Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Legacy Recruits
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Legacy Recruits

Jan 8, 2015, 11:37 AM

Can they help the football program, maybe/maybe not. But it promotes the "All In" mantra, it pays homage to former Tigers, and we have to trust that Dabo will not make a decision that will adversely affect the goals of the football team. I'll defer to the coaches and support their decision.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Legacy Recruits

Jan 8, 2015, 11:40 AM

do we know if Dale Hatcher has any kids?

TIA.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2015, 8:13 PM

or Chris Gardocki?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2015, 12:08 PM

Don't have a problem with legacy recruits as long as we would legitimately be looking at them if they didn't have family play at Clemson. With a limit on how many players we can bring in, it's just too risky to do otherwise.
However, how many of us wish we'd taken Larry Nance's son?
Go Tigers!!

Mitch Hyatt is a legacy recruit, I think he'll help

Jan 8, 2015, 12:16 PM

;)

So was Deshawn Williams***

Jan 8, 2015, 12:17 PM

Re: Mitch Hyatt is a legacy recruit, I think he'll help

Jan 8, 2015, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Mitch Hyatt is a legacy recruit, I think he'll help ]

Mitch was a 5 star with offers from almost everyone in the country not Gardner Webb and Presbyterian.

Two totally different types of legacy players.

How do you think he came to choose us?

Jan 8, 2015, 3:28 PM

Who was the last 5 star OL to even give us a legit sniff?

Re: How do you think he came to choose us?

Jan 8, 2015, 3:32 PM

Because he's a legacy and idolizes his uncle. But there's a significant difference between Hyatt and Trapp or the Davis Twins as far as being football prospects.

Bookmark this, The Dais Twins will contribute before

Jan 8, 2015, 3:35 PM

leaving. Everyone seems to forget , these 2 young men graduated HS a FULL year early. Meaning they never played their Senior years. Didn't start Clemson until this week and will redshirt next year. A lot of coaching will be absorbed before they ever see the field.

Re: Bookmark this, The Dais Twins will contribute before

Jan 8, 2015, 3:36 PM

"Bookmark this, The Dais Twins will contribute before leaving." Contribute in what way ?

Hope so, heir dad was not a high level recruit

Jan 8, 2015, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Bookmark this, The Dais Twins will contribute before ]

just as good a football player as we have ever had, and a better person

Question for you? When was the last time our 85

Jan 8, 2015, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: How do you think he came to choose us? ]

scholarship limit was completely filled out by guys we truly recruited? Never? Think of these guys as those 4-5 walkons who get schollies every year

Re: How do you think he came to choose us?

Jan 8, 2015, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: How do you think he came to choose us? ]

At this point, Dabo can offer any recruit he likes and it's OK with me. So whine all you like. Or pick another team with another coach. Dabo is in charge and he knows a lot more about recruiting than you.

Not only is Hyatt a Legacy, he could be given the credit

Jan 8, 2015, 3:32 PM [ in reply to How do you think he came to choose us? ]

for getting the ball rolling on the best OL class we've had in a very long time.

Probably ever***

Jan 8, 2015, 3:33 PM

Jan 8, 2015, 3:28 PM

AGREE ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! if we sometimes do not get a STAR out of this group the overall result is a HUGE PLUS!!If Dabo is our coach( I sure am glad he is) let him coach and make these decisions. If we some times do not get full worth out of a scolly overall it is worth what we are doing.Would U rather have LOTS of former players giving full support to the program or not??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You left out

Jan 8, 2015, 3:29 PM

Promotes the family aura around Clemson that sells so many recruits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

The problem isn't that they are a legacy recruit

Jan 8, 2015, 5:19 PM

the problem is they have been given a scholarship based off family connections instead of talent. Specifically Trapp and the Davis twins would not have been offered a scholarship based off of current Clemson recruiting standards if they were not legacy players. They may have been given a chance as a preferred walk on with a chance to earn a scholarship but not a full scholarship. As for the look at these 2* players we recruited in the past people, in the here and now we are past having to recruit the 2* athlete to fill out a recruiting cycle. Yes the Davis' and Trapp offers may have not been an anomaly in the TB years but you don't have 3 ten win seasons recruiting 2* players (see the TB years). We could have an entire team of legacy players if they were still 4 or 5* recruits, which is why all the "what about Mitch Hyatt", talk is irrelevant. Hyatt would have been recruited and offered the same and with the exact same interest whether he had an uncle that attended school here 30 years ago or not, which is a lot different than your dad being on the current payroll by the way.

I must say however that if there were a year where you were going to bring in a few players on a favor and burn a couple spots this year is the year. With the returning talent and the ones coming in this year the legacy guys will be able to spend their time on the practice squad, maybe see some PT Junior and Senior year and leave without having any negative impact on the program. The only problem is what kind of precedent is this setting that in a year where recruiting takes a hit we miss on some much needed talent because we have 4 or 5 schollies tied up on legacy's.

Check your data

Jan 8, 2015, 6:58 PM

Trapp didn't get a scholly. Not sure about the Davis twins either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Check your data

Jan 8, 2015, 7:02 PM

The Twins get one this year and trapp gets one next year .

Link?

Jan 8, 2015, 7:05 PM

Or are you supposing?

No, it is pretty much known that all three were offered

Jan 8, 2015, 7:19 PM

gray shirts, which means they don't get a scholarship this year but are first in line to get a scholarship next year.

Re: Link?

Jan 8, 2015, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Link? ]

I can't copy and past or I would but check this link out and go to the bottom of the page it will say
Midyear list all of those guy are now on scholarship.

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/The-future-arrives-Clemson-welcomes-midyear-enrollees-campus-13419

Found this

Jan 8, 2015, 8:24 PM

http://recruiting-101.com/what-is-a-grayshirt-scholarship-offer/

So the David twins committed in 2013, sat out 2014, and will enroll in 2015. I guess Trapp will enroll in 2016.

I'm still siding with Dabo on this. I know from my business experience that loyalty pays dividends many times over. These kids aren't chopped liver either. Grady Jarrett is evidence that you don't have to be a 4 or 5 star to be a star.

They are gray shirts

Jan 8, 2015, 8:07 PM [ in reply to The problem isn't that they are a legacy recruit ]

So they will have a full scholarship within the year.

Re: They are gray shirts

Jan 8, 2015, 8:09 PM

The twins and Williams yes are on scholarship now but trapp will come in next year in January

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic