Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My spread offense and great defense thread....and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 668

My spread offense and great defense thread....and

Dec 22, 2012, 7:20 AM

what I meant. The thread got bogged down in an argument as to whether I meant NOW or EVER. The spread has done it's job for some teams that were in a mismatch over the years. The speed took a great defense out of play. The defensive speed of the SEC seems to negate any advantage that the spread once had. My question was are their any teams now that run the spread have a truly great defense. It was a legit question in light of the SEC dominance in post season play. I just thought our focus should be on speed and trench players on defense as apposed to a Morris ( Clemson ) offense. That is NOT a Clemson offense no more than we play a Clemson defense and Dabo was DEAD wrong with that response. We played smash mouth football on both sides of the ball during the MOST successful run in our history. The SEC has gone back to that type of football and seems to be ahead of the curve. I problem is NOT the ACC...our problem is we followed the weaker teams that adopted the spread as a way to negate defenses. We had and still have the history and the ability to recruit those players and implement them into our program. We have the wrong OC to do it with and to sign him to a 6 year deal based on a fad offense was irresponsible at best. This is not a swipe at Morris....this is a fact IMO. I love the old smash mouth Danny Ford football teams and I want to go back to that. I don't want Danny back but someone who believes in those concepts. I posted this for honest opinions NOT to get slammed and called a coot or other names. Everyone of you know what I am saying and most would agree. We need to be proactive....not reactive.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a rather simple-minded person, so I try to keep my

Dec 22, 2012, 7:50 AM

thoughts somewhat elementary. It would seem that if you have a great spread offense and a superior defense, then the abilities of your defense will counteract the necessity for a hurry-up, speedy spread. I mean why the need to score 50, if your defense can limit your opponents to single or low digit teens? Thus, the way I see it, if we're going to continue with the spread, then we have no choice but to build our D quickly...or suffer our D strung out panting for breath in most of our games. I suppose, also, that football purists prefer great defensive battles, while a great many fans prefer the excitement generated by highly potent offenses. It's a Catch - 22 for the coaches, I would think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nonsense

Dec 22, 2012, 7:51 AM

Any offense can be successful with the right players and execution.

Also Urban Meyer has been running the spread forever and all he has done is go undefeated at Utah, win 2 NC's at UF and go undefeated at tOSU. Auburn also won the NC with a spread offense against another spread team (Oregon).

Oklahoma and Texas ran (and of course still do run)the spread under Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, and Jason White.

WVU won multiple BCS games running the spread including the sugar over UGA.

It goes on and on. Just because Alabama and LSU don't run it doesn't mean the spread is "weak" or that you can't win big with it. Also if you have been paying attention even Alabama has spread things out more in recent years.

Football is football a power, trap, iso, sweep etc. is the same regardless of where the QB and RB line up.

Re: Nonsense

Dec 22, 2012, 8:06 AM

This last time I checked, you still have to block in the spread offense. I personally like a combination of the spread offense and a great defense. Great defenses get the ball back to the offense more, thus allowing for more opportunities for the offense to put up 50 or more points. The game is still determined in the trenches regardless of which side of the ball you are on.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nonsense

Dec 22, 2012, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Nonsense ]

There is an amount of validity to your statement OSU did not play an SEC school. Urban's last days at Florida were not very successful. His offense was dominated by the SEC defenses in his last year. The coots beat them 36-14 at THEIR house, so that further validates my concerns. I think a part of the spread can be incorporated into an offense, I don't think it should BE your offense. It is a 2 minute drill on steroids. Texas has become a joke and Oklahoma has slipped in the last few years. WV ????? are you kidding me. That is NOT a good example. They are a poster child for my argument. These teams relied on an offense that is no longer the great success because it has run it's course. Oregon got taken to the woodshed by Stanford....the list goes on. I just think the "Morris" offense is fading with teams because it is no longer unique. It has become a part of the standard offense. We need to KNOW it and adapt once again instead of staying status quo.

He won 2 NCs in 4 years

Dec 22, 2012, 8:17 AM

I think he is allowed to have an off year after that.

It really is a terrible argument to try to negate multiple years of success with one bad loss.

I agree 100% - Spread offense has nothing to do with D.***

Dec 22, 2012, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Nonsense ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My spread offense and great defense thread....and

Dec 22, 2012, 8:09 AM

For the type of offensive football you desire, we do have the wrong OC, but for the type of offense that our HC wants to run, we have one of the best in the country, if not the best. The game is still played and won in the trenches as I mentioned in a post below.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My spread offense and great defense thread....and

Dec 22, 2012, 9:19 AM

I must say That I too, long for the great d we used to have. However I love what our offence has become and do not want to go back to the o of the last decade. This year with a good d we go 12 / o. With the help we have coming in the d should be much better next year. Thanks

Replies: 8
| visibility 668
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic