Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bama's new "coach in waiting"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 4,013

Bama's new "coach in waiting"

Jan 7, 2016, 9:16 PM

per media is Dabo. Just saw the third story this week that hints at that being the case. I guess Dabo did not favors a couple of months ago when asked about it and he said, "you never say never".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not what he told Finebaum.***

Jan 7, 2016, 9:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What did he say to Finebaum?***

Jan 7, 2016, 9:17 PM

Re: What did he say to Finebaum?***

Jan 7, 2016, 9:20 PM

He covertly leaned across the table and bent Finebaum's ear on the subject .

I lied . He didn't have to lean in to reach the ear .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: That's not what he told Finebaum.***

Jan 7, 2016, 9:18 PM [ in reply to That's not what he told Finebaum.*** ]

This is what I was referring to. http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/11/19/9760590/dabo-swinney-clemson-alabama-quote

I agree you never say never, so I do not blame him for saying that, but at the same time you know the media will run with that.

lol----good'un!***

Jan 7, 2016, 9:18 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lol----good'un!***

Jan 7, 2016, 9:57 PM

I realize others find charm in a number of glimmering things which hold little for me, BUT it makes no sense why Dabo would leave unless there is some significant degradation of the circumstances in which he currently finds himself. Bama is home for him, and this can be a strong pull, but outside of this single element; clearly he can win championships at Clemson, clearly he can establish the program as he likes at Clemson, surely he can make still more money at Clemson and while Bama might always be able to offer just a bit more it is absolutely the case that once one reaches a certain level of compensation, any more becomes a bit of a bother and he is already there. Not only, but given his age and his achievement already at Clemson, he has the chance to become a legend along the lines of Howard and, dare I say, greater than Ford.

Long term relationships between coaches and colleges are ever more rare, but the potential exists for Dabo to stay at Clemson and become every bit as successful and wealthy, if not more, than he would at Alabama. What great incentive does he have to leave?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lol----good'un!***

Jan 7, 2016, 10:10 PM

Right now I don't think the threat is there and the next 4/5 years looks solid. There are two scenarios that could affect the outcome, one would be that Dabo wins 2/3 Nattys and extends the contract using the if it ain't broke don't fix it. The other is we lose monday and he never can quite recover. The latter scenario would almost guarantee a Dabo departure. I believe we win on Monday and a scenario right in the middle with a possible follow up and then a slight regression. If that's the case then it's a toss up. Dabo isn't an idiot and as fond as his memories are of his Alma Mater home is never the wonderland of our youth and he has to know that. Some things are best left as fond memories.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo would absolutely have to drive

Jan 7, 2016, 11:39 PM

This program into the ground ala Slurrier before I would encourage a new direction. He's earned a long stay and plenty of chances for what he's done with this program. What he's accomplished isnt easy.

Re: Dabo would absolutely have to drive

Jan 7, 2016, 11:41 PM

Oh I wasn't suggesting the fans would want him gone, I think that is what would make him leave. I don't think that is going to happen because he is coaching up talent to NFL levels

Re: Dabo would absolutely have to drive

Jan 7, 2016, 11:46 PM

I'd be one of the first to openly beg him to stay lol.

Re Those Coots know that Bama does not want

Jan 8, 2016, 9:21 AM [ in reply to lol----good'un!*** ]

a cheerleader. They will wait and hire a fired ex Florida coach.

"Grow where you're planted" - Dabo

Jan 7, 2016, 10:11 PM

He was planted at Clemson. Clemson gave him the chance. I'm not concerned...Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo probably doesn't know that answer***

Jan 7, 2016, 10:30 PM

Dabo has planted too many seeds in Clemson to leave

Jan 8, 2016, 7:49 AM [ in reply to "Grow where you're planted" - Dabo ]

Why start over with a crop like this? Going back to Alabama would not present challenges like he overcame here.

Dabo doesn't coach for free.

Jan 7, 2016, 10:16 PM

Like anything, if you're good at what you do, people will pay you well for it. Dabo has an agent as well and I am sure he has been encouraged to never say never.
But it will be hard for any team to take Dabo from Clemson. Clemson will pay to keep what Dabo has built here. And I'm certain Dabo has a sense of pride about building Clemson up to where we are.

Dabo has a love for Alabama but his kids are Clemsonized.

Jan 7, 2016, 10:22 PM

It would be tough to take his family out of Clemson as long as CU can remain financially competitive. His kids have grown up here not Bama.

^^^This!!!^^^

Jan 8, 2016, 12:46 AM

NM

Re: Bama's new "coach in waiting"

Jan 7, 2016, 10:34 PM

I think it will be an assistant to Saban, even like Kiffin. The FSU model is the way to go - the whole staff stays essentially the same after the legend retires, so recruiting never dips. Saban talks Kiffin up every chance he gets.

People forget the muddle Alabama was in from about the middle of Stallings' the there till Saban got. And the similar period they had from Bryant's retirement until Stallings' second year. This last 8 or so years is all Nick Saban. If Rodriguez had taken the Alabama job and Saban ended up elsewhere, they'd still be trying to recapture the success.

There's only one requirement for a Bama coach, be the second

Jan 7, 2016, 10:47 PM

coming of the Bear and Saban. Bama coaches start on the hot seat. If he doesn't win the SEC and NC by his 3rd season, then he's gone.

What he said!***

Jan 7, 2016, 11:45 PM

Jan 7, 2016, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama's new "coach in waiting" ]

Alabama won't take a chance a coordinator, especially one that has already failed a traditional powerhouse.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jan 7, 2016, 11:31 PM

Dabo said the same thing this morning on the Dan Patrick show. I can't blame him. I don't see him leaving CU any time soon but I'd never blame him for returning to his alma mater. He is building his staff here using people's pull to their alma mater + talent in coaching and I couldn't blame him for doing the same thing he is using as a hiring tactic. He has been a great hire and I hope for many more successful years for Dabo at CU!

Simple answer: Have you ever been to U. Alabama and around?

Jan 8, 2016, 7:45 AM

Clemson is so much nicer!

Proud to have him,,

Jan 8, 2016, 8:44 AM

But Saban isn't going anywhere for a few years.

If Saban does leave, I really hope you guys have a Plan B.***

Jan 8, 2016, 9:36 AM

null

Replies: 25
| visibility 4,013
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic