Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Based on an infamous poster to this boards reasoning Wofford
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Based on an infamous poster to this boards reasoning Wofford

Mar 3, 2019, 4:02 PM

must spend more on basketball than we do. They are ranked #24.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Re: Based on an infamous poster to this boards reasoning Wofford***

Mar 3, 2019, 5:27 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are 1-4 against P5 teams

Mar 3, 2019, 5:28 PM

but yea I'm sure schedule has nothing to do with it.

Well, they have beaten UNCheat in Chapel Hill, something

Mar 3, 2019, 5:30 PM

we have never done!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On the Hole...

Mar 3, 2019, 5:48 PM

There have been 'things' happen in 'The Hole' that defy logic...that can't be explained by even Divine Intervention. Heck, that streak should have ended in '74 when Reisinger was mugged on a rebound. Amazingly, officials can swallow whistles, yet recover without a Heimlich maneuver. On second thought, perhaps it is 'Divine Intervention'...deja vu...again...and again.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Based on an infamous poster to this boards reasoning Wofford

Mar 3, 2019, 6:59 PM

Agree with you Ithom22. We must invest more money into our basketball program if we want more W’s. Wofford use to be everybody’s whipping dog as an NAIA program then as they moved the ladder of college athletics. Wofford this little school in Spartanburg, SC. As they moved up in divisions they also became winners. They are now dominant programs in both football and basketball. As they moved up, they began spending more money on athletics. They invested in a first class football stadium hired a young energetic HC Mike Ayers. Wofford eventually has become an elite program in both football and basketball. They recently invested millions into their basketball area. They hit a grand slam. It’s as impressive on the outside as it is on the inside. There is not a bad seat in the house.

I never thought Wofford would make it to the NCAA tournament but they have made on a few occasions and this year are rejected to be a number 8 to 10 seed. They have had 2 HC’s in the last 30 years. Richard Johnson and Mike Young have achieved great success with Wofford’s basketball program.

IMO we need to invest more money on the outside of LJ and on basketball in general. Then either get behind Brad B or fire him. If we fire him we should take a chance on a young energetic HC and give him all the support we can and give him plenty of time to change the losing culture to a winning culture. It want be accomplished as quickly as Dabo did with football. We have been lagging behind many others programs for years and should not expect immediate sustained success. But is is going to take more money and time.

If we as fans are not willing to do the above, get behind the program then we need to learn to enjoy the successes as they come and accept Clemson basketball for what it is. Some years we are a pretty good team and some years we are an average program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Based on an infamous poster to this boards reasoning Wofford

Mar 3, 2019, 7:19 PM

Truthfully, I think the athletic department, the administration, and a lot of the fan base, care that much as long as football is going well. As long as the program isn't a total embarrassment, they just don't care to fool it. Now as far as investment? They have spent quite a bit on facilities over the least few years, so I don't think spending cash should be an issue. Was a bit surprised that they gave Brownell a lengthy extension last year. The man has been at Clemson for what, this is his ninth year now? Had a decent season last year, and for their seeding drew the luckiest seed in the tournament that let them get to the sweet sixteen. Other than that, the program hasn't been as good as what he inherited from Purnell. And their isn't nearly the same excitement around the program. Purnell used to out some big crowds in Little John for league games. And the arena had more capacity at that time. Seems as if these days the only time it gets full is when Duke, or UNC, come to town. But Brad pulled the old Cliff Ellis trick. Have a decent year when your contract is on the line, then return to mediocrity. And with the folks that the team is losing to graduation, next year is probably going to be a struggle. I've never been much of a Brownell fan. You can call it snake bit, unlucky, whatever you want, but losing close games that could be won seems to be a trend that flows year after year. After a while you have to figure it just isn't the breaks of the game going against your team.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic