Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA selection committee will no longer use RPI
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,049

NCAA selection committee will no longer use RPI

Aug 22, 2018, 2:24 PM

The NCAA announced Wednesday it has developed the NCAA Evaluation Tool, known as NET, to replace the RPI as the primary sorting tool for teams under consideration for the NCAA tournament.

The change is effective immediately; NET will be used instead of RPI for the 2018-19 season.

NET will take into account game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, offensive and defensive efficiency and the quality of wins and losses.

The major changes are in bold. To my knowledge the NCAA has long avoided the inclusion of any form of MOV in their primary evaluation tools so this appears to mark a fairly notable change in philosophy though they will cap the MOV at 10, which is still too low in my opinion.

Also the inclusion of offensive and defensive efficiency is clearly one more move towards advanced metrics. This along with the recent inclusion of other well regarded metrics such as KenPom are encouraging moves to finally modernize a very antiquated system, in my opinion.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24445390/ncaa-announces-new-ranking-system-rpi

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With All that said..

Aug 22, 2018, 2:50 PM

I forget what RPI means (rather, meant).

Remember, i can’t remember much of which is useless since i have Dementia.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's rebounds per inning***

Aug 22, 2018, 2:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: With All that said..

Aug 22, 2018, 2:55 PM [ in reply to With All that said.. ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_percentage_index

RPI means "Random Prediction Indicator"

Aug 22, 2018, 4:31 PM [ in reply to With All that said.. ]

Its like ... Random. You beat like 10 top tens in a row say in January but the fact you lost to Podunk State in November nullifies the 10 Top 10 Wins because the fact you lost to a team because you were "just not into it and besides, it was a Tuesday and we're missing Taco Tuesday at El Jimador" says you are not worthy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA selection committee will no longer use RPI

Aug 22, 2018, 4:21 PM

I guess they took a look at Bama and UGA's lame schedule, and said "We'd better fix that so they can get in the playoffs again".

This is a basketball thread.

Aug 23, 2018, 9:51 PM

But interestingly, your point about Bama and UGA still applies. They play a mostly weak SEC schedule in basketball too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Permanent #1 Seeds given to Duke, UNC, Kentucky & Nova***

Aug 22, 2018, 4:38 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep Va blew there shot***

Aug 25, 2018, 10:23 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA selection committee will no longer use RPI

Aug 23, 2018, 11:01 PM

Didn’t they learn anything from Microsoft? These net things never work out!

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,049
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic