Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for all Clemson fans about their encounters with...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Question for all Clemson fans about their encounters with...

May 12, 2013, 11:18 PM

coots over the past few years. How have most coot fans acted towards you either knowing you're a Clemson fan or see that you're wearing Clemson clothes? Please tell what part of SC you're from (ie midlands, upstate, pee dee region, low country) or what state you do live in, and how coot fans were before their recent 4 wins in a row against us in Football.

I live in the Columbia area (Irmo) as I have all my life, and through the past 4 years coot fans have talked the least amount of trash I have experienced in my life. I was talking to a fellow Clemson fan at the gym I work out and he pretty much said the same thing. I also, have to state that I rarely actually go into Columbia, since I don't work directly in Columbia and after living for a little over 30 years in the Columbia area there really isn't much of reason for me to venture into a city that is so incredibly boring and stale.

So how about you Tiger fans in other parts of the state? Are coot fans more aggressive in their trash talking? Have any Columbia area Clemson fans experienced what I have or something different if they actually spend more time within the city of Columbia?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for all Clemson fans about their encounters with...

May 12, 2013, 11:24 PM

they have always been reasonably nice to me when I visit back east, but the conversation usually gets cut short when I drive off with my food.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Columbia, it's a Bojangles town***

May 12, 2013, 11:26 PM

I always see them flying the RC helicopters at the Columbia mall***

May 12, 2013, 11:30 PM

I live in Lexington.

May 12, 2013, 11:30 PM

It's pretty bad around here.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would expect that, some of the most arrogant coot fans...

May 12, 2013, 11:38 PM

either live in Lexington, West Columbia, Cayce, and some other parts of Lexington county.

May 12, 2013, 11:41 PM

I live in the Midlands.

I personally find them just as bad as ever if not worse. I had a recent encounter at the Masters. As I walked to the register with my egg salad sandwich and diet coke the young man behind the register, noticing my Clemson shirt, looked at me and said "I don't know if I can SERVE a Clemson fan". Being that I was in Georgia I said "you must be a Georgia fan" and he replied "nope, I hate them just as much as I hate Clemson". To that I replied "you must be a Gamecock fan" and he proudly said " yep, I'm a ####" and I looked at him and replied "you said it not me" and took my change and enjoyed my sandwich and the rest of the day at the Masters.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing about the Midlands is about 85% of the people...

May 12, 2013, 11:52 PM

wearing coot clothes or have a coot sticker on their car, weren't doing that 4 years ago. I've lived in the Columbia area my whole life and have not seen this many coot fans as I have over the past 2-3 years. In time, this 4 win streak will end up crushing all hope for coots and their Johnny come lately fans. When we beat them in November, they will all scurry away just like cockroaches.

They have gone from whiny and resentful to condescending

May 12, 2013, 11:43 PM

its really pathetic how they act like its always been this way. This is upper Spartanburg Co. and Polk Co. NC

I was thinking that coot fans in the upstate would act that

May 12, 2013, 11:48 PM

way, considering that they have been the ugly orphan in the Upstate for 100+ years.

It's pretty bad here

May 12, 2013, 11:59 PM

in the Upstate. Lucky for me I've been living in Clemson since I'm a student so I haven't really had to deal with the coots back home that much. I still have to see it on Facebook though.

May 13, 2013, 12:12 AM

The only people I catch flack from regarding the rivalry are my friends and family. I'm from a small town south of Charlotte, NC and the majority of the town consists of Gamecock fans/alums/parents, etc. I'd say that for every 1 student who goes to Clemson, 5 go to Columbia. Most of my close relatives attended USuCk as well.

Anyway, I don't have much of a problem from strangers aside from the occasional "har har har, YOU NEED TO GET YOU A NEW HAT!"

I want to beat them to make watching football with my friends and family bearable again.

Re: Charleston...the fan bases are so diluted here by the out-of-state transplants and artsy people who don't give a crap about sports that it's rare that I come across a hostile Carolina fan.

I've lived in the Columbia area for over 40 years, albeit

May 13, 2013, 5:42 AM

mostly on Lake Murray in the Irmo-Chapin area, and have neighbors, business associates, even close friends who are Gamecocks. Although we engage in light-hearted banter from time-to-time, I've just never encountered trash talk other than on rare occasion from some kid, which I find funny. (Their parents usually tell them to shut up.)

Thinking back 40 years ago, I don't recall the trash talk, which I now attribute moreso to the younger crowd, which, of course, is full of p!ss and vinegar. The fact is the size of our state normally will mandate that most of us WILL coexist with fans of other schools...and that requires keeping things in perspective. As you know, thousands of Clemson folks live here in the Midlands, and I see our Tiger Orange proudly worn and flown every day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in the mountains of N.C.

May 13, 2013, 6:49 AM

and there are a few gamecocks around, but not that many. Rarely do I have any kind of an encounter with any of them. I just recently, for the first time, met an engineer here in the village where I live. He and I share an interest in sports cars and I have found him to be a first class guy. I couldn't talk him into joining IPTAY however! I know a guy in Boone who runs a "beverage store" and he can be an a$$ at times but I rarely venture into his place anyway.
Unfortunately there are enough tarhole fans around to ruin anyones life! GO TIGERS. I support you and gamecocks don't exist in my world.

A neighbor in Little Switzerland was a long time referee

May 13, 2013, 7:38 AM

with the ACC, and he and I engaged in light-hearted banter, mostly about attitudes about officiating. He once laughed and said, "I know you probably did your share of swearing toward us." I replied, "No, but I probably did toward your Momma." That brought on the guffaws. He had a healthy respect for Clemson and said that Death Valley was the toughest venue for officiating. Mostly, our families enjoyed meals along with the usual evening swigs, and we shared a common interest in gemstones, railroading and trout fishing...he did the fishing, I did the cooking. lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've lived in the Columbia area for over 40 years, albeit

May 13, 2013, 12:32 PM [ in reply to I've lived in the Columbia area for over 40 years, albeit ]

I lived in Irmo (Friarsgate) for several years. It always seemed to be an equal mix of So.Car. to Clemson fans no matter where I went.

All my Clemson friends can name all 5 starters on the O-Line

May 13, 2013, 6:49 AM

ONLY 1 of my gamecock brethren can do the same.

That's easily the most annoying thing to me about chicken fans. I asked one guy who they opened up with in the SEC tourney in baseball the day before the game and he didn't even know who they were playing, yet they still proceed to brag.

May 13, 2013, 7:19 AM

I moved into my house in the summer of 2008. My next door neighbor was a big Clemson fan. He knew I was a Gamecoc k and he kidded me about and called me loser. He was a great guy except when talking football. C lemson won the game that year and he painted tiger paws on the grass in my front yard. I thought it was strange but I just let it go. This neighbor the reminded me for 365 days about that win. Well we won the 2009 game and I put a Gamecock flag in his yard. He called the police and had me remove it. He didn't speak to me again after that. Last year he burned a Carolina flag in front of me and when Clemson lost their game at home my car was egged. If you think Gamecock fans are bad....look around...Clemson fans are just as bad. It is a shame that this guy could not separate being a fan from being a friend.

May 13, 2013, 7:22 AM

I live in the Charleston/Summerville area. These days I get more strangers making comments to me when I wear Clemson stuff. You can tell they're not used to being this successful. I see and hear more "4 in a row" content than I ever did during any of Clemson's many 4-in-a-rows...I see the "4 in a row" t-shirts all the time.

As another example, a friend of mine is dating a die-hard SCar fan and he -constantly- trash talks. He takes full advantage of the fact that we haven't had a lot of success against them recently. It's very good-natured so there's no real hostility, but it's difficult to be around him for very long because there's nothing I can say that will shut him up.

May 13, 2013, 9:42 AM

Kick him in the balls. He'll get quiet then.

May 13, 2013, 11:21 AM

Tempting, but then I'd lose a friend. And her boyfriend would be pretty hostile towards me too. ;)

Why do coots always have to comment if your wearing Clemson

May 13, 2013, 8:14 AM

attire? I have never really understood it. Anytime you wear an Orange shirt, some coot is going to make a comment on it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They can't help themselves....it's in their jeans...although

May 13, 2013, 8:30 AM

there just isn't much there. lol

Re: Why do coots always have to comment if your wearing Clemson

May 13, 2013, 8:31 AM

I got a "go gamecocks" from a toddler in my neighborhood this weekend. His dad is a big gamecock fan, no doubt that the kid was prompted by his dad when I raised my garage door as they were walking down the street.

I don't own a vehicle without a paw on it and our two main forms of transportation wear IPTAY stickers. Our Clemson themed golf cart that my daughters cruise around on gets a good bit of attention too.

I'm easily the biggest Tiger fan in my neighbor hood near Lake Wylie and I find that most gamecocks are as civilized and respectful. In my opinion, I feel that they sense the end of their streak is near.

Go Tigers!!

May 13, 2013, 8:33 AM

grow thicker skin

spurrier found joe morrison's black box of steroids and cash, NCAA is giving them the SEC/ESPN Cahoots Club pass

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still can't believe they wear a shirt with ##### in big

May 13, 2013, 8:41 AM

letters across it. Saw a dude at the grocery store yesterday with a sleeveless tshirt like that yesterday. Just have to laugh and be thankful!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rock Hill. The worst possible place.

May 13, 2013, 8:48 AM

They don't give me logical insults about the things the can insult clemson about, but instead they give me this:
"Clemson's gay."
"Dabo's gay."
"Sammy Watkins is gay."
"Tajh Boyd is gay."
"Who is Danny Ford?"
"Us gamecocks have more national championships than you."

You think I'm joking.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that before or after they are returned to the local

May 13, 2013, 8:54 AM

day care centers? lol

Re: Rock Hill. The worst possible place.

May 13, 2013, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Rock Hill. The worst possible place. ]

They say Clemson's gay? My reply would be something like "well then why is it that you all are the ones wearing t-shirts declaring how much you love c#cks?"

Re: Rock Hill. The worst possible place.

May 13, 2013, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Rock Hill. The worst possible place. ]

I lived in Rock Hill for a couple of years. Too many dayum chickens for me. That place is infested. It was bad then - and we were always winning. I'd hate to endure that place now.

May 13, 2013, 11:23 AM

They usually are more friendly when you give them a larger tip for the pizza.

Re: Re: Why do coots always have to comment if your wearing Clemson

May 13, 2013, 11:44 AM

Florence is a coot Town and yes it has gotten really bad the last 4 yrs. I just pray it will all get back to normal this Nov.

I live in Pendleton, and the USC fans around here...

May 13, 2013, 12:08 PM

... still tend to maintain a low profile. But I have several relatives in various parts who are even worse, USC alumnae. Nowadays, the ones that used to have a reasonable attitude are cocky, and the ones that have always been cocky (bless their hearts) are downright insufferable. We need a win bad.

There is no old SCar swag here in Atlanta

May 13, 2013, 12:09 PM

If you see a car flag, house flag or person wearing a SCar T-shirt or hat is pretty new. Easily less than 3 years old.

Any older and it would be covered in grease and mustard stains.

Re: There is no old SCar swag here in Atlanta

May 13, 2013, 12:26 PM

I've noticed a huge clemson fan base here too since I've been at tech. I feel like we have the #2 spot behind the pups by a landslide, only other school giving us a run would be allbarn, but they've kinda hushed the past couple years.

One of the few good things about ATL...not very many coots at all. But we do have to deal with pups and yellow ###### asians all the time, so i guess its give and take everywhere you go...

Go Tigers

Auburn is much bigger than Clemson in Atl

May 13, 2013, 12:33 PM

at least in the Northern suburbs. Auburn is huge in Cobb County.

Agreed. I see more Wake Forest fans than SCAR here.

May 13, 2013, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: There is no old SCar swag here in Atlanta ]

I guess a degree from South Carolina doesn't get you very far... quite literally.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic