Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2020 recruiting numbers, DL?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

2020 recruiting numbers, DL?

Mar 28, 2019, 10:39 AM

Looking at the scholarship breakdown, we have 14 seniors. Between some early departures of Juniors and any other attrition, you could easily see the 2020 class being 18-20 guys. That all adds up.

Here is the part that doesn't add up, when you drill down to the positions we lose ZERO DLs, no seniors are on the roster. In addition, none of the guys we would expect to go early (like Thomas) are eligible. So that zero STAYS zero for this cycle. But, we already have two DL 2 commits and could be taking up to 3 more.

So where are these 5 spots coming from? It seems kind of weird we may take 5 DLs but lose zero.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2020 recruiting numbers, DL?

Mar 28, 2019, 10:43 AM

One of Kelly, Foster or Pinckney could leave early with a big season, not to mention the year after we'll probably lose 5. So it's called planning ahead.

yeah, all for it, but you can only plan ahead within the

Mar 28, 2019, 10:46 AM

confines of an 85 cap. So "planning ahead" in a given spot, potentially 5 over the target number for that position (which is an assumption on my part) would mean being 5 under elsewhere.

Again, you can only plan ahead within the confines of the 85 limit, otherwise we could plan ahead at every position and hold 200 on roster.

Re: yeah, all for it, but you can only plan ahead within the

Mar 28, 2019, 11:22 AM

Yep, that’s how bammy won all their championships in the 50’s and 60’s.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have 5 that we lost to the draft. We replaced those #s,

Mar 28, 2019, 10:47 AM

but we also had a DE that retired (Yeargin I think) and Jalen Williams transferred. That's 2 we didn't replace and I think the staff is planning on at least one transfer from our current team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have 5 that we lost to the draft. We replaced those #s,

Mar 28, 2019, 10:48 AM

yeah that makes sense, it would suggest that the 2019 roster is a bit under and the 2020 class makes up that gap.

Don't forget that the 5th year is not guaranteed

Mar 28, 2019, 10:50 AM

Dabo has said this multiple times that the 5th year is not guaranteed to a redshirt player. There are also a handful of walk-ons at other spots that we have given scholarships to that will not have them next year, such as the 2 extra guys we are carrying at kicker/punter.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Mar 28, 2019, 12:17 PM

We lost a total of 7 DL last year through draft, Graduation, transfer and retirement. We Added 3 last year. So im guessing We adding 5 this year and pulling 1 scholarship from either the QB or corner/Saftey position seeing as how we haven't picked up but 1 or 2 of those per year over the last couple of years.

Mar 28, 2019, 12:24 PM

Certainly won’t be at QB. Want 4 scholarship QB’s on the roster at all times. Brice I could see being a grad transfer guy

Mar 28, 2019, 12:49 PM

Remember we lost Hunter Johnson, Zerrick Cooper, Kelly Bryant, and Tucker Isreal last year and only replaced those scholarships with Taisun Phommachanh, and put Ben Batson on scholarship if im not mistaken. That means we have 2 qb scholarships that were redistributed. Not crazy to think they went to DL

Mar 28, 2019, 12:22 PM

I see your point, but I assume the staff wants to stock up on DLinemen since it's such an important position. I used to think they waited one cycle too late with some positions, so glad to see this. It seemed like they would have Freshmen replacing Seniors. Then I learned to sit back and trust 'em.

Mar 28, 2019, 12:30 PM

This is spot on, winner winner!

Mar 28, 2019, 12:30 PM

After the last 4 years, when comes to football I’ve learned to shut my mouth and enjoy the ride. These guys know what they’re doing.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic