Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on the Chris Kyle thread (for the little it's worth)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

My take on the Chris Kyle thread (for the little it's worth)

Jan 21, 2015, 7:28 PM

First off, in his duty as an American soldier Chris Kyle was a hero. Period, no question, no debate, no discussion of the politics of the war he was involved in, he was a military hero. His government gave him an assignment and he carried it out to the full extent of his abilities.

Now, I do take issue with Chris Kyle, AMERICAN SNIPER. Again, he was a hero, but is he any more of a hero than anyone else who put their lives on the line for their country? Was he any more of a hero than Joe Schmo who died in an IED explosion his second week in country. Personally, I don't think so.

Chris Kyle was a great sniper, but he was also an excellent self promoter. I have a good friend who was an Army Ranger. He was one of the first group of soldiers sent to Afghanistan after 9/11 because he was excellent at finding and killing people. However, the thing with my friend is that he won't talk about his "confirmed kills". He just says he did the job his government asked him to do, no different than any other soldier. I will say that my friend is probably wired very similar to Chris Kyle. He sees the world as black and white, good guys and bad guys, and his job was to kill bad guys. My buddy finished his service as an Army Ranger and then spent a few years working for Blackwater in Iraq. My buddy is never going to write a book about what he did because he saw it as his duty.

Chris Kyle did his job as a soldier, but then turned into Chris Kyle, the symbol of all that is good, and right, and masculine, and the narrative from that part of the story was completely written by Chris Kyle. Clint Eastwood had some tough choices to make, because there are several parts of American Sniper the book that have been discredited as either gross exaggerations or out and out falsehoods (yes, I've seen the movie and I've read the book). Eastwood took the easy way out and just ignored those parts of Chris Kyle. Hollywood wanted an infallible hero and he gave Hollywood and infallible hero, not the awesome sniper who was also no more infallible than any of us in his day to day life.

So anyway, I'll celebrate Chris Kyle the soldier as a hero, but it stops there. Again, this is just my personal opinion on the matter.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A thank you to your friend! ********

Jan 21, 2015, 7:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The funny thing about my friend

Jan 21, 2015, 8:11 PM

Is he gets really uncomfortable when people thank him for his service, but again, that' just how he's wired. Honestly, he doesn't like to talk about it much. He's in the FBI now.

This is a good book about those 1st guys in

Jan 21, 2015, 8:18 PM

after 911. If your friend isn't in it I'm sure he went through similar things if you want to get an idea.

Written by a journalist I felt like it tried to tell the story without an agenda other than showing respect for those guys.
http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Soldiers-Extraordinary-Victory-Afghanistan/dp/1416580522

My dad was the same way about Korea. Almost no one outside of the family knew he was even there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

My wife's grandfather was awarded the bronze star in Korea

Jan 21, 2015, 8:20 PM

Unfortunately, because of his brave actions he spent 3 years as a POW, mostly being tortured in China. I never met him (he died in a sky diving accident) but apparently he was a pretty tough character.

I completely understand that rationale.

Jan 22, 2015, 8:38 AM [ in reply to This is a good book about those 1st guys in ]

I don't like to talk about my time flying Apache Tomcats during the war.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HTML War of 1812?***

Jan 22, 2015, 8:41 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a veteran of many campaigns by virtue of my volunteer

Jan 22, 2015, 8:51 AM

service in the Kiss Army.

But I don't like to talk about it.

I was once a No-Limit Soldier and I love to talk about it.

Jan 22, 2015, 8:55 AM

We Made Em Say UUUUUNNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHHH, but I really miss My Homies. We Kept our Eyes on Our Enemies and searched out the Weed & Money. We rode around in Bourbons and Lacs cause Gangstas Need Love. Now Come Get Some and Pass Me Da Green.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they call me

Jan 22, 2015, 2:00 PM [ in reply to I am a veteran of many campaigns by virtue of my volunteer ]

Dr.Love

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every combat unit needs a medic.***

Jan 22, 2015, 2:07 PM

Well that really sucks

Jan 22, 2015, 8:57 AM [ in reply to The funny thing about my friend ]

that he is in the FBI. I now have to rethink running my criminal empire. What is the point of riding around in the Bentley if a bullet comes out of nowhere and blows my head off?

Ok I read your Kyle take and understand....soooooo

Jan 21, 2015, 9:56 PM

What do you think about Obama bragging during SOU that he won twice?

Pretty ####### arrogant and un-Presidential if you ask me...

Well, I mean, he did win twice. Sounds like you got a case

Jan 22, 2015, 5:38 AM

of sour grapes.

Re: #twotermz***

Jan 22, 2015, 8:36 AM

Agree with your take...in fact,

Jan 21, 2015, 10:14 PM

I would say Chris Kyle couldn't carry Carlos Hathcock's jock strap.

If you want to read a little about Carlos, mash here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kyle himsef said

Jan 22, 2015, 7:21 AM

he thought that Carlos was the best sniper that has ever lived because he was the best at stalking and getting into areas taking a shot and then getting out. By himself.

And really what kind of behavoir does everyone expect from a large cowboy Texan face-shooter? I mean its not like he was a Gpublic affairs officer or something. I personally have talked about wasting hajis with many of my bros many times.

Re: I have a uncle that is a retired Navy SEAL

Jan 22, 2015, 8:34 AM

he spent 20 yrs in the service. I can't tell you a single thing he has done in the military but he is a very personable guy. Easy to like, gets along with everyone he meets. Leads a very disciplined life and excels at everything he does. But he hasn't said one word about what he did when he was in the military.

I saw the movie as well and honestly the only part that I liked was the support our country showed CK at the very end of the movie. The rest of the movie, I just took it as a Hollywood action drama.

I know a Clemson man that flew one of these in Viet Nam

Jan 22, 2015, 9:18 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP55UHP99LA

One day at base they heard about a transport helicopter that was shot down behind enemy lines. The report was they were still alive and still taking on enemy fire. They listened over the radio as everyone contributed to a way to evacuate the crew before the vc killed them. All rescue plans/attempts would leave the rescuers as sitting ducks.

The tiger grad had heard enough, grabbed his gunner and took off in an attempt to rescue that crew. They took on constant fire as they approached and began their rescue attempt. They found the crew alive, I think it was 7 or 8 Americans. My friends helicopter was not designed to be used to transport anything. Yet they loaded it up to evacuate. The downed helicopters captain was aware of its weight capabilities and volunteered to stay behind to ensure a better chance for his crew members and the rescue team to make it out.
He requested they leave while they can and come back later if you can but get my men out of here!

The Clemson pilot would not leave the other captain behind, and convinced him to get on board. The helicopter bounced several times as it struggled to lift off. It far exceeded the recommended capacity. Finally it made it up and the gun fire got heavier.

They made it back and all survived.

My only response is a question....

Jan 22, 2015, 9:23 AM

If you're going into a battle, in a war, with people shooting at you, would you rather be surrounded by your fellow soldiers who are "hate-filled killers", or soldiers like the guy who wrote that article?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don't get the motivation to scrutinize him

Jan 22, 2015, 11:26 AM

We know what he did in battle, and it was a great service to our country and to the men around him. That makes him a war hero, warts and all. But I think some people don't care for the bravado, or for a soldier who relishes their job- killing the enemy.

I also don't really have a problem with a soldier talking about what they did in the war. Sometimes the stories are interesting, and sometimes the stories are superlative, as they are in Kyle's case. I also think there's probably a difference in a sniper's confirmed kills and the confirmed kills of other soldiers. Since the sniper's job performance is more directly measured in confirmed kills, knowing how many you've got tells you something about how good a sniper you are. Fighter pilots have always done something similar. And the story of an exceptional soldier can be a good recruiting tool, a good example to other soldiers, and a boon to patriotism. So while some people don't want to talk about what they did in war, I don't have a problem with others talking about it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He wrote the book

Jan 22, 2015, 1:54 PM

He made the money. He gets the scrutiny that comes with it. I have no problem with him enjoying killing. However that wasn't the story he sold. There seems to be a disconnect between the haunted sniper in the book and movie, and the man Chris Kyle.

He had a business to run and develop.

Jan 22, 2015, 1:58 PM

Kyle made his money from opening and operating Craft International, a strategic defense company geared toward police units and protection employees.

I'd consider most of it marketing.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be scrutinized at all

Jan 22, 2015, 3:04 PM [ in reply to He wrote the book ]

But I do think that a lot of the scrutiny his life is facing now is ideologically driven. In the age of the internet and 24 hour news, almost nobody's life is going to look perfect when enough people are committed to finding fault in it. Kyle obviously didn't help himself by either making up or embellishing a couple of stories after he returned home.

The quotes that people are using to suggest Kyle "enjoyed killing" come from the same book where, apparently, he was "haunted." I haven't read the book or watched the movie, so I don't know if that characterization is correct. But I don't see why somebody couldn't be "haunted," in some ways, while not showing it very often outwardly and while saying he enjoyed killing enemies. It might be that he was "haunted" by returning to civilian life, where purpose is a little tougher to find and camaraderie is much thinner and more rare. At any rate, it's kind of hard to understand where the personal criticisms of him are coming from (apart from the criticism of his alleged fibs).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on man, "alleged fibs"

Jan 22, 2015, 5:03 PM

He lost a 1.84 million dollar law suit to Jessie Ventura. So at least that one "fib" seems to have been substantiated in a court of law.

Like I said, Chris Kyle the soldier was a hero. Chris Kyle, AMERICAN SNIPER, paragon of all that is good and right is a made up character. Chris Kyle sold himself as something more than what he was. That's my main issue with both the book and the movie.

You like to read Cam, how much credence to you put in Autobiographies? I find them interesting, but not a solid source for material.

Agreed on autobiographies

Jan 22, 2015, 5:14 PM

Without reading the Kyle book, I don't want to say too much about it. I do know that some of the stuff he said about himself is controversial enough that it doesn't sound like he tried to make himself out to be "paragon of all that is good and right." If there's material in there that would make some people call him a psychopathic killer racist, then he probably wasn't mincing too many words.

As for the whole Ventura thing, I know that there were witnesses who corroborated Kyle's story, but their testimony was disregarded because everybody there was drunk at the time. Apparently SEAL funerals are known for the boozing. The suit also wasn't filed for a long time after the punch did or didn't happen. The other stuff he said he did but probably didn't do make it seem more likely that the whole Ventura thing didn't happen how he said it did either.

Your 2nd to last sentence may be why some don't talk...

Jan 22, 2015, 2:57 PM [ in reply to I just don't get the motivation to scrutinize him ]

they don't want what they did being used as propaganda. I understand that rationale just as I understand the rationale for supporting the bravado. (Tillman vs Kyle are examples here)

Most of the criticisms I've read about AMERICAN SNIPER concerns the telling of the story. They're criticisms of the movie, not of Kyle (Michael Moore as the exception). It's an important distinction that not everyone can differentiate. Take Seth Rogan's tweet about comparing the movie to the Nazi Propaganda film in Inglourious Basterds, which was seen by many as an attack on Kyle when it clearly wasn't. Rogan's been personally attacked for making a tongue-in-cheek observation about a movie, not the real life man the movie is about.

As for the movie, does the movie show Kyle as a human being with his "warts and all?" I think that's where the concern is for some. I haven't seen the movie (today or tomorrow), but I understand the need to portray him as accurately as possible. Movies like The Equalizer and John Wick are popular because they are wish fulfillment movies, their heroes are unstoppable forces of bad-assery that people wish existed(equalizer takes it too far). But they aren't real. Kyle was real. How accurately does SNIPER portray that realness? That's open for criticism-both positive and good.

Yes, indeed...

Jan 22, 2015, 3:39 PM

and I haven't seen the movie either, but reviews I've read have ranged from calling Sniper a "Rorschach test" to calling it "propaganda." My question is whether some of the people calling it propaganda aren't doing so because it doesn't promote their own point of view. Sometimes what's factual does influence people towards certain points of view, but that doesn't make it propaganda. But the upshot of calling anything that might make people want to serve or might make people feel more patriotic "propaganda" is that everything to do with war always has to include anti- war propaganda.

Remember, "propaganda" isn't just possibly misleading information intended to promote whatever a state is doing, it's any biased information intended to support a political cause or agenda. People are going to be more likely to perceive something as propaganda based on what their viewpoints already are, and this is why I'm not surprised that people like Rogen immediately associate Sniper with propaganda. If you already viewed the War on Terror as illegitimate, then you're far more likely to see any positive portrayal of someone who was unapologetically part of that war as propaganda. Or, as some have written, you're likely to see that person as a psychopathic killer of brown people.

If the movie had spent more time trying to accentuate negative things about Kyle, would that have made it any more real? If the movie had simply transcribed Kyle's book onto the screen, would that have made it more real? If the movie had been based on independent research- which already implies that we can't trust Kyle- would that have made it more real? Would the movie have been truer if it portrayed Iraqis as nicer and American soldiers as more brutal?

The problem is that all of the choices Eastwood had to make in his portrayal of Kyle could lend themselves to propagandistic interpretations of the material, either by people who would've liked to see a more positive portrayal of Kyle or by people would've liked to see a more negative portrayal of him. But we can't simply decide that something's propaganda when the story doesn't fit our expectations.

I agree and it does go both ways

Jan 22, 2015, 4:05 PM

if you carry an extreme anti-war viewpoint then anything but a full-on critique of war would probably be seen as propagandist, whereas a person who is idolatrous of war and America's role would see any slight criticism as anti-war propaganda.

Where my view lies isn't so much in whether the film is propaganda or not, it's how accurate of a portrayal of a real person is shown in the movie? That person can still be a caricature or almost completely fictional(braveheart) person, but he needs to feel real. That's why I included movies like The equalizer and John Wick, as a comparison. Those films aren't trying to convey "real" people as much as a wish fulfillment. Whereas a movie like "The Insider" (first one that came to mind)is trying to convey a real guy and situation that has complexity. The impact of story is directly tied to how real the protagonist feels. Liberties will be taken with the "true story" part, but the emotional reality of the movie is what tends to matter for an audience. So on one end you have wish fulfillment movies like The Equalizer/John Wick and on the other you have "The Insider," where do movies like American Sniper and Selma fall on that spectrum.

Many have taken issue with Hurt Locker because of its many military inaccuracies, but was that the point of the movie? Was the movie trying to be accurate or was it trying to tell a story? And does the fact it wasn't based on a true story affect its purpose? Can American Sniper be viewed the same way? Is it trying to tell a story of a man or use that man's journey to tell a larger story about war and what it is? These are the questions I would have with the movie.

On a related topic (sorta) How would you view a movie like Kingdom of Heaven or Braveheart where the history of the movie is simply a backdrop for the hero's journey? I've seen some say that Kingdom of Heaven is a anti-religious movie which is akin to saying it's a propaganda film.

Re: I agree and it does go both ways

Jan 22, 2015, 5:07 PM

I guess I would just say that it's very hard to portray a true story interestingly on film without making a few artistic choices that are going to leave you vulnerable to the charge of making propaganda, especially when it's about war. In the case of movies like Kingdom or Hurt Locker, the war itself is only a context for the action of the protagonist, as you said. And in both cases, the actual campaign- The Crusade or OIF- matters less than the smaller, personal drama. That's especially the case in Hurt Locker, where the story of a soldier feeling exhilarated by war and bored at home could've been told about any ongoing war. The movie isn't a commentary on that war, it's a commentary on one kind of experience of war. And, really, it's a commentary on civilian life in contrast to war, as well. It's allegorical without being propagandistic because it leaves us to decide for ourselves what we think about the fact that war is "a force that gives us meaning" (a quote from Chris Hedges that was used in Hurt Locker, which Hedges criticized as not being sufficiently anti- war), and it says little about the current conflict.

Kingdom is somewhat different because what marks the protagonist as the protagonist is his difference from the other Crusaders. They're stereotypically either religious fanatics or bandits eager to exploit the religious fervor of those around them. Those leading the Crusades are cynical and manipulative. But that's pretty run of the mill, really, so it's hard to blame Scott for doing things that way. His film would've been far more controversial if he'd portrayed the Crusaders more positively. So there's some commentary on the mission itself implied in the delineation of Bloom's protagonist from the others, even if Scott wasn't all that interested in being historically accurate. His lack of concern for historical accuracy tells us that the movie is more allegorical than documentary, so it's supposed to tell us something about humanity in general. But weaving a lot of modern concerns and modern conceptions of the Crusades into the history tells us that there is some propaganda for a certain view present.

I think Sniper probably is more like Hurt Locker than it is like Kingdom, because I don't think Eastwood is all that interested in commenting on OIF. I do think he wants us to understand that the people Kyle is blasting away are bad guys, but I also think he wants to portray Kyle as doing what he does for his comrades and his country less than he's doing what he's doing for "the cause." Another difference is that I don't think Eastwood is just trying to give us an allegory about how war gives our lives meaning, or about the evils of religious wars or something. I do think he was concerned with portraying Kyle's excellence on the battlefield because he thinks it's a story worth telling, and I do think he wants to tell us about what happened to Kyle when he came home because it's also compelling.

But the problem that I think some people have with what Eastwood did with the material is that his message about war isn't clear enough. This is the same reason people criticized Hurt Locker or Zero Dark Thirty. All of the movies show people successfully doing certain things that are controversial, and if you're of a certain mind, you want the movie to more obviously portray those things as questionable. What people don't seem to get is that Eastwood is more interested in portraying individual heroism, or the excellence of an individual soldier, than he is in saying anything about war, or this particular war. However, movie watchers clearly find what Eastwood did more interesting than some other war movies with clearer agendas.

Saw Sniper tonight and...

Jan 22, 2015, 10:19 PM

I don't understand the hate or love for the movie. There should be no controversy surrounding it. It's not really a propaganda film, nor is it an anti-war movie. There's not a ton of meat there either way.

It's a decent movie (I'd give it a lowish B) but it never hits any real high notes. I much prefer Hurt Locker to Sniper if only because LOCKER is actually trying to say something and explores ideas. SNIPER's really only concerned with telling the story of Kyle's life (albeit in snippets) so I end up not taking much away from the movie. The only intriguing selling point of SNIPER is that it is a true story, but how much was the truth and how much was exaggerated or artistically rendered? I don't know the answer to that and depending on the answer would sway some of my feelings for or against the movie.

There are cliches and heavy foreshadowing (seriously, never talk about buying an engagement ring on the way into battle...), but the biggest disappointment for me was the PTSD stuff that is touched on ever so slightly but never fully explored. Eastwood gets this close to opening it up for discussion when Kyle goes to see a psychologist at the VA hospital (after a dramatic explosion by Kyle) but Eastwood only uses the scene to set up Kyle helping other vets deal with injuries (noble and necessary for the plot) but that scene could have been sooo much more. It could have been the Oscar winning scene in a movie that doesn't really have one.

The war stuff really was just a sniper v sniper story which was gripping up until the end of it. I'm guessing that part was true (the end) because of how anticlimactic it was. Also, it seemed like there was some backstory to the enemy sniper that would have been interesting to tell (he too had a wife and daughter and was an Olympian) but he's just "the bad guy" in this story.

In the end, I felt SNIPER felt a bit scattershot. As they say in the movie, it needed to "aim smaller" and tighten up its groupings.

Still, I didn't hate it. It's a lowish "B", high "C" but I was never as involved in watching SNIPER as Hurt Locker. Hurt Locker had more poetry to it.

Entirely agree. It's just an above average movie.

Jan 23, 2015, 8:52 AM

Although I think Bradley Cooper did a way above average job. I sure don't see the controversy. FWIW, having read the book, he only mentions Mustafa twice and says he had nothing to do with him.

This thing we have about needing heroes to be perfect and then when we find that they are only human yet have done an heroic thing or two, is interesting. I think we all want to have and, be, heroes. We find someone to emulate and admire but someone pulls back the curtain and we see something that we don't like. Well surprise, for the most part, they're just like us.

Chris Kyle did things I could never do, starting with going through BUD/S training at age 30 and then all the other stuff. Turns out he also ran his mouth a bit apparently (allegedly?). So what? All the things they are trying to accuse him of, the racism, the fanaticism, just isn't true, not from the sources they are quoting. There's no doubt he had other flaws. But, like other people are saying he was a hero, and it turns out a flawed one, just like they all are. Just like JFK, Martin Luther King, Eisenhower, Reagan, Pee Wee Herman... you name it.

But yeah, just an above average movie.

YOU'VE GONE A STEP TOO FAR NOW, PAL.

Jan 23, 2015, 9:07 AM

NAME ONE FLAW WITH PEE WEE HERMAN. JUST NAME ONE.

too trusting of lady truck drivers.

Jan 23, 2015, 9:09 AM

ball = your court

Did you just disparage Large Marge?!?

Jan 23, 2015, 9:17 AM

It's obvious to me that you have zero spirituality, and that makes me sad.

Come on.

Jan 23, 2015, 9:11 AM [ in reply to YOU'VE GONE A STEP TOO FAR NOW, PAL. ]

Penguin's Father?

Too easy.

Wow. Are you EVER mistaken.

Jan 23, 2015, 9:21 AM

That was the actor Paul Reubens, NOT Pee Wee Herman.

Oh! MY mistake.

Jan 23, 2015, 9:23 AM

ALLEGEDLY.

Pee Wee Herman's shoe mirrors

Jan 23, 2015, 9:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTWlU5lTCUA

#ACCFTS

Well, that was when he was a hero.***

Jan 23, 2015, 9:33 AM

I'm now willing to overlook any previously perceived

Jan 23, 2015, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Pee Wee Herman's shoe mirrors ]

shortcomings.

wait, the sniper stuff with mustafa didn't even happen?

Jan 23, 2015, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Entirely agree. It's just an above average movie. ]

if that's the case, that's where the controversy should be (if you have to make the movie controversial, which I still think is a waste of everyone's time).

As underwhelming as the sniper versus sniper part of the movie ended up being, it was by far the most compelling thing in the movie. If it wasn't true, then I might have to drop my letter grade to a low "C" high "D." (my letter grades are very important too, everyone cares about them...)

According to
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/american-sniper/

He also was 24 when he joined the seals program, not 30. An odd change for the movie to make, (possible change because of cooper not looking 24?)

and I'm reminded in the beginning of the movie where kyle is bucked off a horse and his hand gets stepped on. I'm not sure it's ever brought up after and I wonder why it was shown?

Still, the biggest problem with the movie is that I'm not sure what the point of it was. Kyle was a hero, but was his story worth telling? (especially when you consider the story they chose to tell didn't even actually happen (mustafa). Focus more on the wife? Or the PTSD?

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic