Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Got attempted phone scammed yesterday evening by a guy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 512

Got attempted phone scammed yesterday evening by a guy

Mar 10, 2017, 9:00 AM

claiming to be a Lt. with Sheriff's dept.
Said I had missed jury duty and was charged with failure to appear and contempt of court.

I was suspicious pretty much right away. The guy sounded plausible, but I figured they would send a letter for that, not call.

Anyway, he was giving me case #s, address of the sheriff's dept (legit), date of the jury summons I supposedly missed, and etc and kept telling me to write everything down. By this time I was 99% sure this was BS but wanted to see what exactly he was going to try to get me to do.

Anyway about that time my wife came home and she was listening to my end of the call and looked at what I had written down and she starts saying 'this is ########! this is a scam! hang up now!' and I'm like be cool I just want to see where he is going but she was all fired up. 'I saw it on the news! HANG UP!'

So the guy finally starts in with 'there are two ways we can resolve this...' and at this point I said that I was interested in resolving this issue but that if he wanted me to pay him now over the phone I was not going to do that.

About that time our phone call was mysteriously disconnected.

I tried calling the # back a couple of times but no answer, so I reported info to actual Sheriff's dept.

So, if you have missed jury duty and would like to settle the matter, please contact
Lt David Williams
864-810-1812

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

My wife...

Mar 10, 2017, 9:03 AM

WAAAAAAATTTTTT!!!! Miseed jury duty. You need to be paid right now? Access to our bank accounts? SSN to make sure our identities are verified? Noods of me? ok here is everything!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did something like this with a free trip to Jamaica

Mar 10, 2017, 9:04 AM

Just sat there ######## with the guy for an hour.

Occupation? FBI: Fraud Division *guy hangs up*

Call back: Me: Why did you hang up on me? Him: "Sir this is no joke." Me: I'm not joking *guy hangs up*

Go back and forth like this. Finally the guy cusses me out and starts ignoring my calls.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Got attempted phone scammed yesterday evening by a guy

Mar 10, 2017, 9:16 AM

I got a call from a Mexican saying I had won third place in the PC sweepstakes and I had won $800k plus my choice of, get this, 4 cars, a Lincoln, a Range Rover, a Mercedes and a Ford Focus. I told him I choose the Focus LOL. I then told him I didn't think PC would be sending 4 Mexicans to my house telling me I had won 3rd place. Btw all they wanted was a $500 delivery fee or something to that effect. LOL

So....how does the Focus drive?***

Mar 10, 2017, 9:18 AM

#ACCFTS

Pro tip - you miss jury duty

Mar 10, 2017, 9:19 AM

they send a road officer to pick you up that day.

At least for 7th Circuit Court - two guys got hauled in right before lunch last time I was called.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Sometimes the judge's secretary will call you.

Mar 10, 2017, 9:45 AM

My wife had it once and she went to the address they gave her, got there and they told her they didn't have anything that day so she went home. The judge (who happens to be a good friend of ours) had his secretary call her and ask why she wasn't there. She tells her the story and it was all good. He's the kind of guy that likes to joke and tell people he'll give them jury duty and then looks at my wife and says "but hell she won't even show up!"

Buddy O mine's wife got that same call a few months ago

Mar 10, 2017, 9:24 AM

Friday afternoon, bunch of us are happy houring. Buddy gets a call from frantic wife, is all like calm down say what now?

Hangs up, he's like DUDE I GOTTA GO MAN SOMETHING IS UP and he leaves. We're all like dayum this can't be good.

He shows up 30 minutes later and we all proceed to laugh our ##### off. Dude on phone had wife whipped up into a femeltdown like no other.

this happened to SheGUAR's co-worker while at work

Mar 10, 2017, 9:34 AM

she was crying in her office...it took other sane & practical people to explain that it was a scam....even that took a while

Got attempted in person scammed

Mar 10, 2017, 9:32 AM

After our engagement photos a few months back, Red and I were about to get back into our cars and head to the bar. Lady comes up to me and flags me down. I roll my window halfway down and ask whats up. She says her father died that morning. He was a pastor. She has a deep passion for Christ. She has no money and just wants a ride downtown. I tell her I can't help her because I am an #######.

Not two months later, the same woman flags me down. Tells me her father died that morning. He was a pastor. I let her go on her spiel. When she finished, I told her that I ran into her a few months ago and that you had said the exact same line to me then as she just had. I followed that up by asking her if her father died then, or if he died this morning. She responded with, "he died both days". I politely told her to stop using Christianity in an attempt to con people our of their hard earned money.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I bet she's never received a government check ever***

Mar 10, 2017, 9:34 AM

You do know that in that instance it's perfectly legal to

Mar 10, 2017, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Got attempted in person scammed ]

beat the crap out of her? Well probably not for you to do it since you're a ladyboi and all and you'd probably get yourass whipped.

You've got about a 50% chance of this happening if you even

Mar 10, 2017, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Got attempted in person scammed ]

so much as stop in Columbia for gas. What a ########.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I run into this kind of thing all the time.

Mar 10, 2017, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Got attempted in person scammed ]

I generally find that if you pull out your concealed weapon and place the barrel directly between the beggar's eyes, they end up giving YOU money. Weird, but it works almost every time.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had the exact same call about a month ago. Seeing as how

Mar 10, 2017, 9:47 AM

I work downtown and only a few blocks from the sheriff's office, I offered to come over to his office and resolve the issue. He backpedals saying that I don't have to come down to his office...blah, blah, blah. I then went all Roy D. Mercer on him...."how bout I come down to yer office and whoop yer a$$...how big a fella are ya?" He hung up.

Well by gawd***

Mar 10, 2017, 10:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

threads like these are great for

Mar 10, 2017, 10:11 AM

Identifying the over 60 crowd.

which is why Mr OSF only answers recognized numbers,

Mar 10, 2017, 10:40 AM

and never updates his ipad unless checking with me first.

Now though they are leaving voice mail, he got one about a case number concerning his daughter and a possible warrant being signed.
His reaction was, well its her life.

Not two days later I got the same message on my phone but about my 2nd ex husband that I've been divorced from for 20 yrs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sign him up on the hiya app

Mar 10, 2017, 10:46 AM

since I've been using it, I get basically zero nuisance calls. Works great.

https://hiya.com/

Replies: 18
| visibility 512
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic