Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NBCSN has Cricket on now. Who understands the rules?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

NBCSN has Cricket on now. Who understands the rules?

Dec 24, 2016, 1:10 PM

It draws huge crowds but what is the object of the game?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NBCSN has Cricket on now. Who understands the rules?

Dec 24, 2016, 1:35 PM

I watched it this summer and sort of grasped it a little. Fun game. Google it. There are a couple of Youtube videos out there that help clarify it a bit.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2016, 1:37 PM

I watch it occasionally. Did watch a fair bit during the last World Cup. To answer your question: To score more runs than your opponent. :)

Some matches last for days. Most people who attend the game do not watch it. They're smashed. It's like the KY Derby.

The better ones to watch are the fixed overs (i.e.: 50 overs). You get 6 pitches per over to do whatever you can with. Your inning ends when the overs are complete or you get 10 outs. Then the other team bats and tries to outscore you with the same 50 overs/10 outs. If they do, they win; otherwise team A wins. Outs can be had a few ways but the most common are the "pitches" striking the wicket or a batted ball being caught in the air.

Balls hit over the "fence" are worth 6 runs. Balls rolling out to the "fence" and touching it are worth 4. Anything else, you can choose to run or stay put. Some balls you can get 2 runs and others just 1, depending on where it goes. Both batters have to run and need to cross the line for the run to count. If the ball gets thrown back in and touches the wicket before the batter crosses the line, he's out.

There's lots of other rules, but that's a primer I can give.

Laughable

Dec 24, 2016, 2:28 PM

effort to explain the unexplainable, in a very short post. Sort of like "Define the universe and give three examples."

Dec 24, 2016, 1:40 PM

i understand it a little. the first thing to know is that there are normally only two innings, by which I mean each side only bats once. Everybody bats. There are no foul balls, so you'll see batters hit stuff that winds up behind them and that the other side still has to deal with, and there are players back there for that purpose. If the bowler hits a wicket with the ball, the batter is out. If the batter hits something that is caught, he's out. And if he gets caught while he and his partner are running between the two wickets, by having the ball thrown at the wicket, and hitting it, he's out. And that's apparently the other weird thing. The way runs are scored is that there are two runners who run between the wickets. Each time they're able to run to the opposing wicket in tandem, they score a run. If a batter hits a ball that goes past the endline, it scores six points. If the ball hits the ground and then goes over the endline, it scores four. So far, that's all I was able to figure out from watching the match that was on the other day.

Dec 24, 2016, 1:43 PM

That's pretty much it. Played it when I was stationed in England for 6 years. Loved playing it, hate watching it. The test matches go on too long. We played matches with only 22 overs. The local British clubs hated playing our base team as we were all the baseball team members and we cranked it. LOL Course, that was like 25+ years ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Something about a sticky wicket.***

Dec 24, 2016, 2:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

No American

Dec 24, 2016, 2:26 PM

can understand the rules, so don't try. That will be your best route on this. The games can last up to two weeks, is one thing I heard once.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic