Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe I don't understand "trap game"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Maybe I don't understand "trap game"

Sep 17, 2013, 9:38 AM

I think of a trap game as being one that we play on Saturday, then go on the road for a Thursday night game against a pretty good opponent. We did not play on Saturday, so I do not consider this game a 'trap game'. It's just a road game that we have had plenty of time to prepare for, and will roll as expected. Just a bump in the road IMO.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A "trap" game is usually a lesser opponent the week after

Sep 17, 2013, 9:41 AM

a big game. This year's "trap" game would be at Maryland. Some folks refer to a "trap" game as any lesser opponent on the road in a prime time contest .. i.e. Thurs nite b/c the crowd and emotions will spur on the home team.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed

Sep 17, 2013, 9:47 AM

MD is this years trap game...trap game usually applies when you've gone in against a big team (and won usually...i.e. Fl state in this case), then could go in big headed against a team the next week playing sleeper.

Trick is IMO, not all trap games are always based on a big game...NC State was Fl State's last year...the consecutive high point trashings they did the first few weeks is what made that game a trap game for them...they went in thinking they'd do the same on the Wolfpack...and well....

I think of a trap game

Sep 17, 2013, 9:55 AM [ in reply to A "trap" game is usually a lesser opponent the week after ]

As a mediocre (not terrible, not very good, but a team you should beat) game either right before or right after a big game. Either your team's focus is on the big game the next week, or your team isn't quite as sharp after being so pumped the weak before.

And typically a trap game, to me, is a team that can beat you. And make no mistake that NC ST is, while a team we should beat, a team that can beat us. They have players who can go out there and take advantage if we aren't sharp.

I see us winning, with a relatively stress free fourth quarter, but if we don't go out there and perform well it could be a long night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't consider this a trap game, just a dangerous one

Sep 17, 2013, 9:44 AM

if we don't bring our A game.

Last time we played @NCST though was definitely a trap game. It was sandwiched right between the division clinching win vs Wake and the SC game. It also didn't help that we weren't playing good football at that point in the season.

I agree that Maryland is our trap game this year. In addition to that i think they might actually have a solid team.

We have no trap games. Just stop. Tiger Fan cards need to

Sep 17, 2013, 9:49 AM

be turned in or revoked if anyone has any nervousness about any of these games except FSU and the Coots. They legitimately deserve to get our nerves a bit out of shape. NC ST? Maryland? Good lord......barring injury, neither game will be competitive.

Thats why they are called trap games .. no reason to lose

Sep 17, 2013, 9:52 AM

them. Look at Michigan this week. Huge game last week against the Domers, then at home against Akron. Shuda gotten beat, cause they were outplayed all day long.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^only been a fan since 2012***

Sep 17, 2013, 9:52 AM [ in reply to We have no trap games. Just stop. Tiger Fan cards need to ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Live in fear, people.....live in fear.....I'll be kicking

Sep 17, 2013, 9:58 AM

back enjoying the game Thursday. I'll save my nervousness for FSU and the Coots. You guys carry the banner of every week being worried about NC State or Wake or well, basically every team. Maybe that makes the game more exciting.....I dunno.

Whatever you say man.

Sep 17, 2013, 11:05 AM [ in reply to We have no trap games. Just stop. Tiger Fan cards need to ]

Clemson 56 - Maryland 45 - A game that we trailed by 17 pts in the 3rd q against a bad Maryland team that finished 2-10 and would've lost without some late magic.

NC ST 37 - Clemson 13 - No need to comment on this one.

GT 31 - Clemson 17 - Dominated throughout. I think we trailed by double digits the entire game.

FSU 49 - Clemson 37 - A good FSU team, but we had leads of 28-14 and 31-21 in the 3rd q and still trailed 49-31 in the 4th and lost by double digits.

Clemson 45 - BC 31 - We beat a really bad BC team that finished 2-10, but struggled throughout, and this was still a game fairly late in the 2nd half. That would've been a losing effort against most decent teams.

Don't question my Clemson fandom just because I'm being reasonable and acknowledging that we have struggled in ACC road games, even last season.

Re: I wouldn't consider this a trap game, just a dangerous one

Sep 17, 2013, 10:01 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't consider this a trap game, just a dangerous one ]

I remember the last game we played up there against state. if you can call that playing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This team's mentality is different.

Sep 17, 2013, 10:03 AM

From the coaches down, I don't think there's a game on the schedule that they will underestimate. Just the feeling that I get.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Should Take Care Of Business----

Sep 17, 2013, 10:30 AM

I believe Clemson's mentality is different
as I read article after article. Its just
amazing on how much of a contender or champion
we would have been, if we had the kind of mentality
and preperation processes through the years when
we had 1 or 2 losses or 2 or 3 losses to teams
we flat out should have steam rolled.

The things that makes it trap game for me is when
I feel a team is going to be so jacked up for us.
When a team that we are going to play all of a
sudden has a world dominating offense and defense
just for that game or three. Then there is location,
location, location. For example that Carrier Dome
that looks like a swimcenter somewhere deep and way
in Canada somewhere. Then there is Carter-Finley, the
place we will be thursday night.

I'm worried but when I think about the day James Davis
went wild up there,,,...when Woody Danztler went wild
up there I sure myself that we can do the same.
Question is who will go wild for Clemson thursday?

Me thinks

Sep 17, 2013, 10:54 AM

FILO butto is full of shitto and is a little cooto !!!

Yeah, I'm a Coot. You figured it out. What a dumba$$.***

Sep 17, 2013, 8:32 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic