Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Hill
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 5,152

The Hill

Oct 8, 2017, 1:12 PM

The issue with the students getting injured at the bottom of the hill at the end of the games are the reason for the changes this year. I work on the field for games and this year Clemson asked us to have a crew whose sole responsibility is the hill. All those on the hill have to have tickets for the hill instead of it being an area for students that didn't like the seats they had and went and filled up the hill.

I don't know if you have noticed but not only have they added fencing down one side of the hill, but they have also added several more gates at the bottom of the field. We have requested more than one gate at the bottom of the hill for several years. At the end of some of our bigger games over the last few years (Norte Dame, Louisville, South Carolina etc) there have been a lot of injuries. With just one gate at the base of the hill there were a lot of people being pushed from the crowds behind them. When you have that many pushing down on the gate you couldn't get the latch to release and when it did those up against it would often fall over and get trampled. The latch actually broke off the gate after one of the games last year.

At the end of the Norte Dame game it looked like a war zone at the bottom of the hill. Those that fell and were trampled as well as those those that fell climbing over the fence. We had to act as shields for those that had fallen and had to carry several out of the path of the other people running onto the field. EMS personnel had to access injuries and I know a few were taken away on emergency equipment to get medical attention.

I miss the days of the hill being packed full of loud students that could really affect the ability of the visiting team to get their plays called due to the wall of sound that comes off the hill. I understand the reasoning behind the changes, but I hope they continue to look at this situation and find a happy medium between safety and the things that make the hill special.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A suggestion if I may...

Oct 8, 2017, 1:33 PM

With the exception of the middle where the team runs down, would steps help? I'm thinking steps, still with grass on top would keep the natural look, but be much easier to stand on during the games.

The slope of the hill, naturally pushes people forward. I'm not saying the kids won't push anyway, but the slope definitely encourages it.

For the end of the games, I think more gates will help, but more people to talk to kids before the end of games would help to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A suggestion if I may...

Oct 8, 2017, 1:48 PM
Grass steps.jpg(257.0 K)

A picture of grass steps, FYI...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That makes no sense. Trampling only occurs due to

Oct 8, 2017, 1:39 PM

people running out onto the field after games.

The hill was pretty packed against Auburn.

The only way to avoid trampling is to stop allowing people to storm the field.

Re: That makes no sense. Trampling only occurs due to

Oct 8, 2017, 1:43 PM

There is no mention that anyone was trampled after the Auburn game. THEY HAVE ADDED MORE GATES.

wrong caddy***

Oct 8, 2017, 1:50 PM [ in reply to That makes no sense. Trampling only occurs due to ]

Re: Trampling would stop if

Oct 8, 2017, 1:59 PM [ in reply to That makes no sense. Trampling only occurs due to ]

people used a little sense and consideration but god forbid the little snowflakes do that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absurd

Oct 8, 2017, 1:42 PM

> I don't know if you have noticed but not only have
> they added fencing down one side of the hill, but
> they have also added several more gates at the bottom
> of the field... At the end
> of some of our bigger games over the last few years
> (Norte Dame, Louisville, South Carolina etc) there
> have been a lot of injuries. With just one gate at
> the base of the hill there were a lot of people being
> pushed from the crowds behind them. When you have
> that many pushing down on the gate you couldn't get
> the latch to release and when it did those up against
> it would often fall over and get trampled. The latch
> actually broke off the gate after one of the games
> last year.

You say something had to be done because people were getting injured at the single gate.
Simple, you added more gates. Problem solved. Why are you still hyperventilating.
Typical way that safety dweebs respond. If your pants are falling down add a belt and suspenders.
If it this simple turn off the insanity.

Re: Absurd

Oct 8, 2017, 1:57 PM

From what I can tell the additional gates have helped. My role has changed in that I'm at the West end of the field at the end of the games this year. From talking to the the guys on the hill end it seems to be a lot better this year, but we haven't had the hill as full for games this year as well as we haven't had any real nail bitter games that have come down to the last second either. I'm really hoping that the decision makers account that improvement with the additional gates more so than have a limited number of people on the hill.

Oct 8, 2017, 2:05 PM

YES !!!!
> I'm really hoping
> that the decision makers account that improvement
> with the additional gates more so than have a limited
> number of people on the hill.
Thanks for contributing. Yours is the only explanation that makes any sense.

Oct 8, 2017, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Absurd ]

I just reread your response and to you I say

1. I'm not hyperventilating about any of this. I've seen several post about this on this board and my post was just observations of some of the problems that have occurred at the bottom of the hill. I was briefed at the beginning of the season of these changes and reasoning behind them.

2. As far as being a safety dweeb, whatever a big part of our responsibilities during the game is fan safety, so yeah we do put it at a premium.

3. If you noticed I said I prefer the the hill to be full and a wall of sound. I spent a lot of time on the hill during my days as a student and enjoyed being on the hill.

4. If I implied in any way that I had any input in this decision in any way I have well overstated any of my involvement in this decision. That is decided well above my pay scale. We do have debriefing at the end of games and we have been bring up the issues with the single gate at the bottom of the hill ever since the Norte Dame game

I hope that helps

Ps now I know why we are required to wear belts to the game now

Oct 8, 2017, 2:43 PM

The safety dweeb and hyperventilating remarks were directed at whoever has clamped down on access to the hill. Your subsequent comments hoping that those in charge make changes to loosen the reins show that that is not you.
Again, thanks for your explanation of what has happened to the iconic hill.

Oct 8, 2017, 2:54 PM

It's all good. We are on the same page. I like the addition of the new gates. The hill restrictions not so much.

So it’s your fault!!!!!***

Oct 8, 2017, 1:44 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So it’s your fault!!!!!***

Oct 8, 2017, 2:37 PM

Man I hope not ??

Simple install gates or bollards

Oct 8, 2017, 1:49 PM

Automatically go into the ground

Re: The Hill

Oct 8, 2017, 2:18 PM

I was on the hill during the ND game in 2015. I was close to the bottom and when we went to storm the field I got pinned up against the fence. Fortunately I wiggled away and flopped over the fence. Then I had to get up supper fast because others followed suit. I realized on that night that crowds that size pushing against you are powerful. I thought I could just use my strength and get people off me but thats not possible. You have to go with the flow of people and stay on your feet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2017, 5:10 PM

We were that close to losing life

Oct 8, 2017, 4:15 PM

Turn the hill into an area with seating EXCEPT for about a 10' wide lane in the center for the team to run down.
OR make the hill like the Clemson amphitheater with grass steps as someone mentioned earlier.
BUT it needs to be packed to the gills.

I like this idea of the 10 or so foot strip just for team

Oct 8, 2017, 6:15 PM

to run down and more seats on the sides. Keep the orange carpet down it the whole game and keep people off of it. This would make this grand tradition and piece of real estate even more special. I can see the TV people showing it and talking about it all during the game. Now it just disappears once the carpet is rolled up.

Oct 8, 2017, 5:23 PM

As a man who has sat on the front row for 25 years, I can tell you the new "fencing" installed behind the benches is going to cause more injuries than it prevents. Now all the "rushers", mostly young kids in the first wave, are channeled to the 20's. Now there are more people herded in one area. You'll also not have more people blocking the visitors' exit. And the fences don't prevent people for trying to go over or dismantle them. Plenty of young'ns and dad's have scaled them already.

Get rid of the dumb EMI "Security" people. No one listens to them and they don't have any authority. They also have zero training. Nothing they do mitigates and the risk the university assumes by folks running on the field.

Rant over.

Never been a problem until people starting making a big deal

Oct 8, 2017, 5:53 PM

about rushing the field. Now it's "a tradition" instead of something the students did and some excited kids did hoping to get an autograph. Everybody wants to rush the field now.

Used to go stand on the Hill as a student and for some games just to get another perspective. Now you have gates, and tickets, security personnel? Give me a break.

Another example of a problem created that wasn't there made worse by solutions that make it worse. Almost like a government initiative.

Oct 8, 2017, 5:57 PM

I guess you have a degree in law from usuck!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2017, 6:14 PM

Last I checked we have a pretty good engineering program. As I understand it, they like to figure stuff out. I know we have a good mathematical sciences department and computer science department. They are pretty good at simulating stuff to maximize efficiency.

If we let these people figure out the problem instead of administrators and fire marshals, we might actually get a working solution.

Best is standard in football. It should be the standard in football crowd control as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2017, 6:15 PM

The problem makes sense. The solution has created even more irritations and affected the environment. I find it hard to believe there are people in charge of this fiasco that can’t find another solution and preserve the tradition. We’re not UVA or Wake Forest. Let’s solve this problem and Fill The Hill.

Oct 8, 2017, 7:02 PM

I sat on the hill back in the late 70s and early 80s even though we had assigned seats. There was no problem then with the crowd, if something started coming down with a bozo the people around handled it. I do not recall seeing one single fire on the hill!! So I am with the rest of you lets get the students off the hill and put real fans in their place!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 5,152
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic