Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Playoff committee/movement/new details
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Playoff committee/movement/new details

Dec 9, 2014, 12:01 PM

Ok, it appears the story from yesterday about the movement costing the ACC and Clemson money caused quite a stir on the boards. I can't answer all of the emails I received - no time - but some further digging has turned up some new info I wanted to pass along. I have a good friend that covered the entire process for the media, and I have some insight into what actually happened with Miss. St. jumping Michigan St. in the final rankings. Once it was explained to me, it made a little more sense. So here goes, and I am hearing this will be the answer once members of the committee are asked about what happened.

The committee grouped teams - and they ranked them in groups of six or four or two or whatever and kind of put their poll together in groups like that. The week prior - Miss. St., Michigan St., Kansas St. and Arizona were all grouped together. Arizona and Kansas St. both lost and dropped out of that group. So they slide the teams up and it's Michigan St. and Miss. St. together, and when they looked at the two of them they saw Miss. St. had four wins they considered quality wins and they were 2-2 against the Top 25. Michigan St. was 0-2 against the Top 25, including a home loss. Michigan St.'s wins over teams over .500 were Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers. So in the final rankings Michigan St. fell out of the final group with Miss. St. Once the season was done and they looked at quality wins it made a difference in the final rankings. And again, I get this from someone who had knowledge of everything that went on in the room. They didn't necessarily look at the teams (Miss St vs Mich St) the week before, but when the final rankings were put together. So there is what I know.....and she told me that she knew for a fact that DRad had Michigan St still ahead of Miss St. at the end, but the committee speaks. So there ya go.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That makes more sense.

Dec 9, 2014, 12:06 PM

But we still got screwed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That makes more sense.

Dec 9, 2014, 1:46 PM

Not being sarcastic here, I apologize to D Rad for my negative post calling him a greasy, used car salesman.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

jeez, David....

Dec 9, 2014, 12:06 PM

That's a lot more boring than the scandal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That may be the rational they use but....

Dec 9, 2014, 12:09 PM

if it looks like bull*** and smells like bull****, it's probably bull****.

Mississippi State lost two of its last three games.

There is no justifiable explanation for them to move up three spots in the poll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

When lumped w/ 3 folks...they are 3rd.

Dec 9, 2014, 12:10 PM

When only 2 are considered, then they are 1st.

come on man, logic!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

That is absolutely insane. And it just happened to work out

Dec 9, 2014, 12:10 PM

to benefit the SEC and BigTen the most. That doesn't make more sense to me. That makes me feel worse about the whole process. Corrupt.

I agree!***

Dec 9, 2014, 2:31 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Playoff committee/movement/new details

Dec 9, 2014, 12:12 PM

I don't like this at all. Miss St & Mich St. had the same wins & losses the week before, when Mich St. was ranked ahead. The system is broken if that is how the committee justifies this.

I actually talked to D Rad about this the other day and he couldn't believe how some people were voting. He said it was as if some on the committee never watched a football game EVER. He seemed as frustrated with it as everyone on here.

Sounds like the error was in the previous week's ranking.***

Dec 9, 2014, 12:14 PM

Aren't they supposed to start with a clean slate each week?***

Dec 9, 2014, 12:15 PM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, and that's the reason why you saw this "jump".

Dec 9, 2014, 12:19 PM

Which isn't really a "jump," because the previous week's rankings should be ignored.

So losing 2 of 3 justifies a three spot jump in the poll

Dec 9, 2014, 12:22 PM

as long as you have a bye week the final week of the season.

I think the point was they had them too low to begin with

Dec 9, 2014, 12:23 PM

and when faced with it, saw a need to correct it.

It's hard to argue with what is presented by David here. Miss St. does have a better resume.

That's totally contrary to conventional wisdom***

Dec 9, 2014, 12:29 PM

Which part? Miss St. having a better resume?

Dec 9, 2014, 12:30 PM

Or the committee "correcting" themselves?

If Clemson had Miss St.'s resume, would you think

Dec 9, 2014, 12:32 PM

they should be higher than Michigan St., whose best wins are against Nebraska and Maryland?

If they're truly into comparing resumes and who has the

Dec 9, 2014, 12:44 PM

better wins, with the downgrading of Michigan State, then why did Ohio State jump TCU and Baylor?

Out of those three, who has the best wins, and who has the worst loss?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I think it's very difficult to distinguish the three...

Dec 9, 2014, 12:51 PM

Ohio St. had the worst loss of the three, for certain. TCU certainly had the best loss.

I would rank their wins as follows:
1. Baylor vs. TCU
2. Ohio St. @ Michigan St.
3. Ohio St. vs. Wisconsin (neutral)
4. tie - Baylor and TCU both vs. Kansas St.
6. Baylor @ Oklahoma
7. Ohio St. @ Minnesota
8. TCU vs. Oklahoma
9. TCU @ West Virginia
10. Ohio St. vs. Cincinnati

Forgot TCU vs. Minnesota, which would go in

Dec 9, 2014, 12:52 PM

around #10 there.

Re: Forgot TCU vs. Minnesota, which would go in

Dec 9, 2014, 12:59 PM

You just made yourself look like a fool. Ohio St. win over Minnesota is #7, But TCU's is #10???? Ohio St. beat minn by 7, TCU beat them 30-7.

And how the hell is a win over minnesota below Oklahoma?

Message was edited by: CUAtTheFinishLine®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See the "@"***

Dec 9, 2014, 1:00 PM

Re: See the "@"***

Dec 9, 2014, 1:01 PM

TCU beat them by 23!!! As opposed to Ohio St. 7....How much are you giving for home field advantage? 25?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't look at the scoring margin for this exercise

Dec 9, 2014, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Forgot TCU vs. Minnesota, which would go in ]

but if I did, Ohio St. would probably have #1 and #2, the 59-point win over Wisconsin, and a 12-point win at Michigan St.

Baylor at Oklahoma would be up there as well, 48-14.***

Dec 9, 2014, 1:04 PM

So OSU at Minnesota is #7 but TCU vs Minn is 10?

Dec 9, 2014, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Forgot TCU vs. Minnesota, which would go in ]

Minnesota was overrated in my opinion, especially since their only two "quality wins" were to Nebraska and Iowa, both at home.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Not sure losing 2 of 3 really matters. It doesn't factor in

Dec 9, 2014, 1:54 PM [ in reply to So losing 2 of 3 justifies a three spot jump in the poll ]

when comparing full resumes and while human nature tends to consider trends that suggest teams playing better or worse later in the year, in Mississippi State's case it was more a product of having a backloaded schedule than then not playing well. I think it's likely they would've lost those two games (especially @Bama) no matter where they were on the schedule.

Re: Yes, and that's the reason why you saw this "jump".

Dec 9, 2014, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Yes, and that's the reason why you saw this "jump". ]

Your correct. Its just like TCU falling from 3rd to 6th. Once the whole body of work was completed, the slate was cleaned, and they came up with their final rankings. I think they got it right with miss st over Mich st, unfortunately. Miss st had a way better resume than Mich st. I wish that wasn't the case cuz it hurts Clemson, but it is what it is.

Still not proven résumé.

Dec 9, 2014, 12:30 PM

Media says SEC is the best, BIG is garbage, yet Ohio St jumps TCU. Preseason picked conferences land @ #1 & #2 in the playoff and the ACC continues to get slandered.

B$

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they probably were influenced by "recency"...

Dec 9, 2014, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Aren't they supposed to start with a clean slate each week?*** ]

As you have said, Miss St. had lost 2 out of 3. I don't think it should matter when a team loses, just that they lost.

Re: I think they probably were influenced by "recency"...

Dec 9, 2014, 1:42 PM

It should matter if you are trying to put together the best teams in the playoff. Why do you think teams play warm up games to start the year. You don't find out what you have until week 3-4 and if injuries strike and you lose games down the stretch you are no longer the best team available. Look at OSU until the backup showed what he could do no one had them in with a hurt QB.

null

So then why are our losses not quality losses and help

Dec 9, 2014, 12:20 PM

us move up in the end? We lost to #1 and dropped out earlier!!

Wrong conference....***

That wasn't a committee poll, that was AP/Coaches

Dec 9, 2014, 1:59 PM [ in reply to So then why are our losses not quality losses and help ]

poll. And the reason we aren't getting more respect with our 3 losses is because we only have 1 decent win (UL).

So they are saying losing to #2 & #4 is worse

than losing to #1 & a crippled #9.

For some reason I don't buy that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Folks, please don't forget the $EC multiplication factor...

Dec 9, 2014, 12:36 PM

Do I have to remind you again ?

An $EC win is actually worth 1.5 another conference win.
And an $EC loss is actually counted as .5 another conference win.

You're never gonna get this committee stuff if you don't keep up.

Thanks David! Glad you are on top of things! I still think

Dec 9, 2014, 12:46 PM

this system is no better than the BCS. Just take the BCS and use the top 4 teams for the playoff. It seems to me that the CFPC used whatever rational they needed to place the teams where they wanted.

Personally, I think it was a failure and a complete crock-a-crap and if DRad has no sway or pull, let him stay in Clemson and try to help Clemson. Padding his resume does nothing for our University.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2014, 12:51 PM

I think it's important to understand none of these people have deal with such as this. They are all feeling their way through this though they had a fairly good plan to begin with.

If there is a mistake it's not matching teams to give everyone a good game to watch. IMO, three to five places in the ranking shouldn't make much difference. If there's a blowout in any of these games the committee will surely see their mistakes and hopefully they will learn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2014, 12:52 PM

Thought that might be the case and glad to hear DRad at least had our back in the selection process. Maybe some fans will cut him a break that he is going to have a hard time convincing other members to pick Mich. St. over Miss. St. when you actually look at everything. While it would have been nice to go to the Citrus Bowl it is hard to argue that Mich. State was better than Miss. State if you look at things over the course of the year.

While it might make sense???, it shows a lack of consistency

Dec 9, 2014, 12:54 PM

by the selection committee in how they are making decisions week to week. You can not have two teams, whose wins and loses from the week before did not, flip final rankings because the criteria they were being benchmarked against changed.

I don't really dig this "grouping" thing myself.

Dec 9, 2014, 12:57 PM

Maybe that's the best way to do it because the teams are easier to digest in chunks. But if it causes misses like that, then it should be evaluated as maybe not the best method.

Re: I don't really dig this "grouping" thing myself.

Dec 9, 2014, 2:06 PM

I am fine with the grouping if that's the way they want to do it but do they not have some checks and balances. Does no one go down the rankings and reevaluate after they assign places based on groups. Its not like they put this rankings out on a whim. They have plenty of time.

null

Too much power and responsibility

Dec 9, 2014, 1:31 PM [ in reply to While it might make sense???, it shows a lack of consistency ]

I can see how you can have the committee select 1-4, but for them to manipulate the rankings to get the bowl games that they wanted outside of the playoff is way too much power for them. And the fact that they didn't do their homework in the penultimate poll shows they were in over their heads.

They are admitting that they were clueless the Tuesday before, or they manipulated the rankings.

Why even have a prior poll - just have a final one!***

Dec 9, 2014, 2:32 PM [ in reply to While it might make sense???, it shows a lack of consistency ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is explanation is worse than I originally thought...

Dec 9, 2014, 2:16 PM

When we considered more teams, we determined that miss st wasn't better, but when we looked at just those 2 teams, they were actually the best. What???

Oh it's a rankings thing. You see when you base the conclusion off of preseason and early season rankings that are unjustified and quite honestly we made up, it makes more sense, amIrite???? No, well do you remember that miss St plays in the SEC? That trumps all, we win!

There is no good answer.... NONE!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic