Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The SEC has won the last SIX NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,055

The SEC has won the last SIX NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

Jan 3, 2013, 4:45 PM

Have you wondered why? Let's take a look at the last six as well as all the national champions from the last few decades. This might be long.

2011 Alabama (12-1). It's not hard to remember this one. Alabama was given a re-match against LSU, and Oklahoma State was left out despite only one loss.

2010 Auburn (14-0) Some might dispute this but nothing was proven so I'll give them credit.

2009 Alabama (14-0) Nothing to dispute

2008 Florida (13-1) Even though Texas had only one loss and Utah was undefeated- Florida gets a matchup in the title game.

2007 LSU (12-2) LSU lost to #18 Kentucky and unranked Arkansas, and got to play #1 Ohio State. USC, who lost to #5 Oregon and an unranked Stanford team, did not get a chance.

2006 Florida (13-1) Using last year's logic- Michigan would have had a rematch with Ohio State. Boise State was also undefeated but Florida made it to the final game.

2005 Texas (13-0)

2004 USC (11-0)

2003 LSU (13-1) At the end of the season three teams had one loss. Oklahoma, USC, and LSU. USC's only loss was a 3OT loss to Cal but was left out.

2002 Ohio State (12-0)
2001 Miami (14-0)
2000 Oklahoma (13-0)

In the span from 2000-2011 five teams won the NC with one or more losses. All of them from the SEC. Five out of the SEC's total of seven. Does this mean the SEC isn't the best conference- not necessarily. They've still faired much better in BCS games, but here is another point someone else made about the SEC:

The SEC is gifted 3 of the top 5 preseason ranks year after year. When you have those early rankings, the conference will automatically have a team in the National Championship. If an SEC team loses to another SEC team, it doesn't hurt their ranking because they lost to a good ranking SEC team. That team that lost the other game goes on to beat another SEC team, well that other SEC team lost to a high ranking team, most likely the highest ranked 1 loss team, so this other SEC team that just lost barely drops in the rankings. It's an endless cycle each year and ESPN and their multi billion dollar contract with the SEC is partially to blame for it.

I'm not saying the SEC sucks or even that any other conference is better, but the other conferences are more equal than people give them credit for. The SEC is barely over .500 in regular season non-conference games over the past 10 years.

With that being said, none of this is relevant to our program as long as we lose to SCAR and other teams. I would just hate to be one win away and get shafted like some of these other teams have in the past.

Message was edited by: treeclimber®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent - well said.

Jan 3, 2013, 4:58 PM

The SEC is good, and probably has been the best conference for a long time (most years). But, it's not always true, and when it is, the difference is not always that great.

Bottom line - the SEC is good, but benefits tremendously from the ESPN non-stop drum beat, and is generally over-rated and nauseatingly over-hyped.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The SEC has won the last SIX NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

Jan 3, 2013, 5:03 PM

So your saying that the third or fourth choice team from each of those years didn't go in and win the NC game? Maybe you just proved the reason that each of those teams was selected over the other choices. Even with one or two losses the SEC team is still better than the others! After all that is the point of the BCS....To match the two best teams in the NC game. After all Northern Illinois is 12-1....are they better than Clemson? No!

Re: The SEC has won the last SIX NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

Jan 3, 2013, 5:33 PM

My point is: many of those SEC teams might not have won if other teams had gotten the opportunity they deserved. I'm not sure how Northern Illinois fits into this argument- they already lost one game going into the BCS. I'm talking about one loss teams like USC who went on to win convincingly in non championship bowl games. Even Utah who was undefeated but did not deserve to play Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. You don't think Oklahoma St would have had a chance against Alabama or LSU last season?

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

Jan 3, 2013, 5:30 PM

Ready for the ACC to take charge.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,055
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic