Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3 out of 4 Americans view George Floyd's death as an
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

3 out of 4 Americans view George Floyd's death as an

Jun 6, 2020, 3:35 PM

underlying racial injustice problem. That is up more than 30 points over a similar survey done several months after a white cops murdered Michael Brown and Eric Garner. That, coupled with the diversity of the protesters, gives me hope.

I realize that more than a few white racists are feeling emboldened (as we also see here on the Tigerboard,) as they usually do when a black man is murdered by cops, but I am hopeful that things are different this time and that progress is coming.

Lots of interesting numbers is this poll: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/74-americans-view-george-floyds-death-underlying-racial/story?id=71074422

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should be 4/4***

Jun 6, 2020, 3:38 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you been in the mange?***

Jun 6, 2020, 3:41 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have you been in the mange?

Jun 6, 2020, 3:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's weird how these injustices bring out the racist whites

Jun 6, 2020, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Have you been in the mange?*** ]

and just emboldens their depravity.

They wear their racism like a badge of honor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. And explains the GOP resistance to the cause.

Jun 6, 2020, 3:50 PM

Can’t alienate the base.

One thing I will say about Donald Trump is he really

Jun 6, 2020, 4:03 PM

knows his base.

Re: Yep. And explains the GOP resistance to the cause.

Jun 7, 2020, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Yep. And explains the GOP resistance to the cause. ]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-run-minneapolis-generations-why-090004608.html
https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/_af9MwwNAu9WGluFQUUTSg--~B/aD04NTA7dz02MDA7c209MTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/https://media.zenfs.com/en-us/usa_today_opinion_532/b4527cb17e9bb054a00bd9fcf4fbf40e">

People who don't agree with my opinions = racists.

Jun 6, 2020, 7:24 PM [ in reply to It's weird how these injustices bring out the racist whites ]

And I feel empowered when I brandish that weapon.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You refuse to see anything white people do as racist.

Jun 7, 2020, 9:32 AM

It's as though you can click your heels together 3 times and utter "there are no white racist" and it will somehow make it so.

But, judging from the diversity of the protests, there are fewer and fewer of you out there. White people are starting to come around and that is when change will come.

Re: Should be 4/4***

Jun 6, 2020, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Should be 4/4*** ]

I gave you a TU, but what of the cop was just a power hungry jerk who would do it to anyone?

Maybe we should start with mental illnesses.***

Jun 6, 2020, 3:56 PM

Jun 6, 2020, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Should be 4/4*** ]

seems as though if the cop was a flaming racist, it would be all over the internet, not seeing a lot of info about him, what were the 10 prior complaints ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2020, 7:44 PM

he had 15 complaints against him

Jun 6, 2020, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Should be 4/4*** ]

The answer might be obvious when we see those complaints. He is either a bad cop or a racist bad cop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have yet to see objective evidence, or a rational

Jun 6, 2020, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Should be 4/4*** ]

argument, for the claim that the Floyd killing indicates systemic racism by police.

The policemen was likely a racist. There are others like him, guaranteed.
There is a racial injustice existing in the US.

To conflate those two and personalize them in specific politicians, political parties, store owners, athletes and etc hides whatever problem that does exist, ensuring that no solutions will be employed, and that the problem will continue. The partisan and personal reaction to Floyd shows that the activists dont really want the problem solved - no solutions are being offered - they want it blamed on someone else. One side would rather use the problem than solve it: when a trillion words and no action is the strategy, a solution is not the goal.

The injustice that does exist is going to require a mindset change that, from my limited experience, neither blacks nor whites want.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% correct.***

Jun 6, 2020, 7:25 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: 3 out of 4 Americans view George Floyd's death as an

Jun 6, 2020, 4:19 PM

You can at the very least show some intellectual honesty about Michael Brown? I would like to see what you believed happened to him In Ferguson so I don’t misunderstand?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’ve misrepresented the data...

Jun 6, 2020, 4:35 PM

The question was not about racial injustice. The question was:

Do you think the recent death of George Floyd in Minneapolis is an isolated incident or sign of broader problems in the treatment of African Americans by police?

74% said it was a sign of broader problems...
94% of African Americans said it was (the other 6% are clearly racists)
75% of Hispanics
70% of Whites

It’s sad that anyone who might have responded it’s an isolated incident is automatically labeled a racist. Dialogue can’t more forward if your opinion is predetermined before even hearing an alternate opinion.

Since 6% of African Americans responded it was an isolated incident, what’s your thought on why they said that? The only alternative I’ve seen in this thread is they are racists. Could they have different life experiences? Do they live in rural areas or small towns? What about the 25% of Hispanics? Clearly they must be racists too.

No, I didn't.***

Jun 6, 2020, 4:40 PM

Re: No, I didn't.***

Jun 6, 2020, 4:48 PM

Was Michael Brown “gunned down” as CBS claimed this morning? When CBS uses this kind of inflammatory language, it doesn’t help.
On the other hand, we know what they are really after. And by the way, defunding police in black communities is the most racist idea I’ve ever heard.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 3 out of 4 Americans view George Floyd's death as an

Jun 6, 2020, 4:54 PM

If you truly believe such a thing, are black people just

Jun 6, 2020, 5:09 PM

lying about experiencing it almost daily?

That's the oldest trick in the book. The first phrase

Jun 6, 2020, 5:12 PM

doesn't require the second one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you truly believe such a thing, are black people just

Jun 6, 2020, 5:13 PM [ in reply to If you truly believe such a thing, are black people just ]

“On all sides” is there an acceptable amount?

Jun 6, 2020, 5:18 PM

Some bad cops doing “stupid things”

I see a party that’s resisting like hell making any substantive changes to something you agree is a problem. Led by a man who campaigned to cops that he’d take the handcuffs off of them and put them back on the criminal.

Re: “On all sides” is there an acceptable amount?

Jun 6, 2020, 5:22 PM

there are legal processes to address disputes, use that, destroying property and looting does not push the ball forward

Re: “On all sides” is there an acceptable amount?

Jun 6, 2020, 5:26 PM [ in reply to “On all sides” is there an acceptable amount? ]

What a maroon.***

Jun 6, 2020, 7:19 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic