Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Small town, Big Lesson for America. Good read:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 333

Small town, Big Lesson for America. Good read:

May 23, 2019, 11:20 AM

https://www.timesunion.com/opinion/article/Thomas-Friedman-Small-town-big-lesson-for-13851841.php

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's true for a lot of towns.

May 23, 2019, 11:41 AM

especially my home town. I'm really good friends with the facebook coach over there and he is always complaining about losing talent from year to year and the issues he faces.

What he doesn't get, because he doesn't live in town, is that town is dying. The town admin refuse to do anything but "spruce up" the town with stuff that makes no sense. There's no industry except for on manufacturing plant that has gone belly up multiple times in the last 30 years. Everybody who lives there is either retired, or work an hour away.

It's only a matter of time for a lot of these towns that refuse to adjust.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

The evidence is obvious but the conclusion isn't quite...

May 23, 2019, 12:37 PM

accurate. Not every old white persons wants to end immigration. In fact, I'm an old white type person who knows no others any age who want to return this nation to whiteness. What most American want is assimilation of legal immigrants. Going to work is one of the most important factors along with being functionally able to handle our language.

Those claims the author made that we want to roll back times when most small towns were all white may be valid in some ways but claims that 'all white,' is the reason is just political bullchit lie. It'as about having family like we use to have. Friends we grew up with and lives which were simpler and more predictable. It's not because the country is starting to look different it's because life is different.

It happens to every generation. It will happen to most of you younger folks before you give death the 'in your face,' look too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might be a long time for that kind of understanding

May 23, 2019, 12:56 PM

to take down here in LA(Lower Alabama), the anti-immigrant hate is skrongrig. ####, I was at a soccer match this spring, we were playing a suburb Christian school. Half time with us up 5-0, one of the moms from the other team asks me, "Where'd y'all get all them African kids? Looks like they're takin' over your team." I was a bit dumbfounded that I'd been asked the question for a couple reasons 1)if you've ever been part of a soccer community, you know it's about as ethnically colorful as a rainbow and 2)at the time, standing next to us was the manager of my kid's soccer club who happens to be from Zimbabwe. How overtly racist or dumb do you have to be to ask a question like that?

I asked her if that was a serious question. Manager just laughed a bit as we walked away.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

African is still better than "colored"

May 23, 2019, 12:57 PM

which is still used some in my town.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

This is true. Four of the kids on LilSlac's team this year

May 23, 2019, 1:19 PM

tho were actual Africans,noticeably so by their accents. There is a refugee education center here in town run by Catholic services; three of the kids were Sudanese, I think the other was from Ethiopia. Anyway, her comment was made out of frustration because we were draggin' her kids team up and down the pitch just wearin'em out and she was one of those yellin' alot at her kid during the match kinda moms.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 333
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic