Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
what does rpi really represent
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

what does rpi really represent

May 27, 2018, 1:54 PM

Is a 1 or 2 rpi team really better than a team that has a 3 or 4 rpi or is it that they have just beaten better teams based off their rpi. Stetson has an rpi of 4 and we are at 11 currently. Looking at stetson schedule they have played 6 or 7 power 5 team and went 4 and 5. They beat alot of team with wining record but there conference isn't on the level of the ACC. Who would win this series? Florida lost what 6 of last 7 but still have a 1 rpi. Does rpi really represent who the best team is. Don't know where i'm going with this but Clemson should be a top 8 national seed. RPI don't mean jack to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what does rpi really represent

May 27, 2018, 1:58 PM

Rating Percentage Index ----------- RPIhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_percentage_index

Re: what does rpi really represent

May 27, 2018, 2:03 PM

i know what rpi stands for and represents but isn't actually an indicator of how good a team is IMHO.

No, it's not really a good indicator of team strength in

May 27, 2018, 2:13 PM

any sport that uses it. Any metric that doesn't include margin of victory / run differential is pretty poor at determining how good teams actually are. That's why most of the "politically correct" metrics traditionally used by the NCAA selection committee, CFP selection committee, and the previous BCS computer models were/are all pretty bad.

That's also why it's very interesting to me that the NCAA selection committee added the KenPom ratings as an additional tool to use during the men's basketball tournament selection process this year. KenPom is very, very good and definitely not one of the traditional PC metrics.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic