Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
President questions safety of football---LOL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

President questions safety of football---LOL

Jan 27, 2013, 12:41 PM

Updated: January 27, 2013, 10:22 AM ET
ESPN.com news services
http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=8886528&type=story

"Obama tells The New Republic that football fans are going to have to wrestle with the fact that the game will probably change over time to try to reduce the violence."

With all the talk about more taxes and the ones with
the most paying their fair share, think he has stopped
to think how many in the NFL are in the upper 2%

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I question his committment to the upholding the Constitution***

Jan 27, 2013, 12:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but, he swore an oath, on a ...Bible. ... Ooh.***

Jan 27, 2013, 12:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Hmm, no guns, no football...he's on a roll....***

Jan 27, 2013, 12:55 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am trying to find the link between your two "paragraphs"***

Jan 27, 2013, 12:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Maybe the absence of NFL players would mean less to be

Jan 27, 2013, 1:00 PM

taxed...

That would be errant and hyperbole. Nobody thinks football

Jan 27, 2013, 1:21 PM

is going anywhere. Everybody should recognize truth in what the president said regarding football. CTE is real and needs to be addressed. If I had a son I cannot say with certainty that he would be allowed to play football. The cases in the news are only the NFL players. There is no telling how many high school and college players may have some form of CTE.

In fairness, there also needs to be some definitive linkage between CTE and mental illness that clearly eliminates the possibility of baseline mental illness prior to the repeated head trauma. In the meantime, I would not take the chance with my son. Even TV announcers are discussing the ethical dilemma of being a football fan and a recognition of what it is that we are supporting as fans.

I don't know the answer, but I sure have a hard time reconciling my love of Clemson football and knowing the potential results of the repeated head trauma to the same players I am cheering on.

null

I know what you mean...it is definitely a dangerous sport

Jan 27, 2013, 1:44 PM

However, there are many dangerous sports out there that seem to yield more deaths and injuries than football.

Boxing/MMA is about as violent and brutal as it gets. Skiing is dangerous, and if I'm not mistaken, a woman pro athlete recently died due to head trauma after landing awkwardly. Even sports that aren't really sports but entertainment like wrestling has had it's share of injuries and even death.

Fact is, it is out there and football is far from the most dangerous. It is a very violent sport, but many precautions have been taken to increase its safety.

In the end, it is the athletes choice of whether or not they want to participate. They should be aware of all the dangers and risks before entering, but I'm not so sure someone should decide for them if they should participate.

Yes, and all have been heavily regulated. Go watch some

Jan 28, 2013, 9:37 PM

youtube footage of historical fatal racing wrecks. They weld front doors shut because it was demoralizing having racers die when they got t-boned and had the sides of the car collapse; they put nets in place of front windows because they didn't want to see Richard Petty get dragged half-way out of his car again, upside down; they stopped letting drivers modify actual stock cars because it was bad for the sport to have the front half of Don McTavish's car get stripped completely off, and then for a live ABC audience to watch a probably dead McTavish take a literal face-on, fully exposed hit from another driver coming out of a turn at 200 miles an hour; they required safety helmets because some idiot used to drive without one until he hit a wall and had his head slam into it, killing him instantly. And if you want to see real fun, watching Richard Petty's dad and a couple of other cars literally go over a retaining fence on one of the old tracks and wind up down an embankment. There are lots and lots and lots of things that NASCAR and other racing organizations have managed to do via regulation that doesn't stop people from enjoying the races but that do tend to prevent people from burning up in gas fires, trapped in their vehicles, or turned into hamburger meat after having their exposed cabin get dragged along a fence by another driver.

Re: That would be errant and hyperbole. Nobody thinks football

Jan 29, 2013, 1:44 PM [ in reply to That would be errant and hyperbole. Nobody thinks football ]

Are you going to let him drive a car?

Re: President questions safety of football---LOL

Jan 27, 2013, 1:00 PM

######! Just when I wanted guns introduced into football. The Last Boy Scout.

President plans to ban the use of the word gunners on

Jan 27, 2013, 1:15 PM

special teams.

His next agenda policy.... LOL,,Can TIGER NATION boo

Jan 27, 2013, 2:16 PM

this time or should we be politically correct in honor of the sacared office of an idiot.

Take the politics to the political board***

Jan 27, 2013, 2:18 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Take the politics to the political board***tigerking79®

Jan 29, 2013, 6:04 AM

Take time to read the link
But I agree Obama should keep politics out of football

President questions safety of football
sspassport® Jan 27, 2013 12:41 PM

Hey, dimwit - he's right.

Jan 28, 2013, 9:17 PM

There have been several rule changes over the past few years with the specific intent of reducing "violent" hits and millions of dollars have been spent developing new helmets that can help prevent concussions and head trauma. They're also going to begin testing for HGH, which will affect the size and speed of the vast majority of NFL players.

What about that isn't changing the game to try to reduce the violence? And what does that have to do with taxes?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey, dimwit - he's right. "TigerKirb"

Jan 29, 2013, 6:39 AM

Use Caution you're started down a path with an unknown destination

this is about steroids but

Jan 28, 2013, 9:32 PM

it is the way I feel about football

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSJrrr9zXo

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: President questions safety of football---LOL

Jan 28, 2013, 10:13 PM

This from a guy who was nearly blinded playing a harmless game of pickup basketball.

I Would Have Guessed He Cared More About The Kenyan

Jan 28, 2013, 10:51 PM

Professional Soccer League

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hypocritter:

Jan 29, 2013, 9:10 AM

http://dawn.com/2012/12/19/no-obama-tears-for-children-killed-by-drones-in-pakistan/

This is NOT an issue for the President of the United States

Jan 29, 2013, 9:22 AM

to address. His office is waaaaay above this and there are monumental challenges faced by the Federal Government that are his charge. International conflicts, terrorism, the massive, massive, massive, massive debt. It infuriates me that a sitting President comments on things like the safety of football or his preference for a playoff in college football (although I believe he was asked directly about this...still I believe his role is to defer to the governing bodies over those areas and move on). Focus on your job.

I am not trying to be partisan here. I am sure there are many instances where Republicans do similar things.

null

Re: This is NOT an issue for the President of the United States

Jan 29, 2013, 12:49 PM

Funny you should say that, because one Republican President is responsible for saving football as we know it by using the presidency to get the responsible parties to change football rules to make the game safer.

http://www.history.com/news/how-teddy-roosevelt-saved-football

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31657/time-teddy-roosevelt-saved-football

http://symonsez.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/when-a-president-threatened-to-abolish-football-in-the-united-states/

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/01/31/110131fa_fact_mcgrath?currentPage=all

His drone strikes and unconstitutional wars are dangerous

Jan 29, 2013, 12:23 PM

too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic