Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we a spoiled fan base? Have we lost the fire and fury?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Are we a spoiled fan base? Have we lost the fire and fury?

Jun 30, 2018, 9:02 PM

In all of the recent success of the Clemson Tigers we have gotten a tad bit spoiled in my opinion. When your team is the top program in the nation it can be detrimental to the health of the program. Hear me out on this.

1. Winning all of the time creates a condition where fans expect it every game we enter. When there is a loss, it is disappointing to an extreme level. We immediately look for someone to blame rather than realize that it's just football and losses happen. Luckily we haven't lost to South Carolina during our run of major success.

2. 10 wins for many fans just isn't enough. We've grown accustomed to winning at least 12 games per season, so more than one loss is no longer acceptable. This is not a realistic outlook in college football. Which is what makes the game exciting in my opinion.

3. When does having success every season become too much for us? Meaning, when do fans begin to lose interest in watching the games because it's assumed that Clemson is going to win anyway?

4. When there is no further climbing the mountain does that cost us a margin of our fan base? I know personally for me, I've enjoyed the ride watching Coach Swinney build the program from grass roots to what it has become today. If we keep bagging playoff appearances every season it could get old for many very quickly. Don't get me wrong, I love winning because fun is in the winning, but when does winning become boring to us?

I said all of this to make a statement. I've enjoyed the climb, and I almost wish I could watch it all over again. I miss the days when the media doubted our team, and we would upset the pundits. It made it more fun for me. Now, even the media expects us to win. We should appreciate a hard fought loss once in a while, and we should also appreciate the wins even more. We should never lose sight of the hard work and dedicated effort that goes into the program each and every season. From recruiting to camps that our coaches run it all works towards the same effort. A trophy in January. Personally, I love everything about football and David Hood can attest to this. I actually have a borderline Clemson Football addiction. I actually watch a Clemson game every Saturday during the offseason because it helps with season withdrawals. That, and there's another story that is a private one, but let's just say that Clemson Football is a big reason why I'm still alive today. One day I will take my children and grandchildren to the games and they will hopefully share in my passions for the magic of it all. It's a beautiful thing so let's enjoy every minute of it. Like a fine bottle of wine that you've been saving for years. Once you pop the cork, the bottle eventually ends up empty. So drink up that orange goodness and get ready for a prolific season.

GO TIGERS!

Biscuits and Gravy Y'all

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

YeP but I still have Underdog in my Orange Blood & Mentality..

Jun 30, 2018, 9:06 PM

thus I still have a bit of a Chip on my shoulder..but confess not as big due to success and now being the Top Dog.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: YeP but I still have Underdog in my Orange Blood & Mentality..

Jun 30, 2018, 9:09 PM

Lighbulb, I'm assuming that you go back quite a few years and have laid witness to many eras of Clemson Football. Be honest, is this the best era of your lifetime thus far? I'd bet you anything that it is. I wish my grandfather was still around to watch this success. He died in 2012, and he played for Coach Frank Howard. His footprints are still at Tillman Hall. The last game I watched with him was the Textile Bowl against NCST in 2011 and we got smeared. The next season we laid it down though. He was gone though and never got to watch the revenge. He'd be beside himself today if he could see the games.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller

Yes Siree 0311, best since Danny!

Jun 30, 2018, 9:18 PM

Glad you & GrandDad were Clemson close & saw and/or attended games together.

And, a crisp Salute to him..for playing for Coach Howard & being a Clemson Tiger!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a feeling....

Jun 30, 2018, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: YeP but I still have Underdog in my Orange Blood & Mentality.. ]

your grandfather hasnt missed a game, from the best seat in the house. :)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are we a spoiled fan base? Have we lost the fire and fury?

Jun 30, 2018, 9:30 PM

An excellent post Chesty.
Well written with several valid questions and points.
I for one definitely enjoy the rise to ascension equal to the pot of gold at the top(well, practically equal).
I can't imagine anyone saying they're not somewhat spoiled and take a degree of it for granted. It's human nature.
That said, I expect to win eleven regular season games, win the ACC C'ship game and play in the National C'ship game; ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm probably off base, somewhat

Jun 30, 2018, 9:57 PM

But I tend to equate 'spoiled' with 'entitled'. I can say, unequivocally, that I take nothing for granted. I've enjoyed the 'Dabo Reign' and look forward to many more years (may his reign outlive my own. Scratch that...I'm not going that far! ;) )

I grew up a Bama fan, since I was born in LA. It wasn't until I enrolled at Clemson that the tint of my blood began its' transformation. I enjoy the ribbing with my Bama relatives, including my sister, but I'm dyed-in-the-wool Tiger for over...ahem, well over 20 years. LOL! Ok...over 40. Sigh...where did it go?!?

Anyway, I'm so appreciative of a well-run program with emphasis on the 'whole Clemson man', not just the outcome of a game. I recall 10-15 years ago, while officiating soccer matches, I was fortunate to work a game for a team from San Diego. The team had every player signed with a college...every single one. An article on the coach explained his emphasis, which was, respect and learn the game, be a good teammate and work as one. No how to adapt, deal with adversity and overcome. Most of all, keep your mouth shut on the pitch. When asked about wins, he said it's never discussed. Winning, or losing, is the outcome of preparation...it proves whether the work was put in, but it was not the end all.

In some respects, that's what Clemson football has now...and I take immense pride in that. How they handled 'Ls' against Bama, Pitt, 'Cuse says as much or more than the W's. I'm good with that...but...Nattys are good...real good! :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm probably off base, somewhat

Jul 1, 2018, 9:56 PM

I like your comments. Dabo answers the bell for me, too. While he is never-ending about competitiveness and winning, that is not the most important thing to him, and it comes across in the way he lives his life and the things he emphasizes as the important take-aways he wants his players to carry with them as they become productive members of society. I wouldn't trade Dabo for any other coach I ever even heard of, because Dabo embodies success, on and off the field. That's what this old Tiger wants in a leader for our sports programs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2018, 9:47 PM

Great post, and your questions and comments are spot on. Personally, I'd just as soon stay spoiled rotten with the success we've enjoyed lately, and I expect we will see it for quite a while, too. Coots? Not so much. They will beat some of the lesser talent around, but when the competition is real, they don't have the juice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2018, 9:50 PM

Great post Chesty. I do notice a change in my approach to our current program but there is no decrease in my level of support or enthusiasm. Except for several years when we had good teams, my interest was always based on hope --- hope that this would be the year. Now that we have attained a status we consider elite, rather than hope, we now expect success. I suppose my many years on this earth has taught me that nothing is absolutely perfect. If we were to go undefeated and win the national championship, we would still have some complain. I don't like to lose, but I've learned to consider it a small bump in the scheme of things.

I readily admit that my pride in our football program is not strictly limited to the number of wins on the field. Seeing these young men walk across the stage to receive their diploma and having successful careers only adds to that pride. Seeing these young men giving back to their school and community defines their character, reflecting directly on their family at home, their teammates and the coaching and support staff. I realize we are not the only ones that can make such statements but we are the only ones who can say, "we do it the Clemson way", and that sets us apart from all other schools.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2018, 9:59 PM

I wish I could give you a double TU for the last paragraph of your post. IMO, that is what sets this program apart from so many others. That is the true measure of a successful program.

Jun 30, 2018, 9:53 PM

As long as the players and coaches don't lose their fire and fury, we will be ok

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2018, 9:56 PM

I graduated in "75 and attended Clemson during the Hootie Ingram and Red Parker coaching days. Now that was a miserable time but we survived. I remember my watch party for the "81 Natty. I still wake in fear the sweet dream didn't happen. Now I feel confident about competing at every game, even during the one or two we lose from time to time. You might say I expect to win but I still get very nervous before every game.
Thanks for reminding us to stay humble.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. And No.***

Jun 30, 2018, 10:03 PM

As John Paul Jones said "We have just begun to

Jun 30, 2018, 10:05 PM

fight." 2 NC's don't put you at the top. To be looked on as a true elite power you have to build and climb. On level and then past FSU with 3. On up and past Oklahoma and Miami with 4 and 5. And so on. Lots of battling in front of the Tigers. After the Sugar Bowl last year I am ready to see this team get back and get the job done. GO TIGERS!!!!

Re: As John Paul Jones said "We have just begun to

Jul 1, 2018, 6:15 AM

I guess that's one way to look at it. Brings the competition to a new spectrum of climbing the mountain.

~Chesty Puller

Yes we're spoiled! Never fear the market corrects itself.

Jun 30, 2018, 10:19 PM

Eventually Alabama will even tumble. Therefore so will we. Enjoy this time now and never take it for granted. Go Tigers!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2018, 10:37 PM

I could say a bunch and probably write a book about Clemson memories. Snowflakes whinny about getting hurt on the hill makes me sick. Back in our day that was a right of passage. Students fought to get in then.

Wish some of the younger crowd could go back and sit through the 60’s 70’s and 80’s. You wouldn’t feel entitled and you certainly wouldn’t take any of these moments for granted. You wouldn’t leave games early, wouldn’t have a phone on, no, you’d cherish each and every one of these moments. They are truly special... but those early years were special too!

Wouldn’t trade a single memory!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2018, 8:06 AM

Absolutely we are spoiled, and I'm not ashamed to admit it bc there is nothing wrong with being spoiled, and it says a lot about the job our coaching staff has done for our Clemson Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2018, 8:35 AM

I grew up in rural SC where the only sports we knew were sandlot baseball and outdoor basketball. My first Clemson game was a Big Thursdsy game. I think it was 1957. I liked Clemson. After that game I detested South Carolina. I’ve never looked back. Was season ticket holder from 1975 until 2001. Loved every minute of good and bad.

Some might be spoiled. I savor every victory,especially football. Read everything I can about Clemson,not just football. It’s the closest place on earth to heaven for me.

Jul 1, 2018, 8:51 AM

All things that are, are with more spirit chased than enjoyed.

However, there’s nothing like a healthy sense of conspiracy to keep the fire burning. Everyone else out there is pulling for us to lose. My motto is “ Clemson against the nation!” Actually have the t-shirt

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Similar thing happened in the 80’s

Jul 1, 2018, 8:58 AM

The crowd seemed to go from enjoying the wins to dreading the losses.

As has already been said, the biggest challenge is to sustain this high level of success.

We’ve had some recently great teams but in terms of a historical program, we aren’t on top yet, but we can sure see it from here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

The difference though is that we could count on a couple of losses a year in the 80s.

Jul 1, 2018, 12:27 PM

With 1981 being the exception. We weren’t really a legitimate national championship contender otherwise. A solid top 10-15 program for sure, but not a top 3 program like we are now.

The 80s were great, but not comparable to what we are experiencing now. These are the best of times, for sure!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jul 1, 2018, 11:06 AM

The way our coaches coach during the game will always ensure we have short finger nails and stay glued to the game.......maybe it’s by design.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic