Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about the SEC/BIG12 New Years Day Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 900

Question about the SEC/BIG12 New Years Day Bowl

May 21, 2012, 1:29 PM

Beginning in 2014, the champions of the SEC and Big12 will have their own bowl game similar to what the Pac10 and Big10 did for decades with the Rose Bowl.

But one must assume that the champions of at least one of those conferences (and frequently both) will be involved in the "play-off" for the national championship. So if one or both champions are in the playoff, who's gonna play in their bowl game?? And won't that lessen the significance (and money) of the game if the two champs AREN'T involved???

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree...and if they are hoping it would format into

May 21, 2012, 1:30 PM

the playoff...what if both teams are ranked #1 and #2 in the polls that would be dumb.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think I read somewhere

May 21, 2012, 1:32 PM

that it would be the runner-ups that would play in the bowl.

I have no sources though, so it's probably just a lie I told myself to sound cool.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson

another team in the conference will take their place...

May 21, 2012, 1:33 PM

presumably runner up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

So, as I said, there's the likelihood

May 21, 2012, 1:48 PM

that the champions of the SEC and Big12 WOULD NOT be playing each other as billed......its just interesting that this announcement has thrown the college football world into a tizzy when its done little more than add yet another bowl game to the extremely overcrowded bowl schedule that exists now.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about the SEC/BIG12 New Years Day Bowl

May 21, 2012, 1:39 PM

I think it is also about about cutting out the middle man of equation. Remove the bowl committees and let the conferences decide who plays where. This means millions more for conferences and schools for bowl games.

Excellent points and question

May 21, 2012, 1:58 PM

Perhaps what they are really going for is to set up this match up as the other half of the Top 4 Playoff teams. So instead of a 1-4 and 2-3 playoff, it's a SEC/Big12 and PAC10/Big10 each year. While it might seem unfair some years that a 1-2, 3-4 might occur it would provide much easier travel for the fans of the teams involved.

Imagine your team going to their Conference Championship game, then the playoff semi-final and then the final championship game. How many people could afford those three games' tickets, travel and time away from work?

Well...."perhaps" is wonderful word.......

May 21, 2012, 1:59 PM

but thats not what the announcement of the bowl game was.

Your missing the point it is about control

May 21, 2012, 2:03 PM

whatever city wins the right to host the bowl the B12/SEC will control tickets and hotels and everything verse the way it is now with the bowls in control of tickets. Look for the game to end up New Orleans or at the new Dallas Cowboy stadium.

May 21, 2012, 2:12 PM

Yes since the beginning of the BCS the champions of the Big 12 and SEC would both have been included in the 4 team play-off every year. That means that under the 4 team system we will likely never see the two champions play in this game and it will trickle down to the #2 or #3 teams in each conference. By promoting it as the champions of each conference they can ask for more money from the bowl sponsoring it.

Sure the bowl will never get the champion vs champion game they are paying for but the conferences will still get the likely 8 or 9 million dollar check at the end of the season.

null

Should the other 10 or so conferences insist on a conference

May 21, 2012, 2:22 PM

champion only approach to the 4-team playoff, the SEC and Big XII both can now tell the committee "no thanks" and withdraw. Not much of a "championship" series left after those two take their ball and head home. This new game ensures that it will not be a champions only format - and it's extra money for each league outside of the current BCS system.

The description reads like each league is expecting a 4-team playoff to come to pass, with each league's top participants going to it. However, if the money split isn't like they want it or the format isn't like they want it, they now have the opportunity to bypass it altogether.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2012, 2:27 PM

I think its sending the message that if the BCS goes with conference champs only they SEC/Big 12 will upstage the seminfinals with a game involving higher ranked teams.

it's basically a glorified cotton bowl***

May 21, 2012, 2:37 PM

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Replies: 12
| visibility 900
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic