Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best defensive player on the team??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Best defensive player on the team??

Aug 7, 2014, 1:45 PM

Something that Drobins posted earlier about the DT's reminded me of a conversation I had with Roy Philpott and Larry Williams while waiting for the team to come out for interviews one night this week.

We were talking about the defensive talent, and I asked them and a few others who they thought the best player on the defense happened to be. If you ask most fans, they will say Vic Beasley without hesitation. Ask the coaches or opposing coaches, they have a different opinion.

Those two kind of thought along the same lines as me - Grady Jarrett is the best player on the defense, but Stephone Anthony is in the convo along with Vic. Vic rushes the passer extremely well, needs to work on his run defense. Grady is just a beast. Watch the Ohio St. game and those cats never blocked him even though he was double-teamed.

Thoughts??

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they're a trifecta of destruction...

Aug 7, 2014, 1:48 PM

who is the best of the three? who cares! Bring all three!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I predict a couple guys emerge who are not in the discussion

Aug 7, 2014, 1:52 PM

right now.

Keep an eye on Tony Steward.........if you follow recruiting you know before his first injury in high school he was actually rated the #2 player in nation behind Clowney. Then he dropped, although still a five. Then gets injured at Clemson......I think he is finally really 100% ready and knows the defense. And having a great DL will only makes LBs look better, which also points to Anthony but that is obvious.

Blanks is another for similar reasons

Aug 7, 2014, 1:54 PM

he was moved, in my opinion, out of position his sophmore year as he plays much better closer to line of scrimmage and then he got injured. But this is a 4 border line 5 star talent.

David, you should try and use your media platform

Aug 7, 2014, 1:52 PM

to popularize the nickname "Death Row of Death Valley" for this year's (and last) DLine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shaq Lawson?

Aug 7, 2014, 1:55 PM

I know he doesn't get as many reps, but he may be our most productive player defensively. With increased playing time, I would expect him to post some huge numbers, just don't know that he will get the chance this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going with Grady. Without him Vic doesn't get 1on1s

Aug 7, 2014, 1:56 PM

No team can single cover Grady or he'll whip the guy and be in the backfield almost immediately. He's the anchor of our run defense and is disruptive enough that teams can't afford to double team our DEs or he and the other DTs will ruin their day.

Obviously its hard to pick a clear one out of Beasley

Aug 7, 2014, 2:04 PM

Jarrett and Anthony.

But I agree with True on Steward. If he remains healthy, he could ultimately be the best player on this defense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best defensive player on the team??

Aug 7, 2014, 2:12 PM

Thinking Anthony will have a great year! Teams will have to do a lot of double-teaming on Vic, Grady, Crawford, and Watson. That should open up a lot of space for Anthony and Steward to stunt and get in the backfield.

so, they don't know shyatt either?

Aug 7, 2014, 2:19 PM

;)

most fans know what they read or here. maybe he should get more press? hmmmmmm...

this isn't a bad start.

;)

he's not flash, he's not fancy, he's just ####### good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jarrett has been criminally underrated for awhile now.

Aug 7, 2014, 2:41 PM

I think i posted the exact same thing a week or so ago, but it's true.

Hard to pick between Anthony, Jarrett, or Beasley***

Aug 7, 2014, 2:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Team game... What one does directly impacts the others.***

Aug 7, 2014, 2:46 PM

Re: Best defensive player on the team??

Aug 7, 2014, 2:49 PM

Why of course Taveris Barnes!! Just ask him.

loseor.***

Aug 7, 2014, 3:16 PM

it's tavaris..

Aug 7, 2014, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Best defensive player on the team?? ]

coot

You retire the PFs...?***

Aug 7, 2014, 3:17 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic