Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pilot.net
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 262

Pilot.net

Aug 7, 2018, 2:01 PM

'member the shimmy thing I mentioned a month ago, give or take? Was happening at 70-75, and typically only under power/torque, and would mostly disappear coasting at the same speed. The Junge Automotive Collective deemed it a suspension issue rather than drivetrain. Shimmy got worse on roadtrip last weekend, and now shakes at 55, and from 70 all the way into the 80s. Took it to my mechanic, who is a certified badass--master mechanic who has been fixing cars out of his house for 45 years (his business was grandfathered in, so he's allowed to continue to do so). He put it up on the rack to look for anything obvious, and said struts, CV joints, etc., are all ok--struts will need to be replaced fairly soon, but not the cause of the shimmy today. He took it out, and said he'd bet his house that it's a flat spot on a tire in the back (he thinks the shake is in the seat, rather than the steering wheel, but I've felt it in both).

Firestone is pulling them off to balance and seeing what they find. 2 of the tires have 30-40K on them and I replaced the other two less than 20K ago, so not sure if there'll be any warranty value there. If not, Costco has some 70K Bridgestones on coupon for $159 per, so fuggit, we'll do the whole set. Firestone guy tells me that those are "club" tires, which aren't up to the same specs as the same Bridgestones they sell. Never heard that--is that true? I mean, they're still 70K and warrantied, so why would I care even if they are spec'd a little differently?

They called and said cabin filter is dirty--lolno. They charge $50 for a $21 filter that takes 40 seconds to change. Also said high amounts of copper in brake fluid and lines should be flushed and changed--how legit is that?

I'm not sure I even have any real questions. Offer me your opinions, car bros.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

did you check the rim fluid levels?***

Aug 7, 2018, 2:05 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pilot.net

Aug 7, 2018, 2:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Bridgestone/firestone tires blow.

Aug 7, 2018, 2:09 PM

You'll messing with balancing them for as long as you own them..along with flat spots in the winter. Spend the extra $200 and get Michelin's. It's worth it.

Brake fluid does need to be changed every 5 years or so. I don't know where the copper would come from (if thats ture, that's another issue all by itself), but brake fluid does absorb water over time and water doesn't doesn't compress well, nor does it do well with heat in the calipers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree that brake fluid should be flushed, but

Aug 7, 2018, 2:15 PM

I do it every 2 years (I realize no one else does, but that's industry standard) and it probably would be cheaper to do it at the dealer when they have a coupon out for it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since I have a 4runner, I just wait until the calipers

Aug 7, 2018, 2:17 PM

freeze up and then change the fluid when I change calipers.

Aug 7, 2018, 2:14 PM

Next time you're at speed and there is a vibration, knock the transmission in neutral. If the shake goes away, it's probably the torque converter (which Honda sucks at making).

If it's not the TC, then if the shake is in the seat swap the rear tires to the front. If the shake goes to the steering wheel it's the tires. If it's still in the seat, it's probably not.

Or gas and matches...

Honestly, it seems like the Pilot is at the end of its life

Aug 7, 2018, 2:16 PM

and you should probably buy that 1980 Plymouth Volare you were looking at.

Uh, I mean OBED was looking at.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dried mud on the tires.....

Aug 7, 2018, 2:22 PM

Will make for a rough ride.

don't be groce***

Aug 7, 2018, 2:22 PM

Cook.it with a little garlic and

Aug 7, 2018, 2:24 PM

Bella.

Re: Dried mud on the tires.....

Aug 7, 2018, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Dried mud on the tires..... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I told you I had the exact same issue right? 2009 Pilot

Aug 7, 2018, 2:26 PM

I haven't noticed it since April though.

Mud finally fell off.....

Aug 7, 2018, 2:28 PM

I bet.

My brother's pilot, same thing. His was the eco drive

Aug 7, 2018, 2:29 PM [ in reply to I told you I had the exact same issue right? 2009 Pilot ]

where some of the cylinders turn off

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine was not eco***

Aug 7, 2018, 2:30 PM

I have a shimmy/shake thing going on

Aug 7, 2018, 2:31 PM [ in reply to My brother's pilot, same thing. His was the eco drive ]

Also, have the eco drive where 2 of the 6 cylinders turn off. I think that is what is wrong with mine. There is a "fix" where you can bypass the VCM(?) feature and turn it off manually, but I haven't done it yet b/c lazy AF.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Pilot? Are you sure that

Aug 7, 2018, 2:30 PM

your purse or diaper bag hasn't gotten itself caught up in the axle when you backed over it?

yeah, its practically a minivan, especially the new ones***

Aug 7, 2018, 2:36 PM

Only women drive Pilots, amirite?***

Aug 7, 2018, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Pilot? Are you sure that ]

Dudes driving Pilots? Ell oh Ell. End me if that ever

Aug 7, 2018, 2:44 PM

happens to Greenr.

Seriously, please end me.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2018, 2:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Time for something new.***

Aug 7, 2018, 3:12 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 262
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic