Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kitt, Scott, or Priester
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Kitt, Scott, or Priester

Dec 22, 2013, 10:12 AM

Which of our first year WRs has the best chance of exploding like Freshman Sammy Watkins?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kitt, Scott, or Priester

Dec 22, 2013, 10:15 AM

Artavis Scott, no question. he reminds me a bit of Bellamy, but a bit bigger and hopefully more mature. The kid plays with a chip on his shoulder and has really sudden moves running through traffic.. At very least he will be returning kicks for us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2013, 10:16 AM

None. Sammy was a First team All-American WR as a Freshman, the only WR to ever do so.

With Peake, Humphries, Williams, Hopper, and possibly Bryant returning none of the freshman will be depended on like Watkins was and probably not event to the extent Hopkins was as a Freshman.

They are all talented guys, but 1 or 2 of them probably redshirt and whoever plays will probably have a role similar to Williams this year. If they earn more playing time than that, then we'll be in great shape but I'm not expecting it.

Scott has the best chance...

Dec 22, 2013, 10:53 AM

I think he could compete for the starting job at Z. Humphries just doesn't have anywhere near the explosive playmaking ability and Hopper is looking like he's gonna be a miss entirely. So there is no reason Scott couldn't win the job.

Re: Scott has the best chance...

Dec 22, 2013, 1:21 PM

Humphries knows the offense and has years of experience and trust with the coaching staff.

I agree, to an extent, but you can't coach athleticism

Dec 22, 2013, 1:59 PM

Let's not kid ourselves, many on here are debating whether D Watson will be our starting QB next year if he comes in and competes. If there truly is a chance for D Watson to take the reigns from someone who's actually played in a game and knows the offense, then I see no reason why Scott wouldn't have the opportunity as well.

Humphries will get a lot of play time but hard to imagine

Dec 22, 2013, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Scott has the best chance... ]

starting him over Peake or Williams or maybe even Hopper if he steps it up. I think Humphries will see a number of snaps in most every game, but not be a starter like this year. They may leave him on ST a good bit, too.

Re: Humphries will get a lot of play time but hard to imagine

Dec 22, 2013, 11:35 PM

I think Humphries will start as an inside possession WR.

You can't coach game experience, you have to earn it...

Scott has the best chance...

Dec 22, 2013, 10:53 AM

I think he could compete for the starting job at Z. Humphries just doesn't have anywhere near the explosive playmaking ability and Hopper is looking like he's gonna be a miss entirely. So there is no reason Scott couldn't win the job.

WHOA!! Hopper is a miss after ONE year. Might turn in your

Dec 22, 2013, 2:21 PM

scouting credentials.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WHOA!! Hopper is a miss after ONE year. Might turn in your

Dec 22, 2013, 2:44 PM

Like I said, usually guys that are gonna be more than role players will show flashes of that. Case in point, Mike Williams. Both kids had about the same amount of playing time this season but Williams has shined pretty much every chance he got, while Hopper has been largely invisible. You'd expect that if Hopper was as advertised that he'd have shown more in his redshirt freshman season than a guy who was actually rated below him in his true freshman season. Again, I hope I'm wrong about Hopper but at this point to me he's looking like another Marquan Jones.

I just have one question

Dec 22, 2013, 3:12 PM

If you are able to determine that Hopper is going to be a bust after less than 300 snaps into his career why are you on here posting on a Sunday instead of earning a paycheck in the NFL?

Didn't Hopper show flashes vs SC State

Dec 22, 2013, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: WHOA!! Hopper is a miss after ONE year. Might turn in your ]

I know that wasn't vs the best competition, but he did get Freshman of the week in the conference that week. Clearly he has some maturity issues, but I definitely wouldn't call him a miss at this point.

Re: WHOA!! Hopper is a miss after ONE year. Might turn in your

Dec 23, 2013, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: WHOA!! Hopper is a miss after ONE year. Might turn in your ]

He had some decent flashes during the season, though nothing that blows you away...

...but I think you, and perhaps all of us, are a little spoiled and expect too much out of freshman due to Sammy coming in here a couple of years ago and blowing the doors off. We can't expect every guy to live up to that sort of billing. Hopper can still be an impact player without making huge waves his first year.

Re: Scott has the best chance...

Dec 23, 2013, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Scott has the best chance... ]

I think you're absolutely jumping the gun on Hopper. The dude is a RS Freshman.

Everyone is keying in on "like Sammy" part

Dec 23, 2013, 11:48 AM

Hopper could be explosive like Bryant has been or like Williams might be. It will be hard to replace the athletic ability Sammy has.

Dec 22, 2013, 12:39 PM

According to the coaching staff priester was the most college ready of the wrs that included mike williams. I'm going to say KY priester has biggest impact especially if bryant leaves.

Hopper definitely isn't a miss...

Dec 22, 2013, 1:02 PM

Go back and watch some film on him. Kid is a hell of a blocker and had really good hands. Gonna be a stud.

Priester- by a mile.

Dec 22, 2013, 1:13 PM

Given that he had a year at FUP and he's an early enrollee, KP looks the most ready to contribute. And, like someone already posted, you don't replace Sammy. He's special.

Re: Priester- by a mile.

Dec 22, 2013, 1:24 PM

Watkins was unique.

Much like Spiller at RB, guys with that talent only come around once in a while...

Re:Hopper definitely isn't a miss...

Dec 22, 2013, 1:19 PM

For him to have been in a backup role and played in as many games as he did, if he was gonna be anything more than a role player, we'd have seen it already. I hope I'm wrong but all the signs imo point to him being a miss.

Re:Hopper definitely isn't a miss...

Dec 22, 2013, 1:26 PM

Hopper is still young.

He has plenty of time to improve and show what he's got...

Hopper more productive than Humphries on ST and has

Dec 22, 2013, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re:Hopper definitely isn't a miss... ]

a big chance to develop with some extra competition on board.

I still think Bryant returns and becomes the star. Humprhies stays solid but maybe becomes backup, and Peake and Williams battle for the starting slot opposite Bryant.

Scott seems to have the best raw talent, and Priester isn't far behind.

Without Bryant then Scott, Priester, and Kitt battle it out for a starter slot opposite Peake or Williams. Scott might be the winner in that fight.

Not a legitimate question

Dec 22, 2013, 1:36 PM

Sammy is much more skilled than any of these players. I am very glad to have all three new WRs but none have the rare blend of speed, size, route running, hands that Sammy possessed upon arrival.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scott reminds me alot of Watkins

Dec 22, 2013, 1:57 PM

I don't think Kitt or Priester is as explosive.

Re: Scott reminds me alot of Watkins

Dec 23, 2013, 10:48 AM

agree with you, but think Scott is much much shiftier and explosive than watkins and possibly a better route runner.. His only knock is his size.

You can pencil him in as a punt and kick returner next year, assuming he can hold onto the ball. Nobody on this team currently has his ability to make people miss, and he is fearless running in traffic.

I think he along with Choice will be special.

Dec 22, 2013, 2:12 PM

I don't know with those 3 true fresh. But I do think that Adam Choice will get a lot of playing time as a true fresh. The guy IMO seems to be a STUD at the RB position.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scott and Kitt will see playing time***

Dec 22, 2013, 2:57 PM

Probably Priester

Dec 22, 2013, 4:00 PM

He's not the biggest name among those guys, but remember, a lot of people thought he was the most ready to contribute last year and he's had another year at prep- school to develop. He's tall and fast, and I think he'll be more ready than any of the guys we're bringing in this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unlike the rest of you, I haven't seen all of them play,

Dec 22, 2013, 4:54 PM

so all I've got to go by is star ratings, some matchbox-sized videos of them against HS competition, and a bunch of internet talk. Based on that though, I have no idea.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Kaboom!! Can't believe you have been on here 13 years

Dec 23, 2013, 9:45 AM

and still haven't received your scouting credentials. Glad I'm not by myself.

Who can learn the playbook, block & make adjustments?

Dec 22, 2013, 4:56 PM

That guy gets the initial snaps.

Re: Who can learn the playbook, block & make adjustments?

Dec 22, 2013, 6:01 PM

I'd suspect neither of the guys have a big impact. Sammy was an anomaly. You can't expect that from any guy coming in ever. Also note that none of those three guys are burners. Scott has good quickness, but none of these guys have "special" speed like Sammy. That doesn't mean they won't eventually be solid or exceptional contributors down the line though.

How does not having Sammy speed translate to also not having

Dec 22, 2013, 6:07 PM

a big impact? Neither Peake nor Bryant have Sammy speed - at least not his acceleration - but both have made noticeable impact in their few touches.

No WR we have now may have his athletic ability, I'll give you that. But we have a very deep roster of WR talent when you include the 14 class, and I think there is a good chance we'll see more than one make a big impact in their career.

Hopper has been a total bust

Dec 23, 2013, 12:43 AM

Just like that Ellington scrub and don't even get me started on the scholarship we wasted on Dwayne Allen. This topic seriously made me lol. Hopper probably would have at least been the #2 throughout the 2000s. If he is the worst WR we have I think we are doing ok.

Re: Hopper and Stoudt seem to be on the same page with

Dec 23, 2013, 2:23 AM

each other.

If Watson comes in and wins the starting job

Dec 23, 2013, 9:01 AM

He's really #### good..... And our opponents are gonna bleed.... Stoudt and Kelly ain't exactly dog meat..... Watson will have to be superman

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic