Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Giggity!!!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 605

Giggity!!!!!

Feb 3, 2019, 3:39 PM

I hope the celebs gets their ### sued off

https://www.theblaze.com/news/nick-sandmann-lawyers-lawsuits

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Giggity!!!!!

Feb 3, 2019, 9:23 PM

I’m going to enjoy watching this, especially 1/1024th Pocahontas.

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2019/02/03/lawyers-catholic-student-nick-sandmann-prepare-sue-media-celebrities-libel/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quite the list. I hope he’s able to successfully

Feb 3, 2019, 10:15 PM

follow through with some of them. I don’t know the nuances of libel but what I read was multiple attempts to villify these kids without any interest in discovering the truth.

null

Feb 4, 2019, 8:35 AM

when awarding damages, do you you think the judge will take into consideration that his name was not worth 2 cents before this media fiasco?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Serious question...is that how libel works?

Feb 4, 2019, 8:53 AM

If you’re an unknown teenager, they can drag your name through the mud and villify you to the point that you receive death threats?

null

Balm's "point" is actually the crux of his case.

Feb 4, 2019, 10:23 AM

The kid has his entire future ahead of him.....it WAS a blank sheet of paper until this incident, and that's what the lawyers will argue, and God help the defense if it goes to court in Kentucky. I'm willing to bet there will be a lot of out of court settlements.

I mentioned early on that there would be schools now that would throw his college application in the trash regardless of his high school transcript, and you can bet they'll be arguing that. You can also extrapolate that into future career opportunities, the fact that there will never be a point in his lifetime where this won't come up if you google his name, and there will be employers who won't consider him based on this. If you really want to get into personal damages, they can argue that it cuts down his dating pool as well, curtailing his future social activities.

Depending on the judge and jury, they could make some hay with this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those damages all sound rather speculative

Feb 4, 2019, 10:30 AM

I'd toss it out if I was a judge.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well yeah, we would be hoping to not get you as

Feb 4, 2019, 11:02 AM

our judge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Those damages all sound rather speculative

Feb 4, 2019, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Those damages all sound rather speculative ]

"absence of malice". It's how the National Inquirer has gotten away with publishing some of the vilest and absurd things about people for decades. The argue that they present the information that comes to them and there they show no actual personal malice to the person themselves.

They've been sued hundreds of times and lost only a few. 1st amendment protects idiots and charlatans as well as everyone else.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought their leg to stand on was that they were usually

Feb 4, 2019, 1:01 PM

going after public figures?

But, just as the internet made him an instant negative

Feb 4, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Balm's "point" is actually the crux of his case. ]

figure, didn't the internet also quickly turn that around, so that now he's viewed in a generally positive manner?

For fun, I googled the young man's name. The first result I found that had any hint of a negative toward him was on the 4th page.

that's an interesting point and i don't know how

Feb 4, 2019, 10:41 AM

it all works.

like all good things internet related, i guess it depends on how much research someone is willing to put into (fact checking memes, etc)

some may take this lawsuit stuff as furthering of his white privilege.

I don't really have an opinion on whether he should

Feb 4, 2019, 10:43 AM

sue, or how that should turn out, because I know nothing about libel precedents. I'll be curious to see how a judge sees it.

Maybe he was traumatized for a couple of days...

Feb 4, 2019, 10:46 AM [ in reply to that's an interesting point and i don't know how ]

(Don't know what kind of money that's worth) but I'm not sure he actually has any long-term damage done to him.

It will be interesting to see. I like that they specifically reference

Feb 4, 2019, 11:13 AM

drafts and notes about the story. Like the lawyer said,they want this sort of thing to be halted in the future. Any drafts or comments that allude to an effort to make that kid look like a villain because of the MAGA hat or his politics wont play well. They might settle to save face.

Anyway, the law aside,I feel confident in my interpretation of what transpired here. They were looking to make this kid the poster boy for Trump supporters, conservatives, white privileged,etc. I hope they get some pain (financial, reputational,etc) from it.

null

I do hope a lesson is learned by all...

Feb 4, 2019, 11:19 AM

color me pessimistic about it, though.

Feb 4, 2019, 12:28 PM

Donald Trump called for the death penalty of the Central Park 5, young african american boys accused of brutally beating and ###### a white female jogger. He ran a full page add in the New York Post.

DNA has since proven the boys did not nor could not have been involved with that crime.

In spite of repeated challenges to his views, Trump has continued to refuse to retreat from his view that they are guilty.

Maybe they should sue him???

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well...yeah. Maybe they should. Not sure if that’s

Feb 4, 2019, 12:39 PM

intended as a defense of the behavior of the “journalists”, celebrities and institutions cited in the article?

null

Those guys admitted to holding her down, but didn't

Feb 4, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Giggity!!!!! ]

actually rape her. Lots of legal wrangling went on - and none of those boys actually left any DNA in/on the victim - but they were hardly innocent.

It's no coincidence that this settlement was reached right after Ferguson in 2014 (IMHO).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 605
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic