Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Leaving for Blacksburg Fri morning. Do any of ..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Leaving for Blacksburg Fri morning. Do any of ..

Sep 27, 2017, 8:04 AM

you guys have recommendations for points of interest worth stopping and visiting on the way up? We're leaving from upstate sc area. Also, is there a designated meeting place for Tiger fans on Fri night in Blacksburg that anyone knows of? TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Re: Leaving for Blacksburg Fri morning. Do any of ..

Sep 27, 2017, 8:26 AM

It isnt exactly on the way up but Natural Bridge and VMI / Lexington area have some interesting things if youre in to history

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2017, 8:34 AM

Thanks. Just the kind of thing I'm looking for! I will see if I can fit it into my travel plans. thanks again, +1

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Sep 27, 2017, 8:50 AM

The National D-Day Memorial is in Bedford, just north of Roanoke on I-81.

Per capita, more young men from Bedford died on D-Day than any other community in America. It is why the memorial was built there.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Leaving for Blacksburg Fri morning. Do any of .. ]

There's a Cracker Barrel at turnoff on Interstate where you have to go to get to Blacksburg

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2017, 8:54 AM

http://kybourbontrail.com/map/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 27, 2017, 10:44 AM

NOTE: I cannot stress the importance of not excessively speeding once you hit the Virginia line on I-77. You will be welcomed by the boys in blue in mass.

If you follow GPS instructions it will probably take you through Christiansburg off of I-81 to Blacksburg. An alternate and more scenic route would be to take Route 100 at Dublin and head towards Pearisburg, 20+ odd miles away. This is a four-lane road that goes over a mountain with a nice view. Once down the big hill, the road turns to two lanes for another three miles or so, before turning back to four lanes. It is not a difficult drive. Once you hit Pearisburg, look for the old, big red Courthouse replete with a statue of a soldier from the Civil War. Going this way, you will pass the site of two battles, one relatively big and important and one small, from that war (Cloyd's Mountain and Giles Courthouse - George Patton's uncle was wounded there). Turn right at the Courthouse which puts you on the business Route 460. Drive through town a mile or so and you'll pass a few fast-food joints and Wallyworld before getting on the four-lane version of 460 direct to Blacksburg another 20 miles. The view ain't bad. Along the way, you will have possibilities of doing a fairly easy two-mile hike up for the average walker to Cascades Falls in Pembroke (easily searched for directions and more info.) or going up another mountain to Mountain Lake Hotel/Lodge where a good portion of the 80's movie Dirty Dancing was filmed. That's a good place for lunch but on game day, especially one with a late starting time, lunch facilities on top of a mountain at the Hotel that close to Blacksburg could be stretched.

Have a safe trip.

YES...

Sep 27, 2017, 11:46 AM

Bojangles and McDonalds

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic