Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Quick question about recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,498

Quick question about recruiting

Jun 16, 2015, 3:16 PM

I am a big fan of all things Clemson Football and I can't wait to see some of our recruiting classes pan out. I follow recruiting periodically but mainly just let the alerts come to my phone and see things on twitter here and there. However, I've never understood the obsession with stars.

So, here's my question: Why do people care so much about whether someone (in this case, Feaster, for example) has four or five stars? We all know his talent and we all know what we're getting. Does that fifth star really change who he is? I doubt the coaches care too much, or else they're probably evaluating for the wrong reasons.

It seems like it wouldn't be as big a deal if the season were going on right now, but the offseason tends to make us care about things that we couldn't care less about otherwise. Maybe I just answered my own question. Anyways, not to be critical, but just interested to hear what people have to say.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Quick question about recruiting

Jun 16, 2015, 3:20 PM

Recruiting is as much about perception as it is individual interest. Players want to play with other stars. If we didn't start pulling in 5* from Florida it would be much more difficult to pull them in now. Recruiting success opens new doors. If you want the future recruits to pay attention:

#1 be ranked in the top 10.

#2 be ranked in the recruiting top 10 in the off season.

null

Great point, and no, getting one more star doesn't

Jun 16, 2015, 3:28 PM

make a player one bit better, and no, coaches don't care one bit. It does help from a recognition/publicity standpoint, however, to have higher rated, higher profile recruits; future recruits read this stuff and it may pique their interest in Clemson, plus it creates/reinforces the image of Clemson as a football powerhouse, for whatever that's worth.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Because perception often turns into reality.

Jun 16, 2015, 4:09 PM

Winning begets winning, even in recruiting.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Other recruits notice where the STARS are going***

Jun 16, 2015, 4:48 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its all about perception

Jun 16, 2015, 5:02 PM

And perception is important

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,498
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic