Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Uncle who made me a Tiger fan passed away last Friday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

My Uncle who made me a Tiger fan passed away last Friday

Oct 22, 2013, 10:36 PM

just wanted to put this on here because i know a lot of Tiger fans can relate. He was a '55 grad, a 40 year IPTAY member and took me to my first game in DV in '77 when i was 9 and it was the ND game with Joe Montana. I was raised in a ND household with my Pop being a life long ND fan. My Uncle was my mom's brother but him and my Pop were both Korean War vets and became best friends and sports fanatics together, pro and college. I wore ND stuff all through childhood and my first game was the '76 ND/Chickens game in Columbia, my hometown. I worshipped the gold helmets and the "they go to class and graduate and win titles, son" stuff from my Pop had me hooked until my Uncle took me and my Pop to Clemson for the ND game and it was a wrap. My Pop said to me a few weeks later, "i guess it's Fuller to Butler for you, huh?" and i told him "yep, it is". He reluctantly got me a number 99 Tiger jersey for Xmas that year and i wore it out, much to the delight of my Uncle who rubbed it into my Pop's face for years after that. We went to South Bend in '79 to see the win and I was glad to see my Uncle and my Pop together as brother's in law but more importantly my Uncle took my Pop to his first ND game in South Bend. My Pop turned to me during the 4th quarter and said, "Good God son, they play defense" when Clemson was stuffing the Irish on virtually every play. My Uncle made me a Tiger and made my Pop a closet Tiger. My Pop is buried in an ND sweater and hat and my Uncle went in the casket with a block "C" Danny style hat and an original Tiger Rag. When you are raised around men like that you thank them every day for exposing you the passion that comes with being a fan for life, no matter what changes in life come your way. RIP Uncle Doug, i'll be a Tiger til the day i die.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry about your Uncle. Great story.***

Oct 22, 2013, 10:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry for your loss - you were lucky to have an uncle like

Oct 22, 2013, 10:46 PM

that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Good story

Oct 22, 2013, 10:46 PM

Sorry about your Uncle.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Uncle who made me a Tiger fan passed away last Friday

Oct 22, 2013, 10:49 PM

Sorry about your Uncle but you were very lucky to have two men in your life with so much passion for a great sport! Now it's your turn to pass it on. Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Uncle who made me a Tiger fan passed away last Friday

Oct 22, 2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks for posting this and sorry about your Uncle.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry for your loss

Oct 22, 2013, 11:16 PM

Thanks for sharing your memories.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Sorry for your loss***

Oct 23, 2013, 12:30 AM

Wow...fantastic story about two special Men. GoTiGS & Go ND!

Oct 23, 2013, 1:00 AM

RIP Sir..and thanks for the football memories you left your nephew! GoTiGERS..bring the Turtle Shell back to Tigertown!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sound like your uncle and pop

Oct 23, 2013, 1:16 AM

are spectacular men, I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing the great story.

Awesome stuff. Great post, praying for your family.***

Oct 23, 2013, 1:25 AM

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic