Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Please define "Free"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Please define "Free"

Oct 10, 2017, 1:10 PM

While I am not an accountant, I have been in business long enough to understand that there is no such thing as free in business. Every asset is accounted for somewhere. I also have seen balance sheets for Clemson University as well as the Clemson Athletic department and given that this is a public university, this info should be publicly available.

If Clemson Athletics is giving these tickets to the students for free the value of them will be listed as a loss or negative on the athletic department's balance sheet. If the tickets are being sold to the university to be distributed to students, they will show on the athletic balance sheet as income and on the university balance sheet as an expense. If the latter is true, there should be a portion of tuition and fees collected from students transferred to the athletic department to cover this cost.

Bottom line (pardon the pun), is that these tickets are a sellable asset that have a value and must be accounted for somewhere. Once again, in business, nothing is free. If monies are collected from students and then the tickets are given out in a lottery format, then CU is involved in gambling at some level and worse than that, all students are being forced to gamble without being given a choice to opt out. If the students are not charged for a chance at tickets as part of tuition and fees and they truly are given to the students by the athletic department then they may be free to students, but ultimately a loss to the athletic department and therefore the university.

Either way, these tickets were sold to (through tuition and fees) or given to the students. As the rightful owner of the tickets, they deserve to do what they please with these tickets. If anyone has a problem with the process, it should be with the school, not the students.

Maybe the students should all kneel at the next game and then we would really have something to talk about. This poster does not support kneeling at any public event outside of church.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please define "Free"

Oct 10, 2017, 1:17 PM

Pretty sure it was a rock group from the 70s. Paul Rogers, lead singer. "Its alright now", ring any bells?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are right, you are not an accountant

Oct 10, 2017, 1:29 PM

your suppositions are incorrect for the most part.

So steer me in the right direction

Oct 10, 2017, 3:07 PM

Who covers the cost of the tickets? Or are you a liberal that still believes in free?

A sale that doesn't occur is NOT a loss

Oct 10, 2017, 3:25 PM

It is just not a sale

Re: A sale that doesn't occur is NOT a loss

Oct 10, 2017, 3:35 PM

I can only respond that your rules of accounting are much different from anything that I've ever been exposed to. No need for me to try to further explain my point. Have a good day.

You might use this as a learning experience

Oct 10, 2017, 4:23 PM

and get exposed to a whole new world of accounting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So steer me in the right direction

Oct 10, 2017, 3:48 PM [ in reply to So steer me in the right direction ]

Me, me...I can answer that!

I can attest, from personal experience, that Bengaline is not a liberal.

He is a conservative, a good American, but conservative none the less.

Thank you very much, glad I could help. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your Tigernet access....

Oct 10, 2017, 1:29 PM

...Should Crump mark you down as a loss on his bottom line?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hits nail on head!!!***

Oct 10, 2017, 1:32 PM

Your business skills are amazing

Oct 10, 2017, 3:28 PM

ly weak. It's not an expense, it's lost revenue. Which is not accounted for on a P&L or balance sheet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

They don't teach that at Greenville Tech***

Oct 10, 2017, 3:47 PM

No kneeling at a public event outside of church? Obviously

Oct 10, 2017, 3:46 PM

you are married.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2017, 3:47 PM

free
fr?/Submit
adjective
America

Oct 10, 2017, 3:48 PM

The "lottery" is in no way a form of gambling as there is no money involved on the student side that they are wagering to win, it would essentially be like you filling out a card at the mall for a free drawing for a lawn mower, where you have a chance to win an item of value for free.

Also, with regards to the tickets, they are potential revenue, however, as there is a student allotment this reduces the amount of "sell-able" tickets that are open to the general public and therefore (Total Seats - Student Allotment) x Face value of the tickets = Potential Revenue. If they are accounting for them as lost revenue I'm sure they wouldn't have a line item on the balance sheet that says "Student Tickets Lost Revenue Expense," and instead it would be on the Balance Sheet under a larger expense ledger. Otherwise a companies/universities balance sheet would be 100s of pages long.

Oct 10, 2017, 3:49 PM

What about "Free Shoes" University?

So much for being One Clemson family...

Oct 10, 2017, 3:51 PM

when you can squeeze every little for the smallest amount of dollars Dan Snyder like.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic