Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who got the better end of the deal?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,369

Who got the better end of the deal?

Aug 4, 2020, 12:16 PM

My son was a student-athlete playing a non-revenue sport at Clemson, and not on a full scholarship. Entering Clemson as a Freshman, he fully understood the NCAA rules, his scholarship terms, and the possible paths to the next level. What he may not have realized at the time and may never because he won’t have experienced the other side, are the tremendous benefits that are afforded to student-athletes. He took advantage of all of benefits Clemson and his sport had to offer and does to this day.

It is possible to put a price on some things: trainers, nutritionists, psychologists, and coaches and that price is high. Other things are almost impossible to value monetarily… relationships, the process of maturing, guidance offered by University support staff etc.

I am not extremely well read on the situation with Football, but it seems to me there are at least 2 simple ways of looking at it. 1) upon entering, fully understand the NCCA rules, scholarship terms, and the possible paths to the next level (copied from first paragraph), 2) be part of a change.

To follow the second path appears to carry a certain amount of risk and ignores the intangibles, but if a person or athlete understands that risk and is willing to face it, more power to them as an individual or group. Win big or lose big.

My son gave up somewhere in the neighborhood of $500K+ in income to stay just one more semester and left in debt. It was a decision I did not agree with at the time, but he knew the risks, and it all worked out in the end as he is now a professional athlete who is enjoying success.

When read about what’s going on in college football, I ask myself – between Clemson and my son who passed on $$$$$$, who got the better end of the deal?

The answer in my head and heart is that ‘he did’.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who got the better end of the deal?

Aug 4, 2020, 12:27 PM

And good luck to your athletes future, and hopefully it last for a very long time!!!! Go Tiger!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May I ask his name and sport, so that I can follow and

Aug 4, 2020, 2:18 PM

provide moral support?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: May I ask his name and sport, so that I can follow and

Aug 4, 2020, 2:23 PM

in reviewing his previous post it sounds like he may be a golfer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,369
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic