Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alabama/SEC Arrogance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Alabama/SEC Arrogance

Sep 17, 2013, 10:06 AM

I attended the Alabama @ aTm game with my wife this past Saturday. My wife is an A&M almuna, and she's been to Death Valley twice. So, I thought I should return the favor by finally attending an A&M game. We had seats in the Alabama section, since that's where the "cheapest" tix were on StubHub. We were sitting beside this Alabama couple that were probably in their 60s, I'd say. I was sitting beside the lady, and my wife was on my other side. They were really nice, and we had small talk and talked football throughout the game. About midway through the second quarter, the lady came out with statement that kinda caught me off guard and really surprised me (based off of their previous conversation). The lady turns to us and says, with her endearing Alabama twang, "You all must be so proud to be in the SEC." Unable to stop myself, I proceeded to laugh out loud for about 8 seconds. I wasn't mean, but I really couldn't help myself b/c it was so stereotypical. I then reiterated that I'm a Clemson graduate and don't really believe in the whole conference love thing. My wife responded by saying that the conference move seems to have helped recruiting and that she's just proud of the recent success of the Aggies.

I'm still kinda in disbelief that just being in the SEC automatically creates pride and a sense of elite status. I guess I thought that it needed to be earned and couldn't be gained simply by moving conferences. I'm so glad I was shown the light this past Saturday afternoon.

I heard different Alabama fans mentioning SEC this and SEC that during the game and when we were walking out of the stadium after the game. They really do think that football in the SEC is on a completely different level and that being in the SEC somehow makes a player/program that much better.

I just thought I'd share this with all the Tiger faithful. It was a real eye opener that it's not just ESPN hype... these people actually believe it.

SMH

GO TIGERS!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, in their defense,

Sep 17, 2013, 10:08 AM

They've won a bunch of titles lately. I mean just saying.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

alabama has won 3 of 4. auburn won 1 with scam newton,

Sep 17, 2013, 10:48 AM

who we all know ( well, everyone except the ncaa,) that cam AND his dad knew what was going on with the $, u of florida won 2 and urban then took the scenic route outta dodge. so, let's recap, we have deer antler spray at 'bama, $cam newton @ auburn, meyer taking the midnight train outta dodge, and les miles at lsu ('nuff said). yeah, the sec has won 7 straight, but can they keep a straight face talking about them ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cult Mentality

Sep 17, 2013, 10:21 AM

The SEC lovers all remind me of those cults where there is one supreme leader (Saban) and everybody else aspires to be like him. I wonder if they will all try to catch the hail-bopp comet when their leader bolts for Texas next year?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ball Bounced That Way----

Sep 17, 2013, 10:42 AM

A few earned National Titles and quite a few
National Title games that they have fallen
through the backdoor in, by way of the BCS
...the media....some NCAA politics....statistical
research....swaying young recruits.....
see where this starts to snowball??

Re: Alabama/SEC Arrogance

Sep 17, 2013, 11:02 AM

I tailgated (in plenty of orange) at the game but did not get tickets. I Got plenty of shouts for "Go Dabo" and "Tajh" while on campus but nothing about getting to watch the big boys play.

I think it was during the Rice game that one of the commentators said that he was surprised Rice was holding their own against "SEC players". First thought was that Kentucky has SEC players too, right?... but what does that say about the WKU players? Second thought was that the juniors and seniors on A&M's roster were recruited by a team in the BigXII, not the SEC. So when did they turn into superior SEC athletes? Must be some super powers in the SEC patch on the uniforms.

Sep 17, 2013, 11:12 AM

Does anyone even remember when an SEC team did not win the NC? Was it before the Chris Leak/Tebow days?????

THAT is why fans of SEC teams are proud of their conference in case you missed it. Just saying. Heck - I'd be just as proud of the ACC if our conference held that honor.

And are we not constantly reminded of how it's going to be at least ONE SEC team in the NCG, and maybe if we're lucky, a team from another conference? Sheeesh. We need to WIN and keep on winning, and things might just change someday.

Of course, if we win enough, the SEC will invite us into their conference, and then what will we say???

Sep 17, 2013, 11:19 AM

how many of the current Texas A&M starters were on the team before they joined? I'd say that Sumlin and Johnny Football are the difference. Being in the SEC may have contributed to some "swagger", but I would say the Alabama win last year was more of that then the conference move. Just my opinion

Sep 17, 2013, 11:58 AM

would you rather be in the sec or big 12 if you were a&m ? where is the big 12 headed? it now only has 10 teams and where will the other two teams come from when they have to get to 12 to have a conference championship game next year? will texas and okl leave for the pac 12 as has been reported? the big 12 is on some shakey ground now and imo a&m made the right move by going to the sec and has passed texas for recruits because mack brown has stayed too long. I think the old lady has some valid points. given a choice would Clemson rather be in the sec or acc? point made I think, and thanks old lady sec fan.

LMFAO

Sep 17, 2013, 11:49 AM

Alabama has won two titles in a row and, barring a miracle, will play for a third.

Their arrogance is well deserved.

They let an old lady go to the game?

Sep 17, 2013, 11:51 AM

You shouldve broken her hip

Sep 17, 2013, 12:00 PM

There wouldn't be as much SEC hate on this board if scar wasn't in the SEC. I believe there would be some from observing boards of the North Carolina schools who do not have an arch rival in the SEC, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Scar enhances the hatred for the SEC on here, but they have never done anything for that conference but ride their coattails.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic