Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coot family member on the woman's side of the family
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,650

Coot family member on the woman's side of the family

Dec 26, 2017, 1:44 PM

Tried to say that most 5 stars are 5 stars because they don't play stiff competition and it makes them look great. I said no sir it is not that way. 5 stars usually play difficult comp in high school while some underrated 3 or 4 stars play at smaller schools. They will try to say anything to make recruiting not matter. Brought up Jerry Rice. Yes Rice, Moss, and others didn't go to big schools. You find a diamond in the rough sometimes. We have Renfrow and we are lucky to have him. I would bet most NFL players were 4 or 5 stars out of high school. Would love to see a stat on this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coot family member on the woman's side of the family

Dec 26, 2017, 1:53 PM

Actually if you look at the NFL rosters, most are in the 3 star range. Sorry to blow your argument but the facts say otherwise. I will try and find where it was reported.Here is what i found...
When it comes to winning a national championship in college, the recruiting star system matters. There's a science behind this, but all you actually have to do is look at the past several national title winners and where they finished in recruiting the 3-4 years prior. Five-star and 4-star players dominate these rosters, particularly when it comes to recent champions like Alabama, Ohio State and Florida State.

However, when it comes to winning a Super Bowl or making the Pro Bowl, how prospects rated out of high school or JUCO seems to matter less.

There are a few reasons for this. For one, not every player in the league was around at the time recruiting rankings became a thing, though that number is getting smaller by the year. Two, stars aren't an indicator of performance at the professional level of the game. Ratings are made by evaluators based on the level of a player's talent and how a particular recruit projects as a success playing college football.

And three, the math doesn't favor a high percentage of blue-chip recruits, and it never will.

AD BY DR PEPPER
Skip your way to victory
From Larry Culpepper videos and GIFs to contest winners, see what's new in all things Dr Pepper today with our What's New section!

Emmanuel Acho
?
@thEMANacho
There's roughly 29 5-Star recruits per class & 300K 3 star & Below. DUH there r going to be more former 3* & below on #Probowl Rosters!

12:43 PM - Dec 21, 2016
Replies 34 34 Retweets 119 119 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 1:58 PM

Not necessarily:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2722094-looking-back-at-the-high-school-scouting-reports-of-todays-biggest-nfl-stars

...but if stars don't matter to them, then wonder why they think they need another 5 star Clowney??

Glad Clemson isn’t trying to win Super Bowls***

Dec 26, 2017, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Coot family member on the woman's side of the family ]

Dec 26, 2017, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Coot family member on the woman's side of the family ]

It may not matter much in the NFL. We were arguing about college though. When they beat is 5 years in a row they were recruiting more 4 and 5 stars. Now that we are we are and they are not we are winning more. He acts like they do not need them is the point he was trying to make.

On the contrary...

Dec 26, 2017, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Coot family member on the woman's side of the family ]

The reason there are so many more 3 stars in the NFL is because it's a much larger pool of prospects. There are over 1,000 3 star prospects every recruiting cycle, but only 20 or so 5 stars. Statistically, it's far more likely for a 5 star to make it to the NFL than a 3 star

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On the contrary...

Dec 26, 2017, 3:00 PM

This. I'm not sure what's so hard to get about that by all the people who love to quote the 3 star players in the NFL stats. Just look at the percentage of 4 and 5 stars that get drafted vs. the percentage of 3 stars or lower and that shows way more. Yes of course some 5 stars end up being busts, and some 3 stars end up becoming legends, but I'll take my chances with as many 4 and 5 stars as I can get on my team.

As for the family member who made the original comment. It sounds like they're an idiot, and think the star rankings are determined based only on stats.

People can cherry-pick whichever stats meet their argument..

Dec 27, 2017, 10:20 PM

but they can still be wrong

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the ratings do matter, but the coaching matters most...

Dec 26, 2017, 2:39 PM

and ours have proven to be elite in the college game and will remain so... a coach still has to get the elite out of a player, whether they are a 5* Big Dex or DWatson or a walk on Renfrow or 2* Grady Jarrett or Tyler Grisham...

they cannot and will not win the coaching battle any time soon, so it does not matter how many stars their recruits have, their coaching will more Tommy Bowden-esque than Dabo Swinney-esque...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 2:42 PM

Only reason Randy Moss didn’t go to FSU was because he got in trouble before he ever played his first game with them.

He was very highly regarded in high school

Dec 26, 2017, 3:03 PM

For every 5* bust there are 200 3*'s that you never hear the name of. Recruiting success and football wins basically mirror each other. There are other factors like coaching and injuries that have large impacts too but Clemson is the only team in years that didn't average a top 5 recruiting class and won a NCG and Clemson was around #9.

If Oklahoma won it all this year it would be a major oddity. But I do think Mayfield was a transfer so he didn't count towards their mid-teens recruiting classes.

Dec 26, 2017, 6:26 PM

I'm guessing the family member is bashing his opinion on Clowney. He was a five star out of HS, had two good years at coot u, drafted #1, and has proven for 3 years that he's overrated. Hit em with this and see what they say.

Why were you talking football with a Coot ?

Dec 26, 2017, 9:50 PM

That is like talking economics with your 4 year old nephew

The first thing you should say when a coot starts clucking

Dec 26, 2017, 11:29 PM

is "goodbye."

There's simply no reasoning with animal who has a brain the size of a shrunken pea.

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,650
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic