Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyjuan else remember getting snow while attending CU?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Anyjuan else remember getting snow while attending CU?

Jan 4, 2018, 11:24 AM

I think it was maybe 2003? We got snow and stole cafeteria trays from Shilleter or whatever the dining hall was called, and used them as sleds over there by Hartwell. Good times.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This guy does...

Jan 4, 2018, 11:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Lakip!!

Jan 4, 2018, 11:30 AM

He said Spence planted that on him, and I believe him.

Re: This guy does...

Jan 4, 2018, 12:17 PM [ in reply to This guy does... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Re: Anyjuan else remember getting snow while attending CU?

Jan 4, 2018, 11:30 AM

It was the best! Snowball fight then find a warm bar to thaw. Then more snowball fights. Best vantage point was on top of TTT.

Worst was when the ice came. Busted my ice going down steps to library.

I was there in 2003

Jan 4, 2018, 11:35 AM

And I, too, took a tray from schilletter and slid down hills

Jan 4, 2018, 11:36 AM

I've been lucky and we have had snow days at least once the past 5 years. My freshman year we had two separate snow days and I had a test pushed back three weeks.

Winter of 79-80

Jan 4, 2018, 11:39 AM

Flew home to VT for the holidays and had a green Xmas. Flew into Greenville airport 1st week of Jan and there was an inch of snow on our car. Also had a 4 inch storm later in Jan or Feb. No trays left in the cafeteria.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:45 AM

Yes! I believe it was '95 and we slid down the hill behind the shoeboxes. Good times!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The shoeboxes were definitely the place to do a little

Jan 4, 2018, 11:46 AM

sliding into things. It got very slippery, very often in there. Many a virginity lost.

Re: The shoeboxes were definitely the place to do a little

Jan 4, 2018, 2:54 PM

You were in the shoeboxes in 2003? I lived in Geer then, what about you?

By 2003 I was in McCabe

Jan 4, 2018, 3:00 PM

I was in the shoes in 2002. I didn't bang you, though. If that's what you're worried about.

January of 1989 (or 1988) we got close to 20" in Clemson***

Jan 4, 2018, 11:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

So it was up to your waist?

Jan 4, 2018, 11:49 AM

Asking for a friend.

It was 1988 ... and it was 14"***

Jan 4, 2018, 2:57 PM [ in reply to January of 1989 (or 1988) we got close to 20" in Clemson*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

might have been 14 in 88 but 20 now and 24 by 2020***

Jan 4, 2018, 4:23 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the walkways were solid ice for 2 weeks

Jan 4, 2018, 6:19 PM

back in the day they didn't close school. This was before the PC ultra wuss generations although the hippies were the ones that started it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was 1988 ... and it was 14"***

Jan 4, 2018, 7:45 PM [ in reply to It was 1988 ... and it was 14"*** ]

I don’t care what year it is, I never believe anything over 7”... please don’t post pigs to prove it.

Re: January of 1989 (or 1988) we got close to 20" in Clemson***

Jan 4, 2018, 6:17 PM [ in reply to January of 1989 (or 1988) we got close to 20" in Clemson*** ]

Yep. I remember that. Plenty of bread and milk but NO beer in the convenience stores. Spent many hours in TTT. Man, that was a GREAT few days.

88. At the tiger mart across from Riggs field

Jan 4, 2018, 6:49 PM

An employee didn't show up for work because of the snow, the clerk on duty left when his shift ended leaving the store open and unattended for hours. All the beer was looted. True story. Good times

Jan 4, 2018, 7:59 PM [ in reply to January of 1989 (or 1988) we got close to 20" in Clemson*** ]

Was it like that mysterious Grey snow that struck Charleston yesterday??

That kind of snow piles up quick....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2018, 4:38 PM [ in reply to January of 1989 (or 1988) we got close to 20" in Clemson*** ]

Picture of 1988 snow outside my Golden Woods apartment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Yes - in the mid-70s when I was in school we had snow.......

Jan 4, 2018, 11:58 AM

and such a cold snap that the reflection pond in front of the library froze over to where people were skating on it - looked like a real skating rink.

The funny thing was seeing the people from "warm climates" who had never actually seen snow before.

Re: Yes - in the mid-70s when I was in school we had snow.......

Jan 4, 2018, 12:02 PM

Yup, January '77...never got above freezing the entire month. Pretty crazy...watching the fire department spray the pond down each evening to smooth the ice as best possible. To this day, I wonder where all the skates came from! LOL!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember that there was a group of students or some.......

Jan 4, 2018, 12:52 PM

business in Clemson who went down to Atlanta and got a bunch of skates to rent.

Re: Yes - in the mid-70s when I was in school we had snow.......

Jan 4, 2018, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Yes - in the mid-70s when I was in school we had snow....... ]

Funny you should mention people who never saw snow before. My wife was the head resident in Johnstone A section when I was getting my masters. We had two students from Jamaica. They had never seen snow and were afraid to go outside.

Used to walk to class in the snow, uphill, both ways.***

Jan 4, 2018, 12:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I lived across the bridge towards Seneca and walked to schoo

Jan 5, 2018, 8:21 AM

l so, if fact I did walk uphill to school both ways.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

January 2011

Jan 4, 2018, 12:15 PM

First 3 days of the semester cancelled

I remember that well.***

Jan 5, 2018, 9:39 AM

There's something in these hills.

Jan 4, 2018, 12:23 PM

Snowed in 1990. Accidently hit my buddy in his face on Bowman and broke his glasses.

Jan 4, 2018, 2:11 PM

One year the pool in front of the library froze and people were ice skating.

I've lived in Clemson since 1955 and never saw a 20" snow. The most we ever had was about 10" - 12". One year the mid and lower state areas got as much as 24" -28" and not a snowflake in Clemson.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyjuan else remember getting snow while attending CU? ]

I was there. Football game in the snow on Bowman in ‘90.

Jan 4, 2018, 2:18 PM

Got mine this year! My first semester here last December. Pretty memorable. My first day of class at Clemson was a solar eclipse and my one of my last was snow.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember, we had a blast.***

Jan 4, 2018, 3:02 PM

Jan 4, 2018, 7:04 PM

About 15” in late March 1971. Had just got married. My new wife had just graduated nursing school and was working at Seneca Hospital. She got stuck there for multiple shifts and the national guard finally brought her home in a deuce and half covered troop transport. She about froze but took it in stride. Knew I married a winner.

In '65-'66 - either Dec or early Jan,

Jan 4, 2018, 7:53 PM

living in Deacs frat building. Worst snowball fight in history between frats. Saw a snow{actually ice)ball make a circular hole through the window on landing in stairwell in dorm that hit a guy in the chest so hard he couldn't get his breath. Made a huge bruise. Wasn't safe to venture outside.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 8:01 PM

We got some snow in 98 or 99. Got trays from Harcomb. Of course, we put 4 trays under each of the 4 legs of a couch and built a huge ramp at the bottom of the Dyke nearest Esso. Those were some of the best wipe outs ever!!

Getting that couch back to the top was no fun though...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 8:04 PM

Sounds about right. Living in University Village at that time. Went to Ingles for beer. Good times.

Yes. 1996. There was a huge snowball fight in the quad

Jan 4, 2018, 8:04 PM

Fraternities, sororities, or non affiliated did not matter. Everyone was having a blast until a streaker came through and with nothing on but a stocking cap with a puff ball on top. Every single person there IMMEDIATELY turned their attention and snowball throughing to him. He got pelted over and over til he made it inside and the streaker was running as fast as he could and laughing just as hard as everybody else.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Jan 4, 2018, 8:57 PM
2012.jpeg(70.7 K)

Jan 5, 2018, 6:20 AM

January/February 1979. Emptied Harcomb of their trays. Slid down the hill at Clemson House. One guy slid down the hill into a cop car. He was cuffed and jailed. Bombarded the police with snowballs for that

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Jan 5, 2018, 8:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Yes, the winter of 1979 was my favorite. Death

Jan 5, 2018, 8:37 AM

Valley was open due to the fact they had some finishing touches still needed on the new south side upper deck.

About a dozen of us walked from B-5 Johnstone down to Death Valley and played a game of tackle football in a heavy snowstorm (snowed about 9 inches that day). Great memories!

Re: Yes, the winter of 1979 was my favorite. Death

Jan 5, 2018, 9:38 AM

After reading the first page of comments I started thinking "Am I the oldest guy on this thread?" Then started seeing the 70's students chime in. We were told in January 77 that it was the first time the University had closed due to snow since the 1950s - but I never heard if that was true or not. I was a frat guy too. Someone bought a keg and that day was a blast. I actually still have pictures taken that day. Fond memories

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I was a freshman in 1977. I remember the talk about

Jan 5, 2018, 4:43 PM

Clemson University not being closed due to snow for a long time, until 1977.

Jan 7, 2018, 4:58 PM

1977 snowed bigtime

Yes. January 1987.

Jan 7, 2018, 5:41 PM

and I was pelted by snowballs while exiting me dorm.

Late March/early April of '72--snowed 10" or 11"

Jan 7, 2018, 6:18 PM

you could see the very tops of fully grown jonquils all over campus.

Having a VW bug with the engine in the back pretty much compensated not having expensive 4-wheel drive but it did put ya in the taxi biz. Had to leave around lunchtime to drive to Atlanta for a friend's pre-wedding shenanigans.....the trip down I-85 was fun---especially around the Toccoa exits.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic