Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can Gonzaga do it?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Can Gonzaga do it?

Mar 28, 2017, 12:00 PM

I'm not rooting for the Coots in anything, but I'm afraid we may see them run the table. I hope I'm wrong.

The Coot defense is simply overwhelming IMHO. They swarm opponents offenses like a metaphor that I definitely can't post because of forum rules. I'm worried the underdog hunger plus the rabid attitude that's part of this state's sports fan bases might push them through.

Someone please prove me wrong on this one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gonzaga's defense is just as good as SC's.

Mar 28, 2017, 12:11 PM

KenPom actually has them at 2 points per 100 possessions better defensively (adjusted for opponent). OFfensively, Gonzaga is 10 points per 100 possessions better.

Gonzaga is like SC, except Gonzaga has the luxury of having elite big men. I think Gonzaga wins by around 8-10.

Re: Gonzaga's defense is just as good as SC's.

Mar 28, 2017, 1:11 PM

If the Zags are hitting the threes
then it's all over, and their D is just as good.

Can Gonzaga do it? They are favored by 6 and the favorite****

Mar 28, 2017, 12:14 PM

Re: Can Gonzaga do it? They are favored by 6 and the favorite****

Mar 28, 2017, 12:20 PM

UF, Baylor, Duke were also favored...

UF was basically a toss up. UF was favored by 2 maybe.

Mar 28, 2017, 12:25 PM

That was basically a toss up. Baylor lost 5 out o their last 11 games to finish the season. Baylor was sketchy and most people that follow closely knew that Baylor was in for a fight. Gonzaga, Oregon, and UNC are on comepletely different levels.

Re: Can Gonzaga do it? They are favored by 6 and the favorite****

Mar 28, 2017, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Can Gonzaga do it? They are favored by 6 and the favorite**** ]

Yep, and I can't believe a Clemson fan would bring up underdogs or how much a team is favored. How many times has our Clemson teams blown that theory completely out of the water in pieces!!! Underdog and favored has no meaning for a team that wants it more than anything they can think of!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every team that's left will play with heart and passion******

Mar 28, 2017, 12:39 PM

Afraid sc athleticism and speed is much better than Zags. Hope I'm wrong.***

Mar 28, 2017, 12:18 PM

Gonzaga has the size. I will be somewhat surprised if USCjr

Mar 28, 2017, 12:26 PM

wins the game. I have already bet Gonzaga. I am not even being biased. South Carolina was in a really weak bracket when they faced Baylor and UF.

Their guards are pretty athletic. Karnowski isn't quick or

Mar 28, 2017, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Afraid sc athleticism and speed is much better than Zags. Hope I'm wrong.*** ]

athletic, but he's still a load inside and a pretty skilled finished in the paint. The Zags have better perimeter shooters as well.

The big key for them is not to turn the ball over and let SC run up and down and get points of turnovers. They need to keep in the half court, shoot their 3s and let Karnowski pound them inside. I don't know if they will have much success getting into the lane off the dribble against SCs defenders, but i think they can use Karnowski to facilitate and get their 3 point shots that way if SC collapses on him.

If Karnowski doesn't get in foul trouble the Zags win.

Mar 28, 2017, 12:35 PM

If the Coots wwin this game they should hope to play Oregon who isn't that tough on the glass. The Coots would have issues with UNC due to UNC's rebounding. USCjr does best against teams without size who they can impose themselves physically against, such as UF.

Re: Their guards are pretty athletic. Karnowski isn't quick or

Mar 28, 2017, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Their guards are pretty athletic. Karnowski isn't quick or ]

The key for any team to beat usuc, is to put their best player on Thornwell and not allowing him space to shoot. In the first half especially, try and take his legs going in the second half. I know, easier said than done, but Zag didn't get there and not be able to limit their opponents best players.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can Gonzaga do it?

Mar 28, 2017, 1:00 PM

Have you even watched Gonzaga this year? This isn't the normal zags team they are athletic and big. This is by far the biggest zags team I've ever seen and their 2 starting guards transferred from PAC 12 teams and their starting pf transferred from the SEC. The best NBA prospect on the Zags comes off the bench so to answer the question yes they can do it and I expect them to impose their will. The Zags play better defense then the coots as well according to statistics.

Re: Can Gonzaga do it?

Mar 28, 2017, 4:10 PM

I've watched some of their games.

Carolina has an "in your face" type of physical game. They aren't a finesse team like Duke. The Coots mob the court, arguably one of the most physical teams I've seen in a while. That said, Gonzaga has bigger players which could negate all of that. I think we are going to see a lot of fouls, the team that doesnt get intimidated wins.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic