Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NBA D-League in SC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,052

NBA D-League in SC?

May 4, 2015, 10:31 AM

Really hope SC can get the nod over the NC cities listed and host the Hornet's D-League team.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/hornets-sports-entertainment-announces-intent-launch-owned-and-operated-nba-d-league-team

Especially if it was in Greenville, I feel it could help bring talent and basketball exposure to a very poor basketball state.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greenville had one of the original D-League teams, the Groove.

May 4, 2015, 10:34 AM

The NBADL headquarters were even located in Greenville for one year before some big changes were made (the team left Greenville at the same time). Hopefully Greenville will get another chance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Was that the one that Danny Ford was involved in?***

May 4, 2015, 10:47 AM

The Groove won the league one year

May 4, 2015, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Greenville had one of the original D-League teams, the Groove. ]

Saddest thing was their "parade" in downtown. They came in on a bus and showed the trophy
I happened to be standing there. They got off the bus, about 6 people were there clapping and
several people said "who are those guys. what's going on?"

I thought the Groove was a women's team

May 4, 2015, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Greenville had one of the original D-League teams, the Groove. ]

that's how poorly they were advertised

Re: NBA D-League in SC?

May 4, 2015, 11:27 AM

I thought there was a team in Charleston already....North Charleston Low Gators or something crazy..

About 10 years ago...

May 4, 2015, 1:44 PM

Asheville, NC was the next closest, Columbus, GA, Fayetteville, NC, Mobile, AL, Huntsville, AL & then Roanoke, VA were all part of the original NBDL.

Greenville, SC has a great arena that needs a tenant other than ECHL hockey, but the town truly sucks as a "SportsTown". The Groove failed here primarily because tightwad Carl Scheer (formerly of the Hornets) ran the show & they didn't even have a marketing department to promote the team or league. The local TV & newspaper don't even cover the BOB-NETS & just this year, Charter Cable didn't blackout their games.

The Hornets needs to stay in NC around the Triangle or Winston-Salem---Greenville & Columbia are a no go. I am all for the concept of 1 team & 1 NBDL minor league for the left over teams. I see maybe Birmingham for the Hawks, Jacksonville for Orlando, Tampa for Miami & Nashville for Memphis. All said, this may be the best solution to the "1 and done" rule for the 19 year olds who make bad decisions & try to go pro.

Re: About 10 years ago...

May 4, 2015, 2:22 PM

The pee dee needs something like this.

Charleston Lowgators.

May 4, 2015, 2:29 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they something like that? I guess they didn't have enough fan interest to keep them alive.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,052
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic