Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If DW4 is Clemson Football GOAT & Jimmy Key is Baseball GOAT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

If DW4 is Clemson Football GOAT & Jimmy Key is Baseball GOAT

Jun 9, 2018, 3:16 PM

Who is the Clemson Greatest of All Time on the basketball hardwood? Tree Rollins? Dale Davis? Horace Grant? Mitchell Wiggins? Based upon combined college and NBA careers, my vote is for Mr. Larry Nance! 13 NBA seasons. 17 points. 8 rebounds per game. Rock solid!

I recall a story I heard about Nance back in the day ... After he rapidly gained weight and muscle as a power forward for a talented Cleveland Cavs team, he was asked how he bulked up. His answer was he always had teeth problems, did not like or could not afford dentists, and once he had his teeth fixed, food tasted much better. Anyone else recall a story like that? Well anyway, best to Nance, his family and his son Larry Jr., a modern-day Cleveland Cavalier. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Skip Wise was easily the greatest basketball player to ever

Jun 9, 2018, 3:33 PM

play for Clemson. His career was incredibly brief and his story tragic, however. If longevity is considered, taking into account both college and pro, then I'd have to go with either Nance or Grant.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Skip Wise was easily the greatest basketball player to ever

Jun 9, 2018, 4:21 PM

No argument. Best scorer. Best skill sets. First freshman 1st-team All-ACC in history of conference.

Read an article a few years ago on Skip Wise as a playground legend scoring 50-60 in games with NBA greats. Said Wise had just excelled in possibly a pre-season Golden State game. The rest of team was gone and his coach came back to locker room to check on Skip who was shooting some junk in his arm. Sad story. Grew up in projects/ gifted on the courts and never overcame drug addiction.

Based upon one year in Tiger Town and drugs stopping NFL career before it started, have to go with Nance as GOAT due to better life and better representative for university. But what could have been ... regret it much more for Wise than Clemson University who came through just fine.

https://jordanypippen.es/2013/09/07/the-greatest-who-never-made-it/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grant would be my pick if we’re talking

Jun 9, 2018, 5:25 PM [ in reply to Skip Wise was easily the greatest basketball player to ever ]

NBA career only.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Horace Grant was our one and only ACC POY

Jun 9, 2018, 6:04 PM

That alone would probably get him the nod ... but he also had a really great career overall at Clemson in addition to starting on championship NBA teams.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great points. Grant did indeed play a critical role as a

Jun 9, 2018, 7:31 PM

starter on the Jordan-led championship teams from Chicago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: If DW4 is Clemson Football GOAT & Jimmy Key is Basball GOAT

Jun 9, 2018, 4:23 PM

I’d have to say Horace Grant. 17 yr nba career and 4 rings. He was the glue on those bulls championships. IMO never got near the credit he deserved for those teams. Just understood his role and played to perfection.

I want to say I saw his stats at Clemson and he shot avg 60% fg his 4 years while in tiger town.

Tough call.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If DW4 is Clemson Football GOAT & Jimmy Key is Basball GOAT

Jun 9, 2018, 4:26 PM

Horace Grant - 4 rings and ACC MVP and regular season conf. champion. Strong contender. Great colleg and pro careers.

Can any of you old timers describe what watching Skip Wise

Jun 9, 2018, 4:31 PM

was like in his one year at Clemson with Tree Rollins? Would be interested to hear! Soc Howell, Class of 1984

Re: Can any of you old timers describe what watching Skip Wise

Jun 9, 2018, 5:16 PM

I've said this before, but Tates Locke was a control freak. If he had let Wise play his game, his one year at Clemson would have been even more incredible than it was. I really regret the fact that there are no utube highlights of his career which deprives most tnetters from seeing how great he really was.

Sad what happened to Wise

Jun 11, 2018, 1:51 PM

never saw him play but from what I was told he was the best player ever at Clemson

Nance and Tree were the best I saw

back then baseball was not thought of as much as fb and basketball but things have changed

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

P.S.

Jun 9, 2018, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Can any of you old timers describe what watching Skip Wise ]

As far as playing style, he reminded me of Oscar Robertson. Wise had the same high dribble with an amazing back pivot.

Can't believe the CUAD doesn't have some Skip Wise footage

Jun 9, 2018, 6:06 PM

Lots of his games were televised and all of them were filmed for the coaches. The stuff has got to be somewhere.

Re: Can't believe the CUAD doesn't have some Skip Wise footage

Jun 9, 2018, 6:22 PM

Yes, we should ask David Hood to inquire about that. I'd pay a fair amount of money to see a replay of the UNCheat game at Clemson that year. And, that game was definitely televised.

Swofford burned the film.*******

Jun 9, 2018, 6:42 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One more Skip Wise memory

Jun 9, 2018, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Can any of you old timers describe what watching Skip Wise ]

In the UNCheat game that I mentioned, we had the game won and Skip was dribbling off some time at the end. He left a Cheat player laying on the floor, stopped his dribble and held the ball with one hand directly out in front of him as if to save, come try and get it from me. He was incredible.

Jimmy Key far from GOAT while at Clemson. Just

Jun 9, 2018, 5:24 PM

greatest in pros.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jimmy Key far from GOAT while at Clemson. Just

Jun 9, 2018, 5:58 PM

At Clemson, Key posted a 9–3 record and 2.79 ERA on the mound, and batted .300 with 21 doubles. Key is the only Clemson player to be a member of the first-team All-ACC in two positions (pitcher and DH) in 1982. He pitched the opening game of the 1980 College World Series. Say again Joe?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He’s one of many greats. Greatest while at Clemson?

Jun 9, 2018, 8:15 PM

Tough call as he’s one of many.

Re: He’s one of many greats. Greatest while at Clemson?

Jun 11, 2018, 8:53 AM

You said not at clemson

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jimmy Key far from GOAT while at Clemson. Just

Jun 11, 2018, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Jimmy Key far from GOAT while at Clemson. Just ]

He prett done good. Best pitcher I’d say

I saw Key when he was at the Yankees and he was dominate

Jun 11, 2018, 1:55 PM

but never saw him at Clemson

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are we just ignoring Khalil Greene in baseball?

Jun 9, 2018, 6:22 PM

.444 batting average with runners in scoring position was definitely what we were missing this year.

He was our all-time best baseball player IMHO ...***

Jun 10, 2018, 11:40 PM

Nance or Tree. I'd take either one.***

Jun 9, 2018, 7:08 PM

Re: If DW4 is Clemson Football GOAT & Jimmy Key is Baseball GOAT

Jun 11, 2018, 8:40 AM

Pro career has nothing to do with who was the best at Clemson. Baseball it would be hard to go against Greene

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic