Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With a change at the top comes a period of transition
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,289

With a change at the top comes a period of transition

Nov 30, 2012, 1:35 PM

I don't know too many people who weren't done with Bowden by the end. But with the termination of a long-time coach, there is always some turmoil. We know we lost Craig Loston, Devonte Holloman and Stephon Gilmore when we fired Bowden. Do we get Clowney if we keep his former teammates Gilmore and Holloman? Very likely. Who else did we lose due to the concern over CDS's inexperience? We then signed a class of 12 that was reduced to 10 when J K Jay had to quit football and Bryce McNeal transferred. Essentially we had a self-imposed probation for the 2009 season, and the painful dividends are still evident. However, we have a head coach I really like, but in terms of coaching experience, he's a baby. He is competing against a Hall of Fame coach at USuCk in games and recruiting. But the HOF coach is 67 and is hinting he's about done. He won't be there more than another 2 years if that. The bottom line is we're a work in progress, not an established program. It took SOS four years to get rolling. And now he's going to leave and USuCk will be back in the transitional phase. I don't care who they hire. It will happen. Sit tight friends. We will keep bringing in talent, our coaches will continue to mature and we will continue to get better. Good things are coming. And we're doing it the right way.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holloman was lost when he transferred to South Pointe.

Nov 30, 2012, 1:40 PM

Gilmore was lost when he returned home from his Clemson trip (where he commited) and Korncoot started blowing up the USuC hotline to get the anti-Clemson propoganda machine running full force in his ear.

Loston decommited because Bowden was let go.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Philpot??? He's a Clemson homer dude***

Nov 30, 2012, 1:45 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I assumed he meant Phil Kornblut***

Nov 30, 2012, 1:46 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right, typing this while listening to Philpot.***

Nov 30, 2012, 1:47 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I guess so ... It confused me.***

Nov 30, 2012, 1:47 PM [ in reply to I assumed he meant Phil Kornblut*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lattimore was also a Clemson commit before Bowden

Nov 30, 2012, 1:41 PM

was fired I believe. I have heard this numerous times.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think so .. he grew up a #### fan and his sister was

Nov 30, 2012, 1:44 PM

there...

Lattimore was never a Clemson commit***

Nov 30, 2012, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Lattimore was also a Clemson commit before Bowden ]

Lattimore was always going to SC.***

Nov 30, 2012, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Lattimore was also a Clemson commit before Bowden ]

if Chad Morris leaves, then we have to re-evaluate this

Nov 30, 2012, 1:54 PM

strategy, and either Dabo needs to take control of the offense or we need someone like Brad Scott to do so.

The reason is, we can't keep bringing in up-and-comers as coordinators and then either firing or losing them. Otherwise we'll be perpetually rebuilding.

I don't personally think Dabo would be that great as OC, but at some point he's got to own this, and we've got to close the revolving door.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So far, all coordinators who have left have been let go.

Nov 30, 2012, 2:15 PM

But if one coordinator leaves, we have to reevaluate? Coordinators leave good programs all the time. It's how promotion works in college football.

That's a pretty flawed strategy. Since a very successful OC

Dec 1, 2012, 9:43 AM [ in reply to if Chad Morris leaves, then we have to re-evaluate this ]

might leave for a great head coaching position, we are going to stop hiring talented OC's?

Seriously? Offensive coordinators, for the most part, are interested in becoming head coaches. You want them to want career advancement. It means they try hard.

You also don't mind every now and then when a successful coach gets a good opportunity. Makes it easier to hire the next talent.

You obviously haven't every been in management.

Re: With a change at the top comes a period of transition

Dec 1, 2012, 8:29 AM

And why did a school like Clemson,who has great facilities,great fan support and lots of money hire a coach who is learning on the job?

Re: With a change at the top comes a period of transition

Dec 1, 2012, 9:11 AM

Dabo better beat USuCk next year, or there will be another transition at the top.

Re: if Chad Morris leaves, then we have to re-evaluate this

Dec 1, 2012, 9:27 AM

Like many posters on here, I don't feel like researching but my impressions of most top programs is that the OC is very much a transient position.

The programs continue to survive because of good succession planning/hiring by the head coach. If an OC has been at a successful major school for a long time (+4 years), it is most likely they have interviewed and have not gotten the next HC job or they are too old or have already tried the HC job and want no part of it.

That is my non-researched opine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if Chad Morris leaves, then we have to re-evaluate this

Dec 1, 2012, 9:55 AM

Some head coaches are also the offensive coordinators, Spurrier for example. That does lead to a little more consistantcy at the position.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,289
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic