Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
South Carolina completely screwed up my voter registration
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

South Carolina completely screwed up my voter registration

Nov 6, 2018, 11:49 AM

What a headache. SC totally screwed up this one....

I used to live in Powdersville, I moved to Simpsonville in July.

I updated my drivers license to my new Simpsonville address in July. Got my new drivers license in the beginning of August.

I registered to vote with my Simpsonville address in September.

Got my voter card in October. I made a boneheaded mistake and didnt open the letter with my voter registration card, granted I had seen that you only need your drivers license to vote, so I didnt bother. I just assumed I didnt need it and that my updated drivers license was good to go. Kept the voter registration card anyways, thank god.

Go to my local polling place this morning in Simpsonville. I'm not on the list. I go home, get my voter registration card, open it, and see that despite the fact that I registered to vote with my new Simpsonville address, the great state of South Carolina has registered me under my previous Powedersville address I no longer reside at by mistake. Guy at the Simpsonville polling place tells me to go to Powdersville. So I go there, and the people there tell me that I can only vote in the precinct that my driver license address resides in (which is Simpsonville).

So, I go back to Simpsonville and tell the guy what happened. He calls someone "from Greenville" to see what I can do to vote.

He informs me that I can fill out a "failsafe ballot", and tells me that it will be a paper ballot as opposed to electronic. I agree, and am actually pleased as I prefer to use a paper ballot over an electronic one.

I fill out the ballot and sumbit it.

He then calls Greenville back, has a conversation, then fills out a slip of paper and gives it to me to fill out. It asks for my contact info, address, and has a space for me to fill out asking why my voter registration is messed up and why I am having to take "corrective actions" on my ballot.

He then informs me that due to the voter registration issues, I will now have to go to a hearing held by the state voting commission.

I have to go to this hearing, listen to them inspect my ballot, and then I have to testify and plead my case to this committee. After I do this, the committee will then decide whether or not my vote should be counted. They will also try to see if any "legal or compliance issues" occurred in regards to my voter registration and attempt to vote

If I dont show up and contest my vote, my ballot will be expunged and will not be counted either.

All because some moron screwed up my voter registration.

I'm guessing this was an issue with the DMV records, because I very deliberately registered to vote with my new Simpsonville address.

My lord, what a pain in the ###... Granted, I should've taken the time to check, thats on me, but really, they had one job....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that would not happen in NC

Nov 6, 2018, 12:03 PM

Here, they don't care who you are, as long as you can recite an address and name in the particular precinct at which you happen to show up.

Here's the process:

1: Show up.

2: At first table they hand you a blank piece of paper where you write a name and address. That's it, no questions asked.

3: Go to second table, had over piece of paper, and tell them the same name.

4: They look the name up and ask for the address (which you just wrote on the paper)

5: As long as you correctly orally recite the address, they peal off a sticker with the name and address you stated and put the sticker on the piece of paper and hand the paper back to you.

6: Finally, you hand the piece of paper to the poll worker who activates the machine.

No ID or registration card needed whatsoever. If a friend had said, hey CA, i'm out of town this week will you vote for me, I could have. If I wanted to play a prank on a neighbor, and vote before they showed up to vote in the PM, I could have. If I wanted to vote for the old man across the street who just died, I could have. No checks on the process whatsoever.

But, liberals, please tell me again why none of the above ever happens and requiring an ID is a bad thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that would not happen in NC

Nov 6, 2018, 12:25 PM

I am glad South Carolina has protections in place like this to prevent voter fraud. However, if they are going to have them, they need to make sure they work.

I believe this was a communication issue between the DMV and the SC voter registration department. I think the DMV was delayed or incorrect in relaying my current address, despite the fact that I selected my current Simpsonville address on the SC Vote website.

They cant have this many compromises in their system. But thats typical South Carolina, always half-a$$ing it. Just look at our infrastructure.

Now imagine you were black***

Nov 6, 2018, 12:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

call 1-800-rev-jesse?***

Nov 6, 2018, 12:07 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Now imagine you were black***

Nov 6, 2018, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Now imagine you were black*** ]

Ethnicity would have absolutely nothing to do with it as they dont even ask for you ethnicity when you register. It is not a factor. This is just plain ol' bureaucratic incompetence.

FYI, there were about 2 dozen african american individuals in front of me in line who voted with no issue. A large group of them were wearing MAGA hats too.

Re: South Carolina completely screwed up my voter registration

Nov 6, 2018, 12:28 PM

My wife and I renewed our DL at the same time, and made the same assumptions you did. Mine works so I voted in Laurens but hers still shows her in the Fountain Inn address even though her new DL is correctly showing Laurens.

Yes, a big ole PITA!

Re: South Carolina completely screwed up my voter registration

Nov 6, 2018, 2:12 PM

WOW! Glad I'm not the only one.

Did you guys have to attend a hearing?

From what I understand, its not a criminal hearing, just simply one to clarify what happened. I think they do it because they realize how incompetent their own system is.

Voter ID laws...lol

Nov 6, 2018, 5:32 PM

So tell us, how much of an illegal caravan riding Islamic terrorist are you?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic