Nov 18, 2018, 6:09 PM

The stat that’s most important we lead the nation in also 12.1 pts a game is unbelievable

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,370
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic