Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does it strike you as odd the play caller and rb coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Does it strike you as odd the play caller and rb coach

Sep 30, 2019, 3:39 PM

goes away from the run at the drop of a hat but calls unsuccessful wr screen over and over

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does it strike you as odd the play caller and rb coach

Sep 30, 2019, 3:47 PM

Tony is a great play caller-he calls plays that he thinks will
work and sometimes the play was busted because the defense came
with their A-game and for some reason, our offense was on their
B game but what the hay, we won. Tony has been great ever since
he became the play-caller. Give him a break or go in the booth
and tell him the plays that you would call. BTW 20 AND 0!!!!!

Message was edited by: irmotig®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 3:50 PM

Huge fan of tony but he occasionally calls some boneheaded plays. Lots of them Saturday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plays that don’t work some call boneheaded.

Sep 30, 2019, 3:53 PM

Hindsight is 20/20.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

Re: Plays that don’t work some call boneheaded.

Sep 30, 2019, 4:16 PM

It appears he had a game plan to call plays against UNC trying not to lose the game instead of a game plan calling plays that allow our guys to try and win the game. Conservative game plan for sure with all the short screen passes Saturday which they were ready for. The down field passing game was pretty much nonexistent which could have opened up some holes for our running game. Offensive line had a terrible game overall with all the offside penalties and not giving Trevor much time at all to get passing game going. We pretty much did everything possible we could do to lose this game by still managed to win it.....and that is all that really matters......Dabo will right the ship before FSU and we will be fine......Go Tigers!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Does it strike you as odd the play caller and rb coach ]

74TIGER said:

Huge fan of tony but he occasionally calls some boneheaded plays. Lots of them Saturday.

So if the play works it’s a great call but if it does not work a terrible call? Is that your logic? Busted assignment or great play by the D has no bearing?

I remember a time a few years ago when many whined about running from the shotgun near the goal line as we were terrible at converting. It turns out that our OL has to block regardless of the formation

Sep 30, 2019, 4:39 PM

I just believe doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting a different result isnt the way to go

I don't think those were called WR screens

Sep 30, 2019, 3:50 PM

you will have to ask the coaches or TL, but they looked like RPOs where TL thought he had an extra body for the screen pass

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 4:55 PM

It's an RPO. Lawrence has the option to hand the ball off on those plays, or throw the screen if he feels we have an advantage. You can disagree with us running the RPO, but we've been running it for years now, and I'm only pointing out that it's not like we're calling for the screen over and over. Also, we didn't have much luck with the screens this past week, but I'd be willing to bet that we typically gain at least a few yards off of them each time in most games.

I'm also not sure I'd say we got away from the run against UNC. We ran 31 times compared to 30 passes, and we averaged 4 yards per carry, which isn't terrible, but we weren't exactly running it down their throats. I think we would've seen more runs, but we struggled to pick up first downs, and we had 6 or 7 false starts which took us out of running situations.

For instance, on our first drive of the 2nd half we had a 3rd and 1 from the UNC 30, and a false start put us back to a 3rd and 6.

On our next drive we got a gain of 5 on first down with a run, which set up the play to Powell by faking it to ETN. The play only didn't work due to Powell tripping up which resulted in a loss of 1 yard, and put us in an obvious passing situation on 3rd down, especially after another false start made it 3rd and 11.

It also didn't help that UNC had nearly a 9 minute drive in the 4th, and that we took a knee to run out the final 1:17.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic