Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One thing to keep in mind on the player's union issue . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

One thing to keep in mind on the player's union issue . . .

Mar 27, 2014, 9:56 AM

I'd bet my house that this was not the brainchild of any player. My thinking is that a Chicago union boss approached a group of players with the idea.

Although I'm against the idea of a union, the issues of medical care for injuries sustained by players and minimizing concussions should have been dealt with long ago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there's always this.....

Mar 27, 2014, 10:01 AM

Q: What impact does the decision have on public universities?

A: None. The decision in the Northwestern case affects only private universities. Any attempt by players to form a union at, say, Ohio State, or Nebraska, would be governed by the specific state's laws on unions of public employees (teachers, firefighters, police.) It is different in each state. But there would seem to be little doubt that athletes at these public schools will be watching what happens to determine whether they want to do something similar. Large public employee unions like the SEIU or AFSCME may be willing to help these athletes in the same way the United Steelworkers helped Colter and the Northwestern players.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10678393/nlrb-director-decision-follows-road-map-laid-northwestern-quarterback-kain-colter-legal-team

this ain't gonna fly in SEC Country.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But that affects public universities in recruiting

Mar 27, 2014, 10:08 AM

A player can get a union-negotiated salary or benefits by going to Duke or Wake or Vanderbilt, but can't get them at NCSU or Clemson. Do you think that might impact recruiting?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it will probably result in split football subdivisions

Mar 27, 2014, 10:18 AM

in the manner of FCS and FBS schools. Or maybe conferences will define this.

those who pay players and those who don't.

Would a $10,000 yearly "salary" cause you to go to Northwestern over Bama or Texas? I doubt it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: there's always this.....

Mar 27, 2014, 10:16 AM [ in reply to there's always this..... ]

Correct but, I don't feel as though a team is gonna let itself not be on equal ground as far as player compensation if it's to be. Just sayin if they pay at one there gonna pay at others union or not .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have problem with any unions

Mar 27, 2014, 10:03 AM

In principle. The problem is the leadership gets greedy our corrupt or both.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I do!

Mar 27, 2014, 10:12 AM

In principle they are garbage! The idea that an employee doesnt get what he/she wants so they band together with other employees to force the business owner to meet their demands or they will all stop working. That stand-off is only rectified if the owner meets the demands or fires all of them and finds new employees. IMO its hijacking. If you dont like something about your job and your boss wont/ cant change it for you... QUIT!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

read Sinclair's the jungle to see

Mar 27, 2014, 10:23 AM

Why unions are a good thing in principle. I don't know the value today. It seems with the media you can easily report and change any company with unethical or unsafe practices.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

When i was in the 8th grade

Mar 27, 2014, 10:25 AM

my Pop made me read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" because of that very reason.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'm with you. I grew up in a union household

Mar 27, 2014, 10:20 AM [ in reply to I don't have problem with any unions ]

my Pop was National VP of the National Association of Letter Carriers and a shop steward for his last 15 years as a mailman/USPS in Columbia. I saw the good they could do and we reaped the benefits as a family of having a union worker father with the health, dental, and other bennies. However, they get corrupted and become political entities instead of worker representation folks and it gets murky and agenda driven. The need for them was huge back in the early to mid 20th century and there still are some companies that would screw their workers if they could, believe that. However, too many unions have screwed themselves and it makes the good ones look like greedy, lazy, opportunists and it's sad. Union men like my Pop and other family members hated the Teamsters, for example, for how corrupt they were...I'm never going to be anti-union but I have my opinion on them case by case now. I will say, as a former state trooper on a non-union dept. (SCHP), i would never EVER again work in law enforcement on a non-union agency. All you have to do is talk to a union LEO and it's embarrassing how much better their quality of life and departmental life is compared to non-union LEO's. It's comical how much of a difference it is. I could write a book on how different.

The corporate anti-union machine is only accelerating...***

Mar 27, 2014, 10:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep, and the selfish, agenda driven unions have made

Mar 27, 2014, 10:27 AM

it that way in large part. What bothers me though is the mindset that the corporations are always innocent. There is big time greed and agendas on both sides and I have a hard time letting either side off the hook.

Agreed. Generally the principals have no principles....***

Mar 27, 2014, 10:29 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe I missed something...

Mar 27, 2014, 10:04 AM

Since when do players not get medical care?

How do unions help prevent concussions?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah

Mar 27, 2014, 10:05 AM

I thought these players got tons of zero cost medical care.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think one thing to keep in mind is that this will be

Mar 27, 2014, 10:14 AM

A very long process. One small step was taken yesterday when a board decided the Northwestern players could be defined as employees. That will be appealed.

Thats how income taxes started too!***

Mar 27, 2014, 10:16 AM

VERYYYYY LONG !***

Mar 27, 2014, 10:17 AM [ in reply to I think one thing to keep in mind is that this will be ]

Re: Can not wait for the first STRIKE!!!***

Mar 27, 2014, 10:57 AM

Re: One thing to keep in mind on the player's union issue . . .

Mar 27, 2014, 11:16 AM

living near Chicago for a while I was relieved they are involved because everyone knows nothing corrupt ever comes from there. (heavy sarcasm)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One thing to keep in mind on the player's union issue . . .

Mar 27, 2014, 11:54 AM

Sorry if Germans....

If student athletes are employees then the value of their "salary" i.e. scholarship and other stipends should be taxed as income

Welcome to the real world.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic