Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for Christians:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 751

Question for Christians:

Feb 12, 2020, 9:28 AM

Should we pattern our behavior exactly as Jesus Christ? In other words, should we try to do everything He did?

Is "What Would Jesus Do?" the right question to direct us?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously, it is impossible to do exactly as he did...

Feb 12, 2020, 9:34 AM

However, the WWJD question is the proper question if we understand that His pattern was to display God's love in every situation God placed Him.

In that light, WWJD is contextualized. Each of us have unique strengths and weaknesses as well as circumstances that are related to our culture and unique time in history. Those are different than Jesus'. Jesus would use each of those as opportunities for God's glory.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Way I see it

Feb 12, 2020, 9:38 AM

absolutely not. No one can live their life as Jesus lived his. If that was possible there would be no Jesus. Way I see it you should learn how YOU should live YOUR life from seeing how Jesus lived his. His life is not an example we should follow or a mandate, it's perfection we can only strive for. We all will end up where we end up. Some people will come very close. Others will not believe at all. But when everyone tries to the best of their ability to live to His example, the whole of humanity prospers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for Christians:

Feb 12, 2020, 9:45 AM

I don't think of it as trying to do everything Jesus did. I have no expectations either I or any other believer will perform miracles. When I hear "WWJD?" I think of it in terms as something you ask yourself in a specific situation. It's a question of, how do I think Jesus would respond to this person or this particular circumstance?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going to leave this as food for thought...

Feb 12, 2020, 9:51 AM

Obviously not as some edict of truth. Just musings from me.

Jesus only said to "do what He did" once, in a specific case, when He washed his disciples' feet. "For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." (John 13:15) I think most of us would agree he's not talking about foot-washing specifically there, but being willing to serve others.

Maybe you can find it, but I don't think Jesus ever said, in a general sense, "do what I do". What He did say was "If you love me, keep my commandments". (John 14:15)

You know who did say "do what I do"? Paul, through inspiration of the Holy Spirit, did. "Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample." (Philippians 3:17).

I think a better question than "What would Jesus do?" is "What did Jesus tell me to do?"

I'm gonna start selling WWPD bumper stickers.***

Feb 12, 2020, 10:15 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who Wuves Polese Depatment?***

Feb 12, 2020, 10:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wave Watthews PanD.***

Feb 12, 2020, 10:27 AM

Re: I'm going to leave this as food for thought...

Feb 12, 2020, 3:39 PM [ in reply to I'm going to leave this as food for thought... ]

It isn't Jesus speaking, but in 1 Corinthians 11 Paul says to "be imitators of me as I am of Christ."

Ephesians 5 also calls Christians to "be imitators of God" while Peter writes that Christ suffered and left Christians an example to follow.

There are several places in the Bible where God calls His people to "be holy as I am holy." There are other verses which indicate that we can forgive, suffer, show mercy, etc. because Christ has done the same for us. You can also infer from the name "Christian" that the early believers were doing what Jesus did.

I do not mean to offend by saying this, but I think your position misses the forest for the trees. I am not sure I can think of a situation we could face where there would be different answers to "what would Jesus do" and "what did Jesus tell me to do?"

That's a good question...is there anything Jesus

Feb 13, 2020, 7:02 AM

did that He wouldn't tell us to do, or wouldn't want us to do?

I think he would be ok with us staying in

Feb 13, 2020, 7:05 AM

The boat and rowing back to shore instead of walking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure if you answer was intended as

Feb 13, 2020, 7:42 AM

humorous, or serious, or a combination of both, but IMO, it works as both.

yes***

Feb 13, 2020, 7:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That seems kinda trivial considering raising the dead...

Feb 13, 2020, 8:46 AM [ in reply to I think he would be ok with us staying in ]

restoring sight to the blind or healing the sick. It makes me wonder how many Christians ignore Christ's statement in John 14.

John 14:12
'12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a good question...is there anything Jesus

Feb 13, 2020, 9:20 AM [ in reply to That's a good question...is there anything Jesus ]

There are certainly things he did that we can't do, since we are neither God nor the Savior of the world (The transfiguration comes to mind, as does the cruxifiction). And there are other things, like walking on water, that he doesn't explicitly tell us to do.

But if you believe that Christ was sinless (I.e. never "did sinful things") then I don't think there is anything he did that he wouldn't want us to do, or tell us not to do.

Our authority is limited.***

Feb 13, 2020, 9:32 AM

Let's use a metaphor and see if it applies.

Feb 13, 2020, 9:43 AM [ in reply to That's a good question...is there anything Jesus ]

As a parent, if you are one, are there things you do, that you don't believe are wrong, but that you don't want your children to do?

Yes.

Feb 13, 2020, 9:48 AM

However, I was wrong to be that way.

How about, staying up past 9 PM?

Feb 13, 2020, 9:50 AM

Is it wrong to stay up past 9 PM if you children's bedtime is 9 PM?

Re: How about, staying up past 9 PM?

Feb 13, 2020, 9:58 AM

A baby is born totally dependent upon parents. Parents have total responsibility, authority and accountability. The baby has none. Growing up is a matter of the transfer of each of those factors to the child. Slowly a good parent transfers responsibility, authority and accountability to the child which eventually give that child complet authority, responsibility and accountability.

Children require different nutrition and rest than adult. 'I fed you with milk rather...' If that's what you're getting at then you have my attention. To quote Aretha, 'Sock it to me, baby!'

The child doesn't yet have the physical or mental maturity

Feb 13, 2020, 10:26 AM

to do many of the things that parents do. In those cases, the child doesn't do what the parent does...he does what the parent tells him to do.

I think that there are things Jesus did that we don't have the spiritual authority to do. I think about going into the temple with a whip and driving out the money changers. He did it, but He never told us to do that. It was His house, He had that authority.

He called the Pharisees vipers, but he never told us to go around calling people vipers. He had the authority to do it.

Re: The child doesn't yet have the physical or mental maturity

Feb 13, 2020, 12:34 PM

I need to focus on the money changer and viper in the mirror before I consider anyone else. I gave up on straightening out others a while back.

Ever heard the thing about how we should be able

Feb 12, 2020, 10:57 AM

to go into bars, spend a lot of time around nasty folks because Jesus did?

I like what I read from someone on that: In the story of Jesus hanging with sinners, I think we are confused about which one (Jesus or the sinners) represents us.

Good point...

Feb 12, 2020, 11:11 AM

I think that is true. To that point, I don't believe we are supposed to put ourselves in compromising situations. We should be willing to help anybody at their point of need.

The only people who Jesus railed were the religious people, because their god was their rituals. They were graceless, pious, self-righteous.

One more thing on the WWJD - after reading the responses, I think (like I think some have said) that the question is not "what action would Jesus take?" but rather "how would Jesus evaluate this situation and respond to it?" Because the appropriate response is highly contextual.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ever heard the thing about how we should be able

Feb 12, 2020, 5:45 PM [ in reply to Ever heard the thing about how we should be able ]

I don't think a Christian should have the attitude that we are too good to go into a bar and be seen with an alcoholic beverage in our hand. That was certainly not Jesus. Jews drank wine. History tells us it was customary at weddings for the host to bring out the weak stuff after the better wine had gotten the guests a little tipsy. Not only did Jesus provide more wine at a wedding, the host said it was the best he'd ever had.

He also reprimanded the pharisees in Luke 7 for judging him for the company he kept and the for things he did:

"For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ 34 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’"

I think I'm guilty of this.

Feb 13, 2020, 9:43 AM

While we are at liberty to do much more than most Christians are comfortable doing but we are not at liberty to offend.

'If eating meat offend my brother I will eat no meat.' I do not believe going into a bar or drinking a beer will send a man to hell. However, not everyone believes as I do.

As far as self-righteousness, not many of us escape that. When I say I don't live that way I set myself apart and thereby present myself as more righteous than another. That is the sin which makes me a pharisee.

Re: I think I'm guilty of this.

Feb 13, 2020, 12:20 PM

The problem with the position that alcohol use in moderation is a sin directly contradicts scripture. The Old Testament speaks of wine in a positive light and even calls it a gift from God. Jesus most certainly drank wine, as did his followers. The early church drank wine during communion. In Corinthians Paul rebukes the Christians there for using it to getting drunk.

Gluttony is a sin yet we still eat. Baptists love em some fried chicken that's absolutely terrible for you but will judge someone for having a cold beer with their meal. And the kicker is obesity is a much bigger problem than alcoholism. I don't know about you but I know way more fat people than drunks.

Just seems very hypocritical to me and you have to ignore a lot of scripture to hold that view.

So who is criticizing you for drinking?

Feb 13, 2020, 12:43 PM

Their self-righteousness might be excused as spiritual adolescence if they are intent on having you adhere to their standard of what a real Christian believes and how one acts.

That does not excuse your broken fellowship with God. I recommend you deal with God directly and focus on Him rather than spending so much focus on others. You are not excused for breaking fellowship with Him and no amount of finger pointing will change that.

No, God doesn't care about drinking unless and until it dampens your spirit so that you can't fellowship with Him. '18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;..' You can drink a beer or even visit a bar if that's what you want but I suggest you seek to be filled with The Holy Spirit before you do for drinking wine is not a sin but neglecting your relationship with God is another matter.

Now walk in what you are.

Re: So who is criticizing you for drinking?

Feb 13, 2020, 12:50 PM

The original poster made a somewhat condescending statement towards those who hang out in bars. That’s the only reason this is being discussed. He said we were confused. I don’t go around picking fights with tee totalers but when I hear one I will respond with what the Bible actually says on the subject.

So did I.

Feb 13, 2020, 1:07 PM

Don't get drunk but be filled with the Spirit.

I haven't said anything negative about alcohol

Feb 13, 2020, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: So who is criticizing you for drinking? ]

in this thread. This thread is about whether or "Jesus did it" is reason enough for us to do something.

Thank you for your contribution to the discussion.

'Nasty people,' might have been what he was talking about.***

Feb 13, 2020, 1:44 PM

It does appear that I could have been using "nasty"

Feb 13, 2020, 1:53 PM

to describe people in bars, and I apologize for that. I meant them to be two different and separate examples.

Thank you for pointing out my poor choice of words.

Re: It does appear that I could have been using "nasty"

Feb 13, 2020, 2:45 PM

You could have left the word nasty out and my response would have been the same. It's not your choice of words, it's the position you have chosen to take, that those who "hang out in bars", like Jesus did, are confused. We are not confused, you are confused, and like most people who take your position, it's because of tradition, most likely baptist, not based on scripture.

For what it's worth, I'm a deacon and sunday school teacher in a baptist church who rarely drinks alcohol. I didn't mean to derail the thread or bring negativity to it, but I couldn't help but be a little bothered by your statement. Personally I think the attitude that we are above certain places and certain "nasty" people, whatever you meant by that, hurts the spread of the gospel more than anything now days.

Nowhere did I say anybody is above anybody.

Feb 13, 2020, 2:51 PM

I apologize for giving off that impression. I ask your forgiveness.

The reason I can't hang out in bars or hang around nasty people is precisely because I'm not above people who do that. I am nasty. Jesus is above them, and me. Way above.

Re: Nowhere did I say anybody is above anybody.

Feb 13, 2020, 3:04 PM

Don’t sweat it. I’ll only be mad at you for pulling for the gamecocks. ??

Re: It does appear that I could have been using "nasty"

Feb 13, 2020, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Re: It does appear that I could have been using "nasty" ]

Walk in what you are.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:16 AM

No, because we have no idea what Jesus thought or who he was. The rest is fiction made up by men that probably never met him. So no, just wing it.

OK, you've done it now.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:18 AM

You have displace Felix at the top of my prayer list. Don't tell Felix, ok?

Re: OK, you've done it now.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:23 AM

Okay...That should make a huge difference

Re: OK, you've done it now.

Feb 12, 2020, 7:03 PM [ in reply to OK, you've done it now. ]

OK, you've done it now. [1]
Posted: Feb 12, 2020 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for Christians: ]

You have displace Felix at the top of my prayer list. Don't tell Felix, ok?

What? You're already prayer cheating on me??

You put me right back at the top of your prayer list right this minute young man!!!

I need all the help I can get... :)

May have missed the subject line of the OP.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for Christians: ]

:)

Re: May have missed the subject line of the OP.

Feb 13, 2020, 7:08 AM

Yes. I am not a Christian. Shouldn't have answered. The answer still works, but you are correct.

Feb 12, 2020, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for Christians: ]

If you go by the opinion of a minority of critical scholars yes.....

You can try, but will be ridiculed and shunned for it.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:58 AM

Jesus a divine being in mortal form and a humanist; he knew our flaws yet still served to elevate the least of us. On the whole, we don't do that very well today.

Yes.***

Feb 12, 2020, 1:06 PM

Yes, but there’s an issue with your question

Feb 13, 2020, 10:40 AM

It’s not “we” it’s “you”.

Focus on bettering yourself and show (not force) others the joy of Christ.

This “we” stuff is a downhill slope and typically doesn’t end well IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 751
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic