Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lulzers....stay woke, Nancy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 940

Lulzers....stay woke, Nancy

Jun 16, 2020, 11:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lulzers....stay woke, Nancy

Jun 17, 2020, 12:41 AM

She’s wearing that face mask like a chin strap...is coach about to put her in the game?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

funny thing about the woke crowd

Jun 17, 2020, 6:13 AM

they are so offended by everything that nothing escapes them. Somebodies feelings are hurt no matter what happens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is America, some say it was build on freedom of...

Jun 17, 2020, 7:58 AM

pandering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obed, you're participating in the ignorance echo chamber.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:02 AM

Probably better if you find out why they were wearing it, and what it means to the people behind it, than to fall into the manipulations of right-wing media nonsense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Did PBS fact check that?***

Jun 17, 2020, 8:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.***

Jun 17, 2020, 8:10 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Oh lawd. Smh***

Jun 17, 2020, 8:20 AM [ in reply to Obed, you're participating in the ignorance echo chamber. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Obed, you're participating in the ignorance echo chamber.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:31 AM [ in reply to Obed, you're participating in the ignorance echo chamber. ]

That lady has been in Washington her whole life. What has she done for black people? These issues have been around at least 25 years. What has she been doing? Crafting bipartisan legislation to help with funding to train police officers?

I mean what has she done, but get on one knee to pander and then need help getting back up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great questions.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:45 AM

Much better subject matter than the Kente-cloth nonsense, which is merely the echo-chamber special of the day and will be replaced by another equally meaningless one tomorrow.

- Jonathan Swift

LOL at the thought USAToday is right-wing.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Obed, you're participating in the ignorance echo chamber. ]

Just LO ####### L

ya, that was a good one***

Jun 17, 2020, 8:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And you guys think this is about the USA Today.

Jun 17, 2020, 9:21 AM

"B-b-but his post says USA Today! B-b-but..."

Sorry, try again.

- Jonathan Swift

When did claims of “ignorance” become the go-to as

Jun 17, 2020, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Obed, you're participating in the ignorance echo chamber. ]

A replacement for a substantive reply? Pretty sure USA Today hasn’t been accused of right-wingery, but if I’m drowning in ignorance, enlighten me. Shouldn’t be hard. Personally I’m thinking one of her handlers saw these in Black Panther and said “how about this?” And she said “oooohhh, that DOES look Africa-y”, but if there’s some deep rooted tradition other than what I posted for an old white woman to wear a garment from slave trading Africans, lemme know. Absent that, a claim of ignorance, about anything, is as good as a fart in the wind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lets say a bunch of Pubs, not even Trump, did that

Jun 17, 2020, 9:00 AM

How much mockery and claims of racism there would be right now? It would be nonstop

OK Obed.

Jun 17, 2020, 9:31 AM [ in reply to When did claims of “ignorance” become the go-to as ]

#1, if you think I'm talking about the USA Today, you're ignorant.

#2, I'm talking about the right-wing meme about the Kente scarves.

#3, your post of an image of the USA Today headline is not a proof that the right-wing meme doesn't exist.

#4, the right-wing meme is that Nancy is wearing clothes that are pro-slavery (or some such tripe; right-wing memes are classically unclear about what argument they're actually making).

#5, the right-wing whine about Pelosi: why doesn't she stop pandering and pass some actual legislation! Meanwhile they ignore the fact that the Kente cloth scene lasted less than 10 minutes and was followed by the passage of legislation.

#6, the USA Today actually pointed out that fact (but right-wingers stay ignorant by failing to read past headlines).

#7, the USA actually says the following: "In the Facebook post, Brandon acknowledges kente cloth’s historical ties to the slave trade, however, he ignores the broader cultural significance the cloth has to West African and African American culture."

Now Obed, I ask you, which of the above things did you know before now? Did you know the the USA Today explained why there is historical meaning beyond what the tweet said? If you did know, then you posted something that is intentionally misleading.

So, having communicated with you at some length and finding you a decent person who probably doesn't intentionally mislead, but also thinking that you are smart, I decided it must be that you haven't looked into it and learned about it. Hence, ignorance.

Substantive enough a reply for you?

- Jonathan Swift

If you presume I’ve seen the “right wing meme”

Jun 17, 2020, 9:44 AM

You’re ignorant as well. I haven’t, unless you’re talking about the Toto one I posted. That’s straight fire humor.

If you think it was appropriate for her to wear it for 5 seconds as a transparent vote-pandering tactic, you’re also ignorant.

Let this nice lady enlighten you. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/11/educate-yourself-before-you-wear-kente/

I find you to be intelligent as well, which is why the usual “ignorant” trope was more than unexpected. I don’t dwell in right or left wing echo chambers, and if you haven’t realized that, you’re....well, you know. I find it humorous when a shameless attempt at maintaining power via vote trolling goes awry. Full stop.

Re: If you presume I’ve seen the “right wing meme”

Jun 17, 2020, 9:48 AM

Can you let me know what your actual argument is so I can address it?

The meme is trying to stir up controversy where there isn't one. You're engaging in the meme. But go ahead and spell out whatever non-ignorant argument you think you have. Is it that link? Is that link to the Washington Post your argument?

- Jonathan Swift

what the F is this “meme” you keep talking about?

Jun 17, 2020, 9:50 AM

Explain that first and then I’ll see what I can do for you.

I have no idea either...maybe I've lost my right-wing....

Jun 17, 2020, 9:52 AM

street creds.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Making hay about Pelosi wearing the scarf is the meme.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:00 AM

A meme is an idea that survives and multiplies in a manner not entirely unlike a gene, though it is an imperfect metaphor.

So... Obed, what's the argument you're making?

- Jonathan Swift

Yeah, I think spooneye is using "meme"

Jun 17, 2020, 10:10 AM

as an abstract, general term, not talking about a specific jpg or gif file.

Just say it

Jun 17, 2020, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Making hay about Pelosi wearing the scarf is the meme. ]

You used “meme” incorrectly.

Re: Just say it

Jun 17, 2020, 10:30 AM

No dog in this fight, but the word meme was coined in the 70’s by Richard Dawkins and Spooneye gave a good summary of what Dawkins meant by it. It’s been taken to mean something else completely today in internet-world.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok then, I think that’s pretty gay of him, and

Jun 17, 2020, 1:11 PM

Of course I mean it how it was used in the 1940s and not how everyone uses it today.

Is this how you continue dodging the substantive post?

Jun 17, 2020, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Just say it ]

Where's your substance, Obed?

And no, I'm using the original sense of "meme." It was usurped by internet doofuses.

- Jonathan Swift

Apologies to leave you waiting. 2 hours round trip to take

Jun 17, 2020, 1:07 PM

Car to dealer because A/C crapped out for 2nd time in two years. Ok, back to topic. Lemme sum it up too.

1) what you saw wasn’t a snapshot of just the headline. That fact checker works for USA Today. If you go to his acct, that’s how he posts his fact checks. No intentional omission.

2) Yes, I’m perfectly aware that kentes mean different things. Patterns, materials, how they’re used....I won’t claim to be a scholar on the topic, but obviously all kentes aren’t a giant fist in the air supporting intra-African slavery.

3) Pelosi was pandering just like Trump was pandering with the Bible photo-op. If you disagree, I won’t say you’re ignorant, but you’re blinded by partisanship.

4) there is schadenfreude-driven humor to be found in a con artist effing up, whether it’s Trump holding the Bible upside down or Pelosi wearing the colors and materials of one of the slavery-engaging tribes of Africa with celebratory colors instead of the more somber ones dictated by her photo opp.. Additionally, when you consider that her side has beaten the “cultural appropriation” drum for years, this is about as transparent an example of that as I can imagine. The next step for her would have been the lion cape from Coming to America. Many black citizens have posted similar, so this isn’t clutching at pearls.

5) You’re invested in this not being an embarrassing moment for her, and maintaining some sense of gravity. I recognize that and don’t hold it against you. You’ll just have to understand that for many of us it’s enjoyable to see a mean-spirited and morally deficient person have a brief moment of comeuppance, whether it’s her or Donald. Don’t worry, I suspect it’ll be a blip on the radar for her base.

6) in summary “it’s a joke”. Lighten up with the echo chamber BS. Cheers.

Re: Apologies to leave you waiting. 2 hours round trip to take

Jun 17, 2020, 6:14 PM

Good sum up, and thanks. I won't go much further but you added a few things, so...

1) Your post was just an image, not an article. So I read the USA Today article. I quoted it to you, didn't I?

2) I think we agree on how kente is not a giant slavery icon.

3) Was Pelosi pandering? I don't know, sure, why not, who cares. If it was, she was pandering to the BCC, the ones who gave her the scarf just before she went to sign the legislation. It would be like if some religious Senators handed Trump a Bible just before he signed some religious protection legislation into law... although Pelosi probably believes in her issue, as opposed to Trump who two Corinthians.

4) Agreed that it's fun to laugh at politicians. But the slavery nonsense doesn't covert this into a laughable Pelosi moment. The slavery thing is a trumped up piece of nonsense, custom made for people who have never heard of kente.

5) I don't care if Pelosi is embarrassed. Why would I? Just because she's a Democrat? I'm invested in people not being fooled into repeating things that fool other people. I am invested in shooting down false memes. I do it to my social justice warrior leftist friend on Facebook. (The leftists think I'm a right-wing nazi.) I try not to discriminate.

6) Cheers!

- Jonathan Swift

Re: Just say it

Jun 17, 2020, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Just say it ]

https://youtu.be/ct1RxINTkEU

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

His post is from USA Today...how is it ignorant...

Jun 17, 2020, 9:51 AM [ in reply to OK Obed. ]

to think you were referring to the USA Today post in replying to his post? How would anyone know you were actually talking about some "right-wing meme" not previously referenced?

Did you not sleep well last night or something?

No, his post is an image of a headline from USA Today.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:02 AM

It is ignorant to think that's a "post from USA Today," but that's where our political discourse lives right now.

- Jonathan Swift

Admittedly, I knew nothing of any of this until this thread

Jun 17, 2020, 10:03 AM [ in reply to When did claims of “ignorance” become the go-to as ]

Admittedly, I knew nothing of any of this until this thread, but a quick Internet search on Kente cloth led me to an article that explained that the Congressional Black Caucus gifted the scarves to other congressional Democrats in order to celebrate African culture. They have apparently worn them previously when passing legislation in the house that would benefit black communities. And, notably they did in fact pass legislation shortly after. The same article explained that some members of the African tribes with which the cloths are affiliated were upset at them being used as props, but others were happy that A representation of their culture was on display.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if I already know that is a kente cloth....

Jun 17, 2020, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Obed, you're participating in the ignorance echo chamber. ]

and think it looks like pandering to be wearing that and then pausing to take a knee for a photo op?

Better yet...I haven't looked/searched, but I'd willing to bet that some other wokes took some kind of offense / surprise from it.

Re: What if I already know that is a kente cloth....

Jun 17, 2020, 9:34 AM

Well, it was the idea of the Black Congressional Caucus, not Pelosi.

- Jonathan Swift

She does look pretty dang good for being 80***

Jun 17, 2020, 9:01 AM

Looks like getting pre-embalmed at 75 paid off.***

Jun 17, 2020, 9:07 AM

Yep...do they actually botox teddies now too?***

Jun 17, 2020, 9:55 AM

They should wear these scarves instead

Jun 17, 2020, 10:55 AM

Wearing the African scarf is beyond ridiculous. Couldn't they have just taken a knee and moment of silence without playing dress-up?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She’s the Lyin Queen for sure***

Jun 17, 2020, 3:19 PM

She’s the Lyin Queen for sure***

Jun 17, 2020, 3:19 PM

Replies: 39
| visibility 940
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic