Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Part of Dabo's genius.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,352

Part of Dabo's genius.

Jan 27, 2017, 10:39 AM

First of all I am not anti Danny or Tommy B. for that matter. But both came up short where Dabo has succeeded. Both Danny and Tommy wanted more in the way of facilities. Both of them took the approach of complaining about what they did not have to the press. Dabo went out and forged relationships of trust with the decision makers. This eventually led to the full completion of the west zone, the indoor practice facility and the new football ops center.

Forging relationships of trust is also what makes him successful as a recruiter and in acquiring and retaining great coaches, most of whom would have equal or bigger opportunities elsewhere.

Message was edited by: revmarkg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2016 would have been National Championship # 3 or 4

Jan 27, 2017, 10:47 AM

had the admin not fired Danny. That's all water under the bridge now. Go Tigers !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually....probably not...

Jan 27, 2017, 10:52 AM

if Danny is not fired in 1989, the dominoes would not have fallen as they have. Almost 100% chance Dabo would not be our head coach now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there in school during Danny's last years...

Jan 27, 2017, 12:22 PM [ in reply to 2016 would have been National Championship # 3 or 4 ]

watching the canes win championship after championship. Being there at that time, watching what was going on, I always came to the same conclusion; if we could have gone to a more sophisticated, higher-power offense, we could have been the ones playing them for the championship every year in the late 80's. THAT'S where Danny Ford's program lacked. Defense was consistently good, often near the best. We should have won 2 more championships before Danny left in 1990.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pretty well said

Jan 27, 2017, 1:12 PM

i'm an 83 grad and revere danny..he taught me the most important tenet of football - if you control the line of scrimmage, both sides of the ball, you almost always win the game..and that has not changed over the years.

but you are absolutely correct about danny's overly-conservative offense..he would not throw the ball on first down..i suspect we have sufficient fingers to count the number of times danny threw on first down..and, if we went into halftime with a 10-point lead or more, he would not throw the ball in the second half..we lost (or tied) several games we should have won because the offense went so predictably conservative..doug flutie (bc) and the marshall qb come to mind.

the conservatism wasn't just offensive either..when the noles pulled puntrooski, it was (imo) danny's fault for not recognizing what many in the stands recognized and were hollering, "it's a fake!"
that was early in fsu's heyday and bobby played for national championships..a loss that day - nearly certain had they actually punted - would have knocked the noles out of the natty picture - unlike now, when a late loss (thankfully) doesn't kill you..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Different time, different administrations, different tactics

Jan 27, 2017, 11:47 AM

Danny was asking for athletic dorms and what became Vickery Hall. The administration wanted no part of athletic dorms after the Oklahoma scandal. Clemson eventually built Vickery. Danny wasn't getting the support from the administration for behind the scenes benefits so he had to go public. Danny was a big driver for Vickery and also Calhoun Courts and Lightsey Bridge apartments. By the time Danny was fired, pretty much the only football players left in Mauldin Hall were freshmen.

Tommy had to fight the fan perspective that our facilities were fine when they had really fallen behind. He eventually got the administration behind the West Endzone because he showed that it had revenue potential. Once he got what he wanted and still didn't show improvement, he was canned. The athletic department eventually started cramming AD people in what was supposed to be football only.

Purnell complained about facilities, and they gave him token improvements. He left.

Leggett didn't complain to the public about his facilities, scholarship support and other financial deficiencies until it was too late and it cost him his job.

Penley had to go to his golf alumni to generate the funds needed for their facility improvements.

Dabo hasn't HAD to go public with his sales job. He's had an administration that sees the value of the non-revenue generating support areas. The operations center wouldn't have gotten off the drawing board with TDP. The combination of DRad/Clements isn't something that Danny, Tommy, Purnell or Leggett had.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Different time, different administrations, different tactics

Jan 27, 2017, 12:36 PM

Sometimes, it's not so much WHAT ya say.........As it is HOW ya say it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy didn't belong in this thread.

Jan 27, 2017, 12:52 PM

Danny could have gotten anything he wanted had he played the political game as well as Dabo.

BTW, I find no reason as far as coaching ability, management of personel or any other major factor which is considered important in regard to which is a better coach. Time will tell but I suspect Dabo will soon take center stage in my heart wearing the crown 'Best coach who ever took the field.'

DISCLAIMER:
No offense intended to either side of the discussion is intended by this poster.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,352
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic