Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Andy Griffith was a staunch Democrat
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1,187

Andy Griffith was a staunch Democrat

Sep 20, 2019, 3:59 PM

He was a good ol’ boy and the wisest person I’ve ever encountered. He may even have been the reincarnation of Christ. He didn’t carry a gun because he valued respect over fear. You gun toting tough guy trumpsters need to watch a few episodes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you know he got to write the endings on the tv show

Sep 20, 2019, 4:07 PM

If I could write the ending for each episode, I would feel a lot safer.

Re: Andy Griffith was a staunch Democrat

Sep 20, 2019, 5:36 PM

Yeag because real life is sooooo much like TV back then as compared to today when it comes to crime and criminals right?

Funny, never saw the Cartels/MS 13, opiod clods, meth heads, Bloods or Crips or Ayrian Nations tools either in Mayberry? Maybe that is it , you just hit on the whole premise of MAGA. Maybe Trump just means he wants all of AMerica to resemble Maybery, by gawd you are an unwitting genius I tell you.

Sep 20, 2019, 6:02 PM

You have a better chance of being killed by your wife with your own gun than having to use it on one of those people.

Sep 20, 2019, 6:14 PM

You made the comparison Cup, I just told you why life was easier in good ole Mayberry. Heck, Andy and Barney only had harmless old Otis who actually came and locked himself up. Maybe Earnest T. Bass but he only chucked rocks. Oh, maybe once in a blue moon you had an inept bad guy come passing through not like today though right?

Sep 20, 2019, 8:41 PM

Way to dodge the facts. I mean listening to you and Trump I should be scared to go outside for fear of being hit with a flying burrito.

And actually there were several episodes where Andy had to use a gun. He made a lot of political statements in his shows. One was where a woman ran for office and the town went into an uproar.....

We are slowly progressing but ######## like you are holding us back. It’s actually safer now than it was in the good old days when America was great.

Sep 20, 2019, 9:20 PM

Now now boy you posited something and now you lack the smarts to carry on a conversation. You are left with only venom and name calling, funny stuff skippy.

Holding us back, son you were never going or leading.

Sep 20, 2019, 9:39 PM

Now I get you do not like guns, great thing is you are free to exercise you rights under the 2ND to chose not to own guns. You do not have the right to make that choice for others.

Sep 20, 2019, 10:03 PM

I own three guns. I just clearly see we need stricter laws.

Sep 21, 2019, 2:43 PM

AirSoft, Red Ryder and ?????

Seriously, folks like you zero on on the sensational shootings when more folks are killed every week and nary an evil black rifle in sight. That is my issue with folks like you in fact, tunnel vision,

Go ahead expand background checks and waiting periods, will not really matter. Why? Because it only tells you what a person has done to that point. Same with mental health checks, it is not a future predictor. I do not care, require all these as it would not affect me and it really will not stop one from already owning weapons and then having them go postal. Will it stop some from buying a weapon,sure, so that is good thing. When it occurs again what is the next step?

Require private sales to be completed by an FFL that performs a check, all good.

As to why own an AR style rifle? Well, many reasons and as long as they remain legal then people will buy them. .223/5.56 is not great for hunting, bullets grains too low but they make good varmit rifles for smaller game, cheap ammo makes them great plinking guns. Now an AR-10 chambered in .308 is a fine hunting gun.

Millions upon millions of 30 round mags out there, ban them and limit capacity to what? I think Ca. Has a 10 round capacity now.

Sep 20, 2019, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Andy Griffith was a staunch Democrat ]

There’s some debate about that:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2018/04/30/that-time-the-cdc-asked-about-defensive-gun-uses/amp/

You should consider moving. Your neighborhood sounds dangerous***

Sep 21, 2019, 11:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Andy Griffith was a staunch Democrat ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You should consider moving. Your neighborhood sounds dangerous***

Sep 22, 2019, 8:48 AM

Dang Dave, where were you with those sage words before I put in the SAW sites,tunnels,WP flare system, trip wired claymores? That would have been far easier. Plus I would not have had to order a case of black bandanas off Amazon too.

Like the movie Saw?

Sep 22, 2019, 9:05 PM

MS13 wouldn’t mess with that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did he have his gheydar on when you met him?***

Sep 20, 2019, 5:40 PM

Re: Did he have his gheydar on when you met him?***

Sep 20, 2019, 6:03 PM

Gomer was one of Andy’s friends and he was ghey.

Sep 20, 2019, 6:16 PM

Andy did not have a clue, old Gomer was deep in the closet. Now if Andy had come round to find old Gomer working on a car in a pair of Daisy Dukes with his shirt tied up around his chest wearing stripper heels that might have been a whole nother story.

Are you people arguing about the age of sitcom

Sep 20, 2019, 8:49 PM

characters from more than 5 decades ago? What is wrong with you?

Sep 20, 2019, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Did he have his gheydar on when you met him?*** ]

Interesting observation. Little Richard and Bob Denver come to mind, as well as many others during that time.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2019, 9:24 PM

I think Bob Denver was straight.

Bob Denver would $&@? anything with a pulse,

Sep 22, 2019, 9:12 PM

As long as he could film it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2019, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Did he have his gheydar on when you met him?*** ]

Idk....if he would have known Gomer was queer he may had a boyfriend wrote in. Andy was pretty liberal for his day but of course the show wouldn’t have been anywhere near as successful.

Quite the random thread...

Sep 21, 2019, 3:43 PM

Thought it might be Andy's birthday, but...nope. Sippin' TinCup, perhaps?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

remember that episode where the bad guy says to Andy

Sep 21, 2019, 3:51 PM

remember you don't carry a gun and Andy says
but my deputies do
and a handful of characters were there with rifles and shotguns

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and then Goober did his Carey Grant imitation.

Sep 22, 2019, 9:13 PM

Judyjudyjudyjudyjudy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: remember that episode where the bad guy says to Andy

Sep 23, 2019, 11:27 AM [ in reply to remember that episode where the bad guy says to Andy ]

Yea I also remember the one where the farmers refused to stop selling on the roadside and Andy said he could get them off without a gun.

These cops today whip their guns out at the first sign of a threat.

Sep 21, 2019, 5:51 PM

So is 90% of the prison population.

Sep 21, 2019, 7:22 PM

He also lived in a town that valued religion and the idea of a traditional family. No need for a gun. The worst thing he encountered was the town drunk who sat beside him at church.

Democrats know zero about that kind of utopia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2019, 11:16 AM

Pfft. The only one that was married was Otis and of course he was the one with the drinking problem. Barney regularly stepped out on Thelma Lou with Juanita at the diner.

Sep 23, 2019, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Andy Griffith was a staunch Democrat ]

He also lived in a town that valued religion and the idea of a traditional family. No need for a gun. The worst thing he encountered was the town drunk who sat beside him at church.

Democrats know zero about that kind of utopia.

Right, and you wanna 'splain to us how your guy Trump values 'religion and traditional family values'?

Was it the 3 wives, the admitted adultery or the pron star he had sex with that garnered your religion loving, family values support? ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2019, 3:52 PM

Yep, but back then all KKK members were too.

Sep 22, 2019, 10:55 AM

You got a point to make, make it. But I'm here to remind you that before blacks were given the vote the white supremacy was all within the democrat party. Honest Abe was a republican.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What, you don’t remember all those black characters on TAGS?

Sep 22, 2019, 9:17 PM

Why, Andy was so progressive that many people forget that Good Times was a spin-off of the Andy Griffith Show.

Re: What, you don’t remember all those black characters on TAGS?

Sep 22, 2019, 10:21 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, but back then all KKK members were too.

Sep 22, 2019, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Yep, but back then all KKK members were too. ]

You got a point to make, make it. But I'm here to remind you that before blacks were given the vote the white supremacy was all within the democrat party. Honest Abe was a republican.

Now, now! You can’t go around tossing facts out there! You will be be tagged as a racist, a bigot, and a Trumpster!

Lawd...

Sep 23, 2019, 8:06 AM [ in reply to Yep, but back then all KKK members were too. ]

Are you another person who doesn't know about the ideological shift during and after the Civil Rights Act? You really don't know all those KKK boys and white supremacists fled to the GOP?

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

question for you........a pondering, if you will....

Sep 23, 2019, 8:49 AM

Of the 26 Dixiecrats who formed to block civil rights from appearing in either party's platform, how many went to the GOP and how many went to the Dems when they disbanded?

I'll wang up and glisten.

Re: question for you........a pondering, if you will....

Sep 23, 2019, 9:22 AM

That's a pretty weak sauce attempt at a "gotcha". Of course, the answer is three, but you're only pulling a small microcosm of the entire big picture to somehow make a false point. The Dixiecrats weren't the end all be all of the ideological shift. As you mentioned, you're only talking about 26 total people.

You know the parties switched ideologies and the voters went with them. You're too smart not to know this. The Civil Rights movement was the primary catalyst, but there were other factors as well.

Would you like me to post electoral college maps and other voting maps that illustrate just how it changed? Or platforms from the parties then and now?

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

we are a representative democracy, which I know

Sep 23, 2019, 10:54 AM

You know means those men represent exponentially more citizens than 26 people.

The parties switching ideologies is a fairy tale. The true racists were with the Democrat party and they never left. Richard Russell filibustered the anti-lynching bill in 1935 just like he filibustered the civil rights act of 1964. The biggest shift wasn’t with racist leaders switching allegiances, but with the African American vote abandoning the Republican Party. This is all on Goldwater’s shoulders, and it’s because the man is wonky at a level that would make Ron Paul jealous, not because he was a racist. Quite the opposite actually, as he had voted for previous civil rights bills and was a card-carrying NAACP member, but thought the 64 act was unconstitutional. This “missing the forest for the trees” pretty much sealed the fate of the Pubs with the AA vote from then until present day.

When it comes to party leadership though, the majority of the white sheeters and hate mongers came from the Democrats and never left. For a true racist, I imagine that the New Deal achieved results in the black community that they could only have dreamt of.

Re: we are a representative democracy, which I know

Sep 23, 2019, 11:06 AM

As I mentioned, there were many factors, but it simply isn't true that the "true racists" never left. Plenty did and this was an effect felt even more so on the local level of politics. The Dems outside the South moved in a different direction and gradually

Do you think a hardline white supremacist would vote Dem today? The ideologies shifted completely, and the two parties are nothing like they were decades ago. Honestly, still pointing out those racist actions back then for either party is akin to Notre Dame fans still harping about their football success under Knute Rockne. Different time, different people, different systems.

If it's a "fairy tale," why are their platforms basically flip-flopped now compared to back then?

I guarantee anyone today who cheers Republican and hollers, "Lincoln freed the slaves!" would have been on the front line for the Confederacy in 1861.

I think the issue with your question

Sep 23, 2019, 12:33 PM

(the one about hardline white supremacists voting Dem) is that it seems you're only looking at overt, over the top cases of fringe groups who openly shout "white power" and have marches.

Are those people voting Dem? Nah, and I get that. It seems that they're having to pick their poison these days though, as I can't imagine that Jim Bob Gomer likes hearing the GOP gush about Israel and courting the Jewish vote.

I think in modern times (well, up until the past decade or two anyway), the Pubs got painted with the wrong brush because their stance of rugged individualism and the obligation/right of the individual to succeed or fail on their own with the government getting out of the way had people mistaking callousness for bigotry. From what I've seen in my life though, there's no one happier to see a poverty to prosperity success story (white, black, brown, yellow, whatever) than a conservative/Republican (I no longer use those terms interchangeably). They want that path to exist with limited restrictions, and are happy when it is followed.

Where racism exists in the modern Democrat party, it's quite a bit softer...unconscious even, but far more detrimental to those impacted by it. On the outside looking in, it often feels like the left treats minorities and the poor as domesticated pets.....they're worthy of love, often pitied, but incapable of survival on their own without constant attention and resources being thrown at them. To someone with my viewpoint, this is the most insulting and racist (intentional or not) viewpoint of all, and I think the black community has been absolutely decimated by all the "help" the left has given them.

Nowadays, it's gotten where I can't really tell the difference at the govt level, at least as it concerns actual US citizens.....both parties are for expanding government and furthering handouts, they just differ in who they're pandering to in order to get votes.

Last thing...a story, and I'll start by acknowledging that anecdotal evidence doesn't prove a point, but it sure helps form opinions. Total D-bag I used to loosely associate with (by associate I mean I saw him at the country club a couple times a month) was a rabid Democrat lawyer. He wasn't Bill Gates but he did well, probably bringing home $350-400k, and at every opportunity he'd badmouth whatever Pub was being discussed, throwing out racism accusations and regaling us with stories of his donations to his party. Well, if you got him drunk enough, he'd finally admit that he had the political affiliations he did because he knew that his lot in life was "locked in", and that the policies he supported would ultimately ensure that he remained in his "place" and that those receiving govt assistance would remain in "their place". (As an aside, this toolbox was a large part of the reason I never agained joined a country club after leaving this one). Does this guy prove my point? Nah, and I understand that, but I would be astonished if a lot of well-off Dems don't feel the same way when not surrounded by polite company.

Re: I think the issue with your question

Sep 23, 2019, 2:24 PM

I won't go line by line but say that I agree with most of what you've written here. I think that's why any cheerleading or demonizing of old versions of the parties is silly. Both are different animals now and both have a less than stellar record when it comes to treatment of minorities (even the Pubs used Emancipation as more of a strategy than a humanitarian effort during the Civil War).

I don't think there's anything wrong with your anecdote as a symptom of part of the problem. It's not a definitive piece of evidence but shows the hypocrisy in the system. To go with that, I have a friend who is a die-hard Trump guy and, especially on Facebook, will spout off just about any right-wing talking point he comes across (and shares any meme that does it as well). Get him out to happy hour and get a few vodka tonics in him, and he'll quietly admit he doesn't believe a lot of the #### he spouts publicly. But that's who he is surrounded by with friends and family and that's the image he projects. On Facebook, he'll support any Trump immigration policy. Drunk at the bar, he'll tell you he can't stand that kids are being held in detention camps.

I dunno, do we liken that to our football team love? Publicly we'll support all things Clemson, but privately, maybe we'll criticize some things? But politics shouldn't be that way.

I also concur on what you said about how today's Dems treat minorities. I think the party itself often only sees them as tools to elevate Democrat power and, as you said, "domesticated pets." I think that approach is less sinister than some of the stuff coming out of the GOP towards minorities, but not admirable nonetheless.

You mean like Robert Byrd?

Sep 23, 2019, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Lawd... ]

Those racist?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean like David Duke?

Sep 23, 2019, 8:47 PM

We just gonna name some random racists on each side and somehow think that proves our point?

Re: Yep, but back then all KKK members were too.

Sep 23, 2019, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Yep, but back then all KKK members were too. ]

“I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races … I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.” - Honest Abe, Lincoln-Douglas Debate, Sept. 18, 1858

You probably don't want to go there my friend... :)

Sep 23, 2019, 1:49 PM

TinCup14® said:

He was a good ol’ boy and the wisest person I’ve ever encountered. He may even have been the reincarnation of Christ. He didn’t carry a gun because he valued respect over fear. You gun toting tough guy trumpsters need to watch a few episodes.

I liked Andy a lot and think he was a good man. But being the reincarnation of Christ is a little much. We must remember that what we know of Andy was what Andy wanted us to know about him.

I do, however, think that Barney was probably doing Aunt Bee. Nothing is as perfect as Mayberry. :)

If you're trying to find the seedy underbelly of Mayberry

Sep 23, 2019, 1:51 PM

look no futher than Floyd. There's no way he wasn't playing good touch/bad touch with 50% of Helen Crump's class.

Peggy was hawt

Sep 23, 2019, 8:50 PM

Mary Simpson, county nurse was hawt too

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2019, 10:55 AM

That was when the Democrats were really Democrats. That is not the case any more. The Democratic Party no longer exist and is now the Liberal Party also known as the Hate Trump Party. Not to mention hate America party, hate God party, love illegal citizens more than American citizens party, and depend on foreign countries for all our energy needs party just to name a few.....unbelievable corruption and lying is all they know how to do these days......Go Tigers!!!!

Replies: 48
| visibility 1,187
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic