Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
why doesn't Clemson sell the naming rights to our stadiums?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

why doesn't Clemson sell the naming rights to our stadiums?

Jan 15, 2013, 11:44 PM

look at Louisville. Instead of Littlejohn it could be the Fatz Cafe Arena. I would leave Death Valley like it is. But we can rename littlejohn, doung kingsmore because noone knows or cares who that is. Rename the other smaller venues as well. It would bring in a lot of money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why doesn't Clemson sell the naming rights to our stadiums?

Jan 15, 2013, 11:45 PM

Define "alot"

Jan 15, 2013, 11:49 PM

Kingsmore gave money to put his name on the baseball stadium.

and you don't think

Jan 15, 2013, 11:50 PM

Fatz Cafe could give more?

Re: and you don't think

Jan 16, 2013, 10:03 AM

That's not the way it works. He paid to build it, not sponsor it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you SERIOUS??????***

Jan 16, 2013, 2:17 PM [ in reply to and you don't think ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2013, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: why doesn't Clemson sell the naming rights to our stadiums? ]

He failed to give what he pledged. His name should be removed and replaced by Bill Wilhelm's. Before the flamers get involved, I know he did not want the recognition.

That's not the way Clemson operates...

Jan 15, 2013, 11:50 PM

I like the fact that names attached to facilities actually have a connection to people at the University instead of being for sale to the highest bidder. JC Littlejohn was a long-time business manager and deserves to recognized somehow. Rock Norman was the track coach. Walter Merritt Riggs was a president of the school and football coach. Doug Kingmore played baseball for Clemson and gave the school a million dollars to have his name put on the stadium. Thomas Chapman gave the school at least a good bit of the money to build the left field stands. The Huckabee family bought the naming rights to the Littlejohn annex.

what about Hoke Sloan?***

Jan 15, 2013, 11:51 PM

I believe he was a tennis coach...

Jan 15, 2013, 11:53 PM

do you want to rename Fike too? How many people know who that is? How many people know who the namesake of Martin Hall is? How about Brackett? Want to sell those too?

Can Clemson sell the names of streets too?

Jan 15, 2013, 11:55 PM

what about street signs? we could put a sticker "this street sign provided by ______" on all the signs

Silas pearman blvd aka perimeter rd...***

Jan 15, 2013, 11:59 PM

not a bad idea

Jan 15, 2013, 11:58 PM [ in reply to I believe he was a tennis coach... ]

I mean what the hell is a sirrine? how much cooler would it be to go to class in Subway Hall

I hope we never do that

Jan 15, 2013, 11:53 PM

When I see other schools do that, it makes me feel proud that Clemson hasnt sold out for a little more money.

We're already starting to name some academic buildings after

Jan 15, 2013, 11:55 PM

Corporate entities and I hate it...

Not crazy about it myself...

Jan 15, 2013, 11:59 PM

but at least those were sold when the buildings are constructed and not 40 years down the road. Of course, the man that started what is now Fluor (or at least this branch of it) was a Clemson trustee. Charlie Daniel was a trustee that owned Daniel Construction, the company that later became Fluor Daniel, now just Fluor.

Michelin Career Center always irks me

Jan 16, 2013, 12:08 AM

Like, seriously...Michelin?

And Sunoco institute...

Some of these "purchased" building/center names are getting outrageously long too, what happened to actually doing more for the university than buying your way in then putting your whole family's first and last name on it. Last name only should suffice if we must.

But I digress...

Re: Michelin Career Center always irks me

Jan 16, 2013, 10:39 AM

The Michelin Career Center is half of one floor of the Hendricks Student Center, I see no problem with letting them pay to have a couple of rooms named after them.

Sadly, the CEO of Flour now is a Coot***

Jan 16, 2013, 3:21 AM [ in reply to Not crazy about it myself... ]

Opps, Fluor***

Jan 16, 2013, 3:22 AM

Thank you.***

Jan 16, 2013, 12:39 AM [ in reply to I hope we never do that ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GHEY idea dude...***

Jan 15, 2013, 11:54 PM

Because we aren't corporate ######***

Jan 16, 2013, 12:40 AM

You first!

Jan 16, 2013, 1:10 AM

Change your name to "Taco Bell" and then see how your friends and family respond.

Then get back to us.

A steep price has already been paid for the naming rights to

Jan 16, 2013, 1:43 AM

Memorial Stadium...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A steep price has already been paid for the naming rights to

Jan 16, 2013, 2:02 AM

Amen to that!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll second that AMEN. People should do a little homework.***

Jan 16, 2013, 4:06 PM

B/c we are Clemson....

Jan 16, 2013, 3:19 AM

We're better than that!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It ain't all about money***

Jan 16, 2013, 5:28 AM

"The Clampett Moonshine and Checkerboard Emporium"

Jan 16, 2013, 8:14 AM

Before you laugh, Jed had 65 million dollars in 1969 purchasing power by the time the show started to wind down, which means by this point they could cover a lot of renovation.

Jan 16, 2013, 8:20 AM

Today, the name "Littlejohn" conjures up images of Clemson basketball in the minds of many alumni. The man for whom the coliseum was named was most certainly a team player, though not on any court. His life impacted Clemson in almost every arena. In 1904, James Corcoran Littlejohn first stepped onto the Clemson campus, not as a basketball player, but as a freshman engineering major from Union County. From that day on, Littlejohn served Clemson until his death in 1959.

As a student, Littlejohn made a favorable impression on many of his instructors including Walter Merritt Riggs. Upon Littlejohn's graduation in 1908, Riggs encouraged him to seek a position at Clemson. Littlejohn heeded the advice and became campus electrician, the first of his many roles at the College. A year later, he began instructing woodworking and engineering courses. Eventually Littlejohn advanced to the position of registrar.

In 1910, Riggs became Clemson's fifth president and was eager to increase Littlejohn's administrative responsibilities. In addition to Littlejohn's duties as registrar, Riggs appointed him to serve as his assistant. In 1926, he was appointed business manager under Clemson President E.W. Sikes' administration, a position he would retain until his retirement in the mid-1950s.

Littlejohn and his wife, Mary Poats, also raised a family in Clemson during those years: sons James P. '32, Samuel M. '36 and daughter, Mary Katherine. Throughout his years of service, Littlejohn was a constant entity through a sea of administrative changes. He earned the confidence and praise of each of the five presidents under whom he served, and he proved himself to be a thoughtful decision-maker for Clemson. President Robert F. Poole introduced Littlejohn as his "faithful sidekick, friend and able boss." The contributions Littlejohn made to Clemson are countless. During the Depression, Littlejohn managed the College's finances, personally guaranteeing that not one person would miss a paycheck. He also helped fortify Clemson's athletic heritage by bringing the athletic department out of debt after years of financial struggle. And he was never too distant from the students, serving side-by-side with them in Tiger Brotherhood and Blue Key. Littlejohn was also instrumental in building many campus facilities, some necessitated by fire, others to accommodate former servicemen attending Clemson. Some of the structures he had a hand in building still stand today: Long Hall, Norris Hall, the Fraternity Quad and Memorial Stadium.

Others, like the "prefabs" — prefabricated federal government housing for WWII servicemen — have long since been removed, but still stand vividly in the memories of many Clemson men and women. The prefabs later became married-student housing for several decades. They were eventually removed to make room for Littlejohn Coliseum, Barre Hall and Lehotsky Hall.

Littlejohn was clearly devoted to Clemson. Throughout his career, he was offered more lucrative positions away from the College, including one from Ben Tillman to serve as the Secretary of the Senate Committee on Naval Affairs. He declined. Even after his retirement, Littlejohn kept an office on campus where he compiled and cataloged historical information about Clemson as he had seen it develop. J.C. Littlejohn's dedicated service, spanning five presidencies and more than 50 years, was instrumental in building the Clemson we know today. Fittingly, he rests in the University's most hallowed place of honor, Woodland Cemetery.

Just don't mess with DV - that name is sacred***

Jan 16, 2013, 8:48 AM

I'm gonna vote no on this.***

Jan 16, 2013, 8:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

^^^^ found one.***

Jan 16, 2013, 8:51 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What'd we find?***

Jan 16, 2013, 8:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hey, i just flush em out for gwp...

Jan 16, 2013, 8:55 AM

he guns em.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GWP knows where to find me, I've given him a key.

Jan 16, 2013, 8:56 AM

winky poo

well, i never venture onto the lunge...

Jan 16, 2013, 8:58 AM

that's posted land.

I venture over there sparingly, mostly just for pics***

Jan 16, 2013, 9:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

i hear there's a 2 drink minimum?***

Jan 16, 2013, 9:44 AM

Sorry but FAtZ cafe blows***

Jan 16, 2013, 9:10 AM

did I say it was the ultimate example of cuisine?***

Jan 16, 2013, 10:11 AM

And to diverge a little

Jan 16, 2013, 11:24 AM

Isn't it great also that all advances and offers to convert prime real estate Bowman Field over the years have been rebuffed?

It could have been made into many things - parking, buildings, etc., but it was protected as a beautiful, open field.

coule be called

Jan 16, 2013, 12:02 PM

Skins Field
Pizza Hut Field
Bojangles Field

Total Wine field***

Jan 16, 2013, 2:15 PM

Clemson

Naturally Fresh Frank Howard Field at Memorial Stadium***

Jan 16, 2013, 2:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hooters Tiger Scoreboard***

Jan 16, 2013, 3:56 PM

NEVER. Especially Clemson MEMORIAL stadium!***

Jan 16, 2013, 4:04 PM

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic