Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My biggest work from home complaint.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

My biggest work from home complaint.

Apr 15, 2020, 5:09 PM

I cannot print on my local home network printer whenever connected to VPN. The files I want to print are located on the office network.

So I must VPN in, copy the files I want to print to my computer, disconnect VPN, print documents, connect back to the VPN. Realize I needed to print something else, repeat.

Probably should move the printer closer and run a USB cable to the work laptop dock?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Same.

Apr 15, 2020, 5:24 PM

I'm on a Mac so don't have a true RDP. I have to use VMWare to access Office Exchange, shared drives, etc.

Anything I do locally has to get uploaded to a Box.com folder, and then downloaded on the virtual machine. Then uploaded back to whatever network drive it needs to be on.

The alternative is to use Shitrix, which allows local file access but times out and makes me login and 2FA every time I go to take a ####.

It's not ideal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah my issue is

Apr 15, 2020, 5:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

You mean like RDP'ing into another server?

Apr 15, 2020, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Same. ]

There is an RDP client you can D/L for a mac for that.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop-10/id1295203466?mt=12

Or do you mean logging into your Mac remotely? You can set that up on the Mac using Remote Login under system preferences.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you are excessively logging in your shitrix?***

Apr 16, 2020, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Same. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My biggest work from home complaint.

Apr 15, 2020, 7:02 PM

Print as pdf and email them to yourself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not following why you can't print on local...

Apr 15, 2020, 7:13 PM

printer when connected to VPN. I do it all the time.

Assume you use a different subnet for your home network vs your work/vpn connection, right?

Are you saying you are at home and connected to your VPN...you have a doc pulled up on your machine and you can't print that doc to a printer located on your home network?

Is the problem that you're routing all network traffic over the VPN? If so, most VPN clients have an option to disable "use default gateway on remote network" or something like that. Some IT dept's don't like the idea of split tunneling...personally, I allow it in our company...after working from home for so many years, I know how big of a pita it can be not to allow it.

If that isn't an option for you, you might be able to program in a static route on your computer.

main reason IT depts don't like it is

Apr 15, 2020, 10:22 PM

1) because infosec folks are control crazy
2) They don't want people surfing all over and d/ling bots, virii etc onto the company network without going through their web/malicious content filter (see also, #1).

At least that's why we block split tunneling.

#2 only makes sense if they don't let you....

Apr 16, 2020, 8:46 AM

connect to the internet from out-of-office, except through the VPN, which is tough to pull off.

They don't want people surfing while connected to the VPN.

Apr 16, 2020, 10:43 AM

And if they are surfing, they are being monitored/all incoming traffic is being scanned.

We've done it that way for years.

That;s whole point....if they insist on full tunnel...

Apr 16, 2020, 11:02 AM

all surfing goes over company network.

If split tunnel, external surfing doesn't go over company network. I don't see the point in trying to control user activity at home via vpn control, when all they have to do is disconnect from the VPN.

We control user surfing on company machines via the installed AV/Spamware client.

While they're working they aren't supposed to be surfing***

Apr 16, 2020, 11:03 AM

I would've expected you to know that any corporate IT

Apr 15, 2020, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Not following why you can't print on local... ]

department would completely block split tunneling and allowing a potential security breach of that magnitude...

It's an all or nothing when on VPN.

Also doesn't seem like a good idea to port forward and let my printer be accessed by anybody, haha.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any IT dept worth its salt would know how to....

Apr 16, 2020, 8:53 AM

force bridging to stay disabled (disabled by default) via group policy management.

The workstation would have to be logging into a domain

Apr 16, 2020, 10:45 AM

to enforce that.

Who would let a user use a VPN from a machine...

Apr 16, 2020, 11:25 AM

that isn't on the domain?

I do it

Apr 16, 2020, 11:57 AM

but I know the ways around it.

Why aren’t you paperless?

Apr 15, 2020, 7:48 PM

TREE KILLER.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Email to phone. Print***

Apr 15, 2020, 8:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Email to phone. Print***

Apr 15, 2020, 8:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 kids. Home schooling. Whole cottam family in the “office”

Apr 15, 2020, 9:32 PM

Laughing
Fighting
Nagging
Complaining
Mommmmmm!!!
Daddddddddd!!!

Running to the truck to have peace and quiet for a call. Lol

I got 99 problems, but a printer ain’t 1 of em. However, I have no problems printing locally when on the VPN.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't turn on split tunneling on your VPN?***

Apr 15, 2020, 10:19 PM

IT doesn't allow it it seems.

Apr 15, 2020, 10:36 PM

Which makes sense, my company does classified government work, so the whole company must comply for the 5% of the company that works on that.

Although, I do have some FOUO projects, but that's mostly because Cherry Point decided to put it on their border, so now it's all Controlled Unclassified Information, so it's on a secure server and crap.

Mine is not being able to go to happy hour at 4:00

Apr 15, 2020, 10:26 PM

at the bar down the street.

...you don't start happy hour around 11am with a beer

Apr 15, 2020, 10:34 PM

at your home office desk??

...yeah, I don't either...

I mean I have

Apr 16, 2020, 12:07 PM

But that was before quarantine

TU _ but if that’s your biggest complaint, you’re blessed

Apr 16, 2020, 8:19 AM

But any work computer, printer or IT issue sux and justifies profanity... even if only under your breath.

Sounds like you just need an XT-4 Modulator.***

Apr 16, 2020, 8:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no need in all the printing.***

Apr 16, 2020, 8:31 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am not sure that I have ever had a printer

Apr 16, 2020, 9:10 AM

that actually worked all the time. The one I have now, is a paperweight and its only about 2 years old. The wifi never works, using USB sends it into a fritz.

I want to throw it out the window. Or bash it Office Space style.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My 9 year old printer that was the same way got replaced

Apr 16, 2020, 9:17 AM

as soon as this became real. Needed a good 11x17 printer and scanner, so got a nice Brother printer, works great so far...but I swear they all have limited lifespans.

Re: My 9 year old printer that was the same way got replaced

Apr 16, 2020, 9:21 AM

Does it have bluetooth? I think that is my main mistake is not getting a bluetooth option. At least my IT Dept has eluded to that being much better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang, just checked and it doesn't. Looks like HP printers

Apr 16, 2020, 9:24 AM

have that feature.

hi five on the Brother 11x17

Apr 16, 2020, 10:49 AM [ in reply to My 9 year old printer that was the same way got replaced ]

even tho that lil betch told me the Magenta was empty when there seemed to be plenty left...good printer, otherwise, for the past 3-4 years tho

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah!

Apr 16, 2020, 10:51 AM

Went with the Brother MFC-J6945DW - thing is pretty great so far. Even got some photo paper and it does some good prints to finally fill out the random photo frames we've had but never used, lol.

Freaking staying at home means getting random #### done around the house.

Your gif is annoying...

Apr 16, 2020, 9:23 AM

Reminds me of my first color tv and makes my knee hurt.??

I have no idea how B-Meist broke it, but it has grown on me***

Apr 16, 2020, 9:25 AM

Like trying to watch scrambled adult programming.***

Apr 16, 2020, 9:31 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic