Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Clem and ND run table, ND shouldn't be higher than Clem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

If Clem and ND run table, ND shouldn't be higher than Clem

Nov 1, 2017, 8:21 AM

Notre Dame basically plays a mini ACC schedule sprinkled in with a couple of PAC12 teams (which has already been established as the weakest conference). I don't see how the committee would place ND higher than an ACC Champion 1-loss Clemson team that had to play 1 more game. In a scenario where both teams run the table:

Pros for ND:
- They'd have a better loss than Clem
- National Brand recognition

Pros for Clem:
- They'd be conference Champion
- They'd have to play 1 extra game
- ND would not have a better win than Clem (looking at ND schedule their best 2 wins will be Miami who everybody knows really isn't that good and an overrated Southern Cal team). Clem would be looking at potentially 2 wins over a highly ranked VT or a win over VT and Miami if Miami happens to win the Coastal.
- Credibility being the defending National Champs
- Somewhat explainable loss with KB being hurt

I just don't see how ND goes ahead of us in this scenario. The only way ND could possible go ahead of us is if UGA goes undefeated and smokes Bama in the the SEC championship game. I just don't see that happening though because I don't believe Bama can ever be beaten by a run heavy Offense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Clem and ND run table, ND shouldn't be higher than Clem

Nov 1, 2017, 8:25 AM

Well I think it would be unfair to degrade their win vs Miami but yet praise Miami if we have to play/win against them...

Message was edited by: jsebe10®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

The point is that they won't have a better win than Clem

Nov 1, 2017, 8:33 AM

Miami's their only hope for a "best win". In my scenario, we either would have beaten Miami too in the Championship game or we would have beaten on 2 separate occasions a VT team that would have beaten Miami.

Ok..so let's address the biggest flaw in your argument

Nov 1, 2017, 8:48 AM

"Pac12 doesn't have a dominate looking team so stanford and usc are bad teams. " That simply isn't true...and..stanford/usc are easily as good as luisville/syracuse.
But any way, there are bigger holes in your argument.

You forget their only loss would be to uga while clemson's was to syracuse.

You also forget that they will play 3 of the same teams. ND beat the brakes off BC and NCST. They have Wake.

Clemson didn't look nearly as dominate against BC as ND did. We'll see about wake and nc state this weekend.

You are also omitting their beat down of Michigan state.

Uga, bama, and nd arent 1-3 just because of their schedule. They are 1-3 because they have been dominating their schedules thus far, and to be fair ND has had a tougher schedule than uga or bama.

If clemson didn't lose to cuse, they would easily be 1 right now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I also see lots of flaws in what you wrote too

Nov 1, 2017, 9:20 AM

- First I clearly stated that ND had a better loss than Clem. It was considered in the ND "pros". They just don't have very many of those "pros" in my scenario.

- We basically played BC equal to ND. ND lead BC 21-13 with like 2 minutes left in the 3rd qtr. It was a legitimately tight game through 3 qtrs. Then they scored a bunch of points in the 4th qtr to make it 49-20. It basically played out the same way with us. Tight game through 3 qtrs and then we hit them hard late to win 34-7. They were not more impressive. This is a wash at best.

- I'm not going to give ND a ton of credit for beating a Michigan State team that will likely end the year with at least 4 losses whose current best win is barely beating a currently unranked Michigan team.

If ND runs the table they should be #1

Nov 1, 2017, 8:28 AM

Their schedule is turning out to be tough. Much tougher than bama or uga.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I don't think you can knock NDs schedule

Nov 1, 2017, 8:44 AM

They might not have bagged a 10, but they are going home with a whole bunch of 7s, 8s, and 9s.

By the end of the year, their schedule will be comparable with ours. And their loss is "better" than ours. The only difference would be the 13th game and a conference trophy.

I'm not knocking ND's schedule

Nov 1, 2017, 9:00 AM

I'm just saying that they won't have better "Wins" than Clemson if both teams run the table from this point on.

Re: I'm not knocking ND's schedule

Nov 1, 2017, 9:07 AM

Which makes sense but remember they are currently ahead of us in the polls. So I do not believe we would move ahead of them at any point unless they lose of course.

What I got of the rankings is that we should be in by winning out. However Oklahoma still has chance to change that with big games coming up. It will be close but I think we edge them out too in the end (since we are already ahead of them).

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not knocking ND's schedule

Nov 1, 2017, 9:30 AM

I think we if we both win out Clemson will move ahead og ND after a win in the Conference Championship game.

Maybe not right now but...

Nov 1, 2017, 9:31 AM [ in reply to I don't think you can knock NDs schedule ]

ND played USC which usually starts in the top ten and finishes unranked. I expect USC will finish the season ranked somewhere around 25. Stanford has two losses and will lose one or both games in the next two weeks while playing teams from Washington.

We are a fixin to go to Raleigh and lay a beatdown on NCS giving them their third loss. So where is ND's SOS? ND's SOS is heading down to Georgia here in a week or two.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree-- don't see ND's SOS holding up in the end but would

Nov 1, 2017, 10:42 AM

be concerning if it does as would if OU wins out because their SOS will be rising

YOu could somewhat say the same about ours

Nov 1, 2017, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Maybe not right now but... ]

Our schedule was very much frontloaded.

Nobody is remembering the Louisville beatdown because they've fallen off the map. Louisville=USC
If we beat NCSU that win will be diminished because that will be their 3rd loss (that will hurt both of us equally) We would need them to go on and win out, but that also helps ND.
VT and Auburn will be a little better than Michigan St and Stanford, but their GA loss will be better than our Cuse loss.

We would get a championship game that would boost us a little. If its Miami, that helps both of us. If its VT...well I don't know how the committee would view us beating a team we've already whipped on their home field.

At the end of the season, the biggest difference between us and ND would be an ACC Championship Trophy.

ND doesn't have a conf championship game

Nov 1, 2017, 9:02 AM

IMO, end of discussion.

That should matter but it won't when talking about nd***

Nov 1, 2017, 9:06 AM

it'll matter the week when everybodys playing in champ games

Nov 1, 2017, 9:09 AM

and they are sitting at home.

That weekend will be tight sphincter time for the Irish.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Critical factor if SOS is fairly equal.

Nov 1, 2017, 9:15 AM

A glance revealed that you ignored a common opponent, NCS. ND got NCS at home, South Bend. We get them on the road. If the committee is breathing and has a heartbeat they will compare the common opponent and weigh that into their final rankings between ND and Clemson.

If ND's and Clemson's SOS turn out similar in the final rankings that may be the deciding factor. Imo, our SOS will be much stronger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2017, 9:38 AM

I guess it really doesn't matter unless ND winds up 4th and we wind up 5th! If we wind up 4th, like we are now, we will just play the championship game first and play the semi-final game second!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2017, 10:11 AM

Personally, I’m looking forward to both Miami and Stanford beating them on the road! I’m so sick of arguing with pompous ND fans about their “independent culture”, our loss to Syracuse and any / all entanglements that go along with their decision not to join a conference until 2025 (at the earliest). The only independents in the top 100 are these douchebags, Army and I believe BYU. Maybe, just maybe one day, the Irish will understand before December that playing in a conference championship game is not “just another game”.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic