Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
An off the wall idea to make ACC football more interesting...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,933

An off the wall idea to make ACC football more interesting...

Nov 15, 2015, 8:50 PM

Since we are already in bed with Notre Dame, but many feel they should be all in, or get their butt out, here is my proposal to entice ND into full membership and shake things up a bit. ND now plays 5-6 ACC teams each year, but doesn't want to play eight,

1. Split the teams into three 5-team divisions.
2. The 2 highest ranked division winners in the CFP, would play for the conference championship.
3. To entice ND, require only seven conference games, four in your division, and 3 cross-division.
4. Possibly only count intra-division games in the division races. This would eliminate inequity of
cross-division schedules.
5. Require at least two OOC games against power 5 teams. ND already does this, Clemson usually does.
6. Nothing would stop a team from scheduling an eighth, or even ninth, conference team. It would just
count as an OOC P5 game.
7. Could possibly just put the five northern schools in a division(ND, Louisville, Syracuse, BC & Pitt)
and equitably divide the southern teams into the other two divisions.

This proposal would be greatly helped if ND wins out, but gets left out of the playoff.

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang...thought I'd get a comment with this, pro or con.***

Nov 15, 2015, 9:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thought that crossed my mind was them winning on out

Nov 15, 2015, 9:43 PM

only to lose their spot. Folks call that a "life lesson" I think or "teaching moment" maybe

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Teaching moment...that's what if hoping for.***

Nov 15, 2015, 9:49 PM

Re: Dang...thought I'd get a comment with this, pro or con.***

Nov 15, 2015, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Dang...thought I'd get a comment with this, pro or con.*** ]

ND won't join period, and at this point I wouldn't blame them! They will be home watching everyone else get bsnged up championship weekend while they get rest for playoffs.....HeII if we were to lose in championship game 1 loss ND jumps 1 loss Clemson and we beat them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt about that, but ND will change their tune when they

Nov 15, 2015, 9:55 PM

get left out a couple times, when they think they should be in, Unfortunatly, they may sneak in this year, the way others are dropping like flies now. Still not betting on them beating Stanford, though. Stanford is better than anyone ND has beaten yet. They've only beaten a couple borderline top 25 teams.

Re: No doubt about that, but ND will change their tune when they

Nov 15, 2015, 10:03 PM

N.D. will get put in when they should get left out. They will never get left out when they should be in. The pollsters love them better than they love the SEC.

Nov 15, 2015, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Dang...thought I'd get a comment with this, pro or con.*** ]

There's a lot of "ifs" here, but if Clemson, Ohio St., Alabama and either Ok St. or Oklahoma win out, then I think ND gets bumped out of the top 4 and they will feel disadvantaged by not being able to be a conference champion. Once that happens, they may rethink staying as a football independent.

OK State is a better argument than Oklahoma actually. Oklahoma would have better wins but ND would have the better loss - Clemson compared to Texas.

Nov 15, 2015, 10:05 PM

They would not be conference champion if they were in ACC.

Nov 16, 2015, 2:21 AM

Depends on the division alignment or what other means the conference would use to determine which two teams are in the championship game.

Nov 15, 2015, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Dang...thought I'd get a comment with this, pro or con.*** ]

You are right! If Oklahoma wins out i think they're in and if bama lays a egg against Florida all bets are off.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure would, because of the timing of the losses. Losing late

Nov 15, 2015, 11:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Dang...thought I'd get a comment with this, pro or con.*** ]

in the year is never a good thing.

Well, the CFP Committee and media love them some ND...

Nov 15, 2015, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Dang...thought I'd get a comment with this, pro or con.*** ]

So one division champ is gonna get screwed unless they have an epic year that just mesmerizes everyone. ND and FSU and Clemson will get preferential treatment over the other school by voters and committee members (which is great for us since we're on top). This season a team like UNC could get left out and ND would get in, although UNC could go undefeated in the conference.

Some very good ideas in your post. Good read! I just don't know if the 3 division concept can really work.

~JKB

Pick up Navy and make it 4 - 4 team pods

Nov 15, 2015, 9:52 PM

Put Navy and ND in the same pod so that gets rid of one of the OOC games ND needs. If the NCAA will allow it, make it a 2 game mini playoff for conference champion. It gives the top teams a chance to have an extra showcase game and additional practices. Decide the champions by making the teams play each team in their pod + 1 team from 2 other pods + 2 teams from the last pod, shuffling the teams from the other pods so that eveey 3 years you've played every team in the conference. If the NCAA will let us do this, I believe it will be optimal. That gives each team 7 conference games which allows teams like Clemson, FSU, and ND to schedule me quality OOC games. That's what I would like to see.

Don't see NCAA going for 2 playoff games(would actually be 3)

Nov 15, 2015, 9:57 PM

Thats a really radical concept.

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

I just would like to see you tell people in Louisville

Nov 15, 2015, 11:30 PM

they are Northerners.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

ND isn't joining a conference.

Nov 15, 2015, 11:45 PM

Everybody is mistaking fans' perspective from BOT perspective. ND's management is interested in income not NC trophies.

1. They don't split their TV contract with anyone.

2. They take the place of any ACC team that they are ranked higher than, That's in any bowl contracted to invite an ACC team.

3. If they ever place in the PO bowls they split the money with no one.

Follow the money and be glad we can rank higher than them because when they displace Clemson in a bowl the chit will hit the fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND isn't joining a conference.

Nov 16, 2015, 12:03 AM

They were ripe for the picking prior to us promising them 5 ACC games a year. As conferences continue to expand, they were going to soon find it difficult to fill their schedule (IMO).

Offering them 5 games a year ensured they wouldn't need to join a conference unless they wanted to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Notre Dame just where they are. I think it's helped

Nov 15, 2015, 11:49 PM

us that they've played and beaten Texas and USC, plus the upcoming game with Stanford. Our win over them looks more impressive than if their resume was mostly ACC - they're a better measuring stick for the conference as a semi-member, and I think this season is further bearing that out.

On divisions, the best solution I've come across by far is doing away with them completely, where each program has three "permanent" rivals then rotates through the rest of the league's teams twice every four years. Every recruiting class would play every league team home and away during their cycle, and it works perfectly with an 8-game league schedule and 14 teams. Top two teams square off in the ACCCG.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,933
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic